Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What does your exercise routine look like?  (Read 3005 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
What does your exercise routine look like?
« on: November 12, 2009, 06:04:52 pm »

I started this thread because I was curious about what you guys (and girls) do for exercise. So, just post what your typical week looks like in terms of exercise.

I believe that this can be a civilized discussion, and I don't want to see it cluttered up by useless drivel. Only post if you have something to contribute; there are plenty of derailed threads out there if you feel like trolling.

Well, I guess I'll start. My schedule is rather erratic, but a full workout for me is:

100 push-ups (4 sets of 25)
50 crunches (2 sets of 25)
2 minutes of planks (2 sets of 60 seconds each, <a href="http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm>this is a plank[/url] if you don't know what one is.
20 arm extensions (2 sets of 10 for each arm, 15lb/6.8kg dumbbell)
20 curls (2 sets of 10, 45lb/20.4kg barbell)

I do this 2 to 5 times a week. In addition, I ride my bike 40 miles a week (8 miles a day on Monday through Friday.)

How about you guys? What does the Bay12 Fitness program look like?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: What does your exercise routine look like?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 06:06:14 pm »

Ha, that's a good one man.
Shoes...

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 06:08:16 pm »

its too eratic and inconsistant to really say...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 06:12:22 pm »

Pfff, you two wimps...

Normally, an hour and  a half of soccer practice on tuesday and thursday, plus a game on sunday (when in season, which just ended). Weight training on monday, tuesday, wednesday and thursday, which includes a quarter mile run and 50 crunches for a warmup, then a muscle-of-the-day workout. Plus sometimes (at least once a month) some sort of hike/camping activity (most recent was a 20 miler, but that sort of workout is newsworthy for my boy scout troop).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 06:15:13 pm »

I used to go on walks, but right now I'm sick and can't leave without supervision. So I can't really do much...
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 06:16:52 pm »

You guys actually do a hundred pushups, crunches, pulls, biking, and soccer every day?  Might I ask why?  Because I mean no disrespect, but I do have a hard time believing that from anyone on the Internet.

I don't have a workout routine, per se, but I do have a very physical job.  I load and unload trucks.  Generally, for two hours straight I'll push around air-freight containers (imagine a two ton shopping cart) with a couple other guys, and unload several of them (a lot of stepping and pivoting with 30+ pound boxes).  For the next two hours its the irregulars trailer, where I move and lift (with help) 70+ pound or awkwardly shaped packages (a lot of tires).

Because its not really a work out, once I got in good enough shape to do it without getting tired I stopped improving, because its not a strain anymore.  It also means I have a limited set of strengths.  For instance, I'm great at getting heavy weights off the floor (I can lift excess of my own weight if it's got good handles), but arm extensions are out of the question.  It's also long slow work, so my endurance is crap.  I get winded after ten minutes running, but some of that is just really bad technique.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 06:18:38 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 06:20:32 pm »

Well Im not that lazy. I used to run around in a weighted suit.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 06:25:36 pm »

I started this thread because I was curious about what you guys (and girls) do for exercise. So, just post what your typical week looks like in terms of exercise.

I believe that this can be a civilized discussion, and I don't want to see it cluttered up by useless drivel. Only post if you have something to contribute; there are plenty of derailed threads out there if you feel like trolling.

Well, I guess I'll start. My schedule is rather erratic, but a full workout for me is:

100 push-ups (4 sets of 25)
50 crunches (2 sets of 25)
2 minutes of planks (2 sets of 60 seconds each, <a href="http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm>this is a plank[/url] if you don't know what one is.
20 arm extensions (2 sets of 10 for each arm, 15lb/6.8kg dumbbell)
20 curls (2 sets of 10, 45lb/20.4kg barbell)

I do this 2 to 5 times a week. In addition, I ride my bike 40 miles a week (8 miles a day on Monday through Friday.)

Eh I can see several problems with your workout. I'm not an expert by any means and you should research anything I say further rather than taking me at face value. I don't really know what your aims are but for general fitness+health+lookin' good:
1. You're not working anything besides your arms/abs/chest(besides what the bike does for your legs). These are the very desirable muscles in an attractiveness sense sure, but your really need to add in other exercises for all the muscles or your gonna end up unbalanced.
2. Overtraining-its far more effective to work out each muscle only 1 day a week, unless your a complete beginner(which I wouldn't say you are as you can curl 45lbs). Your muscles need Time to heal, alot more than you think(unless you can only do very very light weights which you aren’t). Muscle growth actually slows when you work them too much. Instead of doing 2 sets every day, one day a week do 6-9 sets per muscle, two muscles a day. Be sure to vary the types of exercises (for example Biceps-curls and chin-ups).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 06:29:01 pm by Onlyhestands »
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 06:32:24 pm »

Just remember that he is not trying to be the hulk, with an routine like that. Besides, pushups work most muscles in the body (perhaps not enough, but they do)
Magma is overrated.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 06:40:05 pm »

Well, true, but even so he would benefit much more by not working out the same muscles that much per week. All he needs to do is add in dips/pullups/chinups and be careful not to overtrain.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 06:41:59 pm »

there is no such thing as overtraining.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 06:47:52 pm »

Yeah, there is. Unless your a complete beginer and doing very light weights, your muscles take time to heal.
http://scoobysworkshop.com/overtraining.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtraining
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/novice_overtraining.htm
Theres about a million more links online.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 06:50:50 pm by Onlyhestands »

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 06:50:15 pm »

Yeah, there is. Unless your a complete beginer and doing very light weights, your muscles take time to heal.
Obviously then you have to train your muscle healing rate.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 06:54:16 pm »

I have no idea what muscle healing rate means
If you mean how long it takes your mucles to heal, you cant decrease the time unless you're taking steroids. Your body can only rebuild itself so fast.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 06:57:18 pm »

Your body can only rebuild itself so fast.
Or can it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4