Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Mineral and metal modding madness  (Read 4092 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Mineral and metal modding madness
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 02:06:52 am »

Nice project. Still doesn't quite beat my Mineral mod though. ;)

There's quite a number of chromium alloys Dwarves could theoretically use, plus aluminium derivatives. I think I even had Osmiridium/Iridiosmium in there. And rubber. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 02:13:04 am »

Titanium can be produced in a thermite reaction also. Gives pure metallic titanium too! And if you've seen a thermite reaction, you know it's quite dwarfy.

Requires- Titanium oxide=Rutile
Plaster of Paris= Gypsum
Aluminum powder= Processed native aluminum
Fluorite= Fluorspar (a type of crystal that can be found in granite, dolomite and limestone)
Source of ignition = Magnesium

I found a source, and that is quite interesting, but it mentioned potassium chlorate, not plaster of paris.

Also, it seems like these reactions are really tricky to do, requiring very pure materials in strict ratios.

There's quite a number of chromium alloys Dwarves could theoretically use, plus aluminium derivatives. I think I even had Osmiridium/Iridiosmium in there.

I doubt this.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

quinntan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 02:25:43 am »

Got my source from here: http://www.popsci.com/node/30347
He used CaSO4 for it so gypsum should work.

Also read that this reaction only gives small pieces of titanium so maybe each reaction would give a "wafer" sized piece of titanium.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 02:36:39 am by quinntan »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 02:56:37 am »

Interesting, but I'm still not convinced that they could purify the materials enough for it to be usable.

There's also the issue that they wouldn't know how to do it. I mean, I've mentioned before that something being theoretically possible isn't enough. It's theoretically possible for them to invent all the technology up to and including our own, if they had the raw materials, but there's a reason technological progress isn't instantaneous, and dwarves discovering some extremely obscure, impractical-to-the-point-of-probable-impossibility, tricky reaction involving a metal that they can hardly ever find in the first place (aluminum, which they wouldn't want to waste) doesn't seem plausible to me.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

quinntan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 03:09:55 am »

I'm pretty sure the lumps are plenty pure but you are right about the dwarves not knowing about it. Wasn't discovered until the 1893 when aluminum ceased to be valuable. So yeah, probably out of the time frame of the game even if dwarves know a lot about metals and rocks.

Though it is theoretically possible...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 03:12:26 am »

When I referred to purity, I meant that of the ingredients used. Very few naturally-occuring minerals are terribly pure, and it can be hard to purify them, depending on the methods available.

Judging from the stuff I've found on the internet regarding thermite-reduction of titanium, it's a pretty exacting process.

quinntan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 03:19:45 am »

That's true but the thermite reaction is more likely to occur then shade-o's hunter process seeing as he's using chloride and sodium ions rather than chlorine gas and metallic sodium. Plus the reaction between the titanium tetrachloride and metallic sodium needs to occur in a vacuum.

Perhaps titanium is out of the reach of the dwarves.

immolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 06:05:11 am »

...else you'd have to say that diamonds are a good fuel source too, which they're not (extremely difficult to burn).

Currently Diamonds burn up when getting into contact with magma. Yes, they ignite in fact. "Unlike other gems, diamonds can ignite if they come into contact with magma."
Your response means almost nothing. Yes diamonds can ignite when exposed to something extremely hot like magma which just proves as the original commenter said that they are an extremely bad source of energy. It takes so much energy to light a diamond that burning one would give you very little net gain. He noted that they are extremely difficult to burn all you did was prove him right since magma levels of heat equals difficult to burn.

EDIT: To the OP: Your new super metal's weight is insane. No dwarf could possibly wear full platemail of it without becoming incredibly slow. As it is adamantine which is required to create it has almost the same power but is 150 time lighter and thus far more usable.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 06:12:35 am by immolo »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 06:07:36 am »

There's always liquid oxygen... I wonder, how many tons of rock would be needed to provide the necessary pressure to make it?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2009, 01:35:51 pm »

There's always liquid oxygen... I wonder, how many tons of rock would be needed to provide the necessary pressure to make it?
apparently this isn't possible, unless of course the dwarves have figured out how to make and use refrigerants.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2009, 01:52:06 pm »

...else you'd have to say that diamonds are a good fuel source too, which they're not (extremely difficult to burn).

Currently Diamonds burn up when getting into contact with magma. Yes, they ignite in fact. "Unlike other gems, diamonds can ignite if they come into contact with magma."
Your response means almost nothing. Yes diamonds can ignite when exposed to something extremely hot like magma which just proves as the original commenter said that they are an extremely bad source of energy. It takes so much energy to light a diamond that burning one would give you very little net gain. He noted that they are extremely difficult to burn all you did was prove him right since magma levels of heat equals difficult to burn.

To be fair, the actual net gain of energy is better than graphite; a given quantity of diamond gives off more energy when combusting than graphite does, although probably less than coal. The issue is just the insane conditions required for it to burn.

In practice, though, you WOULD have a net loss in the sense that you'd be putting so much energy into doing it that you probably wouldn't be able to reclaim.

apparently this isn't possible, unless of course the dwarves have figured out how to make and use refrigerants.

Theoretically, you could have a pocket of gaseous oxygen and just put enough rock on top of it to pressurize the hell out of it and turn it into a liquid or solid. Of course, at reasonable temperatures it's likely you'll either need way too much pressure, or that amount of pressure will wind up putting it beyond its critical point and giving you something weird.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2009, 02:01:22 pm »

EDIT: To the OP: Your new super metal's weight is insane. No dwarf could possibly wear full platemail of it without becoming incredibly slow.

Unless they were a decent armour user of course. Super-light metals bore me anyway. If you want perfect protection, you should be prepared to wear half a mountain. Mythrill is for hobbits.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2009, 02:40:56 pm »

Toady has mentioned that his arbitrary cutoff date for technology in DF is c.1400AD.  This means you aren't getting a blast furnace or anything that requires remotely advanced technology to make.  This is the reason a lot of things just aren't included in vanilla DF.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2009, 02:06:23 pm »

And although using bones/skulls in reactions creates an errorlog entry, so far they seem to work fine in-game.

SKULLs works fine (except for errorlog), but reveal.exe will irreversibly corrupt smelter reactions.
Finis sanctificat media.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2009, 07:06:21 pm »

Boo Titanium! Yay Wolfram!

Wolfram is Tungsten, not Titanium.   ;)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4