Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Mineral and metal modding madness  (Read 4093 times)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Mineral and metal modding madness
« on: November 13, 2009, 05:48:41 am »

One dark night, in the throes of an illness possessed by a strange mood, I vowed to create a whole new set of stones and metals for my personal consumption. I offer up my ideas to you, not only for criticism, but also to start a thread based on our crazy dreams for the lustrous and hard elements and alloys that our Dwarves love so much.

Not listed are the extra gems and stones, and various adjustments of occurrence and productivity. Suffice to say that Marble and Limestone are more colourful, Amber is shiny, and Amazonite makes Microcline less useless. Coal and flux requirements aren't described except where notable.

I have done my homework (thank you wikipedia!), and ignored it only when the rule of cool proved overwhelming. There are many new materials, and a few modifications to existing ones. Post your ideas for comparison! What should our Dwarves find below? Did listening to CaramellDansen on loop for a whole week two whole weeks affect me? Did I mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn?

Elements
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gold Alloys

Coal, wonderful Coal

Mundane Industry

Legendary Metals

Extra Elements

Waste & More

I could post the raws, but this is slightly more readable...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 05:53:06 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Mineral and metal modding madness
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 08:18:03 am »

Looks very cool! I might put this in my game when I get back on the computer to test it out.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 09:52:57 am »

I suppose I should put the entirety of my related raws up, otherwise it's like I'm just boasting and taunting at everyone...

It should also be noted that pretty much any reasonably hard metal can be made into equipment and mechanisms. Titanium gears and ceremonial gold spears!

Amber comes in a rainbow of small clusters in sediment, possibly with a single Blue Amber inside. There are also fossils in small clusters, which are extremely valuable. They can contain a 'flawless' version of themselves, worth even more. Some might even have a giant ancient fang (from something thankfully long dead) which can be made into a weapon like Obsidian.

Obsidian is now a lesser stone. While it still appears in layers around volcanoes, the actual Magma+Water product is the frightfully generic 'Cooled Magma'. It can be processed into equal amounts of Obsidian and Slag. Flawless Obsidian gems also occurs in natural layers, similarly with Flawless Jet.

And all the alloying reactions that use ore are gone, since they cluttered up both the raw and the game screen. >:(

And although using bones/skulls in reactions creates an errorlog entry, so far they seem to work fine in-game.

Entire Layers raw. Replace all.

Entire Minerals raw. Replace all.

Entire Metals raw. Replace all.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 11:35:44 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 11:31:41 am »

(character limit)

Entire Reactions raw. Replace all.

Partial Plants raw, used for certain reactions. Simply add to existing.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 11:37:11 am by Shade-o »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 11:34:58 am »

Boo Titanium! Yay Wolfram!

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 11:55:10 am »

Graphite
Graphite (now refinable!) is a fine, pure coal and produces 5 bars.

Anthracite
Anthracite (new!) is an extremely good grade of coal, producing 6 bars.

I got the impression when I was doing my own coal mod that Graphite was a more concentrated version of carbon than Anthracite, so my graphite makes 6 and my Anthracite makes 5. *shrug*

You may wish to add a type of Peat as a fuel source (Peat is a precursor to coal, through the metamorphic process of heat and pressure, Peat becomes Lignite which becomes Bituminous which becomes Anthracite which becomes Graphite. I it is impossible to use an entire soil layer as material for a reaction, but you can add in a type of Peat (Hard Peat or Fuel Peat) as a mineral that appears in Peat and other soil layers (not the most elegant of hacks but...). I used 1 fuel peat makes 2 coke (which makes it as useful as a tree).

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 12:17:44 pm »

You say you've done your homework, so I feel like some nitpicks are justified here.

• Pretty much everything under the "elements" table is rather inappropriate for dwarves to have. Basically, there's a reason why Toady left out the metals and such that he did, with few exceptions. I suggest looking up "smelting" on wikipedia or something, because the idea of dwarves somehow smelting titanium dioxide, of all things, confuses my sciencebrains. The same goes for phosphorus, having not been discovered until something like the 1600s. But you seem to have made up some sort of bug that has it inside it, so that works I guess. I'm REALLY not sure how you expect the titanium extraction method listed under "legendary metals" to work. Yes, salt has chlorine and sodium in it, but it's not going to help. Titanium reduction, for what it's worth, is extremely complicated even today, and requires all kinds of stuff dwarves don't and shouldn't have.
    • I'm not really sure graphite would make good coal at all. Density and purity aside, graphite is the most stable allotrope of carbon there is, so you wouldn't get nearly as much energy from burning it as you would from coal, pound-for-pound, and it might be more difficult to burn as well. I could be wrong about something here, but you definitely have to consider more than how pure it is (in terms of carbon) and how dense it is, or else you'd have to say that diamonds are a good fuel source too, which they're not (extremely difficult to burn).
    • Magnesium's ignition point is at 600 degrees celsius. I'm not sure how low you consider that, but it's a whole lot higher than something like wood, and significantly higher than gasoline.
    • White gold would more likely be produced with nickel, as it has been for a long time in the real world. A gold-platinum alloy would probably work fine, although with something as valuable and unique as platinum it might not necessarily be a good idea.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 12:20:56 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 05:05:37 pm »

...else you'd have to say that diamonds are a good fuel source too, which they're not (extremely difficult to burn).

