Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Silverwaters - The fortess in a lake  (Read 4317 times)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Silverwaters - The fortess in a lake
« on: November 12, 2009, 06:34:44 am »

Yes, this is a "look at my awesome fortress!" thread. I hope no one has anything against it. ;D

Lets start with the DFMA link

It's not finished yet, but It's a good way in, and I'm not planning on stopping soon! Anyway, the idea for the fortress was born out of my failures to make a fortress under an ocean (I tried twice, with different methods) so I decided to make an artificial lake instead.

This is the fortress I came up with, and after 34 years the fortress is shaping up to become really good. One of the main things I wanted was a living district where every apartment had a view out to the lake through glass walls, and for this purpose I constructed the housing district that is in place now. It has, of course gotten some modifications along the way, like the barracks and food storage that is in the middle.

Another thing that I wanted to do was a cavernous entrance hall where the road to the trade depot ran over an underwater lake, and that has been accomplished as well with the entrance I currently have. I'm still using the temporary housing that was built to house the dwarves while the aboveground fortress was being constructed, but it has been gradually phased out, with only some personal rooms left in use at the moment.

The next thing that I'm going to build is probably some more entrance defences, with a ballista pointed at the entrance bridge and a firing tower for marksdwarves. I'll probably include a couple of catapults as well, and a direct stairwell to the barracks.

So, Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Criticism? Fire away if you've got any!
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
Re: Silverwaters - The fortess in a lake
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 09:03:50 am »

Every time I see one of these fortresses I feel the need to do one my self, I just never get beyond the embark screen, I can never find a decent location.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 09:19:32 am »

I attempted one of these on an ocean once, made it a kind of offshore harbour with multiple tiered walls, all with ballista merlons and such. It didn't go far due to a lack of planning, and because the temporary accomodation somehow flooded when I tried to reclaim.

My next idea was to build something similar but with a floating city surrounding it, nobles and such living in the main building, but I haven't got round to that yet.

Still, this is aestheically appealing to say the least. I particularly like the underwater rooms.

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:22:35 am »

I love the entrance road over the dam and then into the center.  It does seem there's a lot of lake missing though. Are still working on the design, then you'll refill the riverbed?
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 12:10:11 pm »

I love the entrance road over the dam and then into the center.  It does seem there's a lot of lake missing though. Are still working on the design, then you'll refill the riverbed?

Exactly. The plan is to make another three levels of housing before it's complete.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 01:28:49 pm »

Frábær hönnun. Mér hefur alltaf langað til að raunverulega 'construct' byggingar úr grænu glasi, en þetta toppar allt sem ég hef gert.

Great design, idea, and implementation. May you always have the urge to build on it, instead of abandon half-finished as I've done so many times during my megaprojects.

If this is just half finished, I would love to see it complete. :D
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 03:06:19 pm »

I'm not actually Icelandic, I'm Swedish, I just took an Icelandic name because it sounded good, and let's face it; 'Silverdragon' is kind of bland  ;)

Now, let's have a go at translating this...
Frábær hönnun. Mér hefur alltaf langað til að raunverulega 'construct' byggingar úr grænu glasi, en þetta toppar allt sem ég hef gert.

??. ? has always longed to ?? 'construct' buildings from green glass but(?) this tops everything that I have heard(?)

I can't really figure out what Frábær, hönnun and raunverulega means without cheating with an online translator. With one I saw that I failed moderately hard, the sentence should be:

Great design. I have always wanted to construct buildings from green glass but this tops everything I've done

Þakka þér fyrir! (I hope I didn't mess that up too bad)  ;)

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 03:28:32 pm »

instead of abandon half-finished as I've done so many times during my megaprojects.

Imagine the datascape of the future, where digital archaeologists, scouring the uninhabited and long-abandoned corners of the supernet, uncover our creations (save folders) and hopefully the means to appreciate them in our context (a DF installation).

Yours, the unfinished constructions like great, ancient ruins, unlike anyone else's will leave the most questions unanswered.  Those geeks will profit so much from the absurd philosophizing they can spin from your half-finished megaprojects.

"This broken circle of walls must be an incomplete astral calender.  If we extrapolate these edges ... and calculate the positions of these intersecting lines in relation to the houses of worship of Lor the Stain of Cheese ... yes ... yes, the world will end in December 3012."

And that ... that is immortality.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 03:44:19 pm »

That explains stone henge at least

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 07:13:48 pm »

I'm not actually Icelandic, I'm Swedish, I just took an Icelandic name because it sounded good, and let's face it; 'Silverdragon' is kind of bland  ;)

Yes! Icelandic is awesome! XD But Dang, I had hoped to see more Icelanders around here. :P

Now, let's have a go at translating this...

Great design. I have always wanted to construct buildings from green glass but this tops everything I've done

Þakka þér fyrir! (I hope I didn't mess that up too bad)  ;)

That was pretty accurate there, much better than I would expect from others. And you didn't mess it up one bit.

And you got Frábær hönnun correctly, but Raunverulega means something between really and literally. Accepted translation is 'really'.

And MrFake... thanks for the laughs XD
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 09:48:55 pm »

That is a beautiful fortress. My first thought was "Jesus H. Christ!", then I explored around the rest of the z-levels of your fort, then Jesus H. Christ went to Holy S**t F**k Batman! This fortress just looks beautiful, not necessarily gigantic, but the layout is just so neat and not all clustered like all of my forts end up being.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 09:59:30 pm »

Gorgeous, stylish, and efficient. Love it. I could go on, but... it's nice.

Could you post some VF pics? It'd be great to see it in 3D.

*grammar edit
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 04:40:50 pm by Retro »

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 03:32:09 am »

Could you post some VF pics? I'd be great to see it in 3D.

Good idea, I'll take some pictures when I get home.

it_is_coming

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 03:49:25 am »

Imagine the datascape of the future, where digital archaeologists, scouring the uninhabited and long-abandoned corners of the supernet, uncover our creations (save folders) and hopefully the means to appreciate them in our context (a DF installation).

Going in sig, if you don't mind

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 04:59:24 am »

instead of abandon half-finished as I've done so many times during my megaprojects.

Yours, the unfinished constructions like great, ancient ruins, unlike anyone else's will leave the most questions unanswered.  Those geeks will profit so much from the absurd philosophizing they can spin from your half-finished megaprojects.

"This broken circle of walls must be an incomplete astral calender.  If we extrapolate these edges ... and calculate the positions of these intersecting lines in relation to the houses of worship of Lor the Stain of Cheese ... yes ... yes, the world will end in December 3012."

Alternatively, they will find that an ancient civilisation in your world decided only to calculate all the solar eclipses for the next 1500 years (instead of, presumably, forever) and that therefore the world will end in 2012.
Pages: [1] 2