Currently Diamonds burn up when getting into contact with magma. Yes, they ignite in fact. "Unlike other gems, diamonds can ignite if they come into contact with magma."

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 06:56:43 pm »

While real Phosphorus can be made by refining pretty much any old bone (or other body products) I went for the simplest path and made a livestock that Dwarves breed almost exclusively for the glowing element. Given that it is a large, cow-level beast that glows to some extent, some enterprising dwarf would find out sooner rather than later that not only can you extract the glowiness, but that it burns in a very interesting way. The same applies to Sulphur: The dangerous application of raw elements is a wonderful enterprise, if only so that you can burn things.

Magnesium is unique in that it is at first glance a normal metal, but at a mere 600C it bursts into flame. While it is good for making Mithril, making a room-sized Dwarven Road Flare to guide a caravan in is another valid option.

Burning = fun

You're probably right about the Graphite, though figuring out how much should make what in this game is like chasing a rainbow. I did intend to have Peat as a super-low grade, but I couldn't make it work at all. Then I got distracted by the other minerals...

Titanium is supposed to be hard to make. Possible, but hard. I expect that a Dwarf would see a vaguely metallic rock and their life goal would be to find a way to make something shiny out of it. Of course without modern marvels like electric smelting and vacuum chambers it's limited by their technology, but as long as there's a sliver of chance it could work a Dwarf will smelt it eventually. Without skill requirements on reactions and other workshops being editable, the best equivalent is to make it require a ton of ingredients for each bit. It also reflects how the process is crude and wasteful. That said, it probably wouldn't be possible at all without the elf sacrifices pleasing their god of volcanoes, metal, rainbows and trees. I suppose it's either divine intervention nudging the conditions around, or belief so strong that it does the same.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 12:59:44 am »

You're probably right about the Graphite, though figuring out how much should make what in this game is like chasing a rainbow. I did intend to have Peat as a super-low grade, but I couldn't make it work at all. Then I got distracted by the other minerals...

Start with:

Code: [Select]
[MATGLOSS_STONE:COAL_PEAT]
[NAME:peat][COLOR:0:6:1][TILE:'*']
[ENVIRONMENT:SOIL:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:PEAT:VEIN:100]
[SPEC_HEAT:409]
[IGNITE_POINT:11440]
[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:16708]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1346]

Use This:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:PEAT_TO_COKE]
[NAME:make coke from peat]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:COAL_PEAT]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:COKE]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:ASH:NO_MATGLOSS]
[FUEL]

(I have the lower end coals generate some ash to simulate that they are dirty fuels and have not been purified by heat and compacting.)

Modify as you like.

Done.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 01:54:08 am »

See, this is what I intended this thread for! Friends helping friends!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 08:32:12 pm »

Really, I was talking more about the possibility of dwarves extracting the elements and less about the elements themselves. Phosphorous is fine, but saying that extracting the rest is "possible, but very difficult" is sort of like saying that it's possible but difficult to walk to the Moon. You just can't really do it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 01:19:41 am »

I did a metal's mod a ways back that also had Slag but I used three varieties of Slag named Red, Black and Gray to correspond to the different ore types.  Typically the slag of one or type is rich in metals other similar metals such as gold and silver being found in Copper ore but not Iron ore.  I also included a new new alloys which you might find interesting and some alternative Iron smelting processes.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1032
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

quinntan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 12:46:29 am »

Titanium can be produced in a thermite reaction also. Gives pure metallic titanium too! And if you've seen a thermite reaction, you know it's quite dwarfy.

Requires- Titanium oxide=Rutile
Plaster of Paris= Gypsum
Aluminum powder= Processed native aluminum
Fluorite= Fluorspar (a type of crystal that can be found in granite, dolomite and limestone)
Source of ignition = Magnesium
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 01:07:35 am by quinntan »

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 01:15:20 am »

I'm starting to thin that perhaps I should have advertised the multitude of minerals and metals in my mod rather than the difficulty. Might have attracted more downloads  :'( I could post the minerals from it if anyone's interested...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4