Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New VN starting in general discussion?  (Read 4333 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New VN starting in general discussion?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 05:47:40 am »

I also think this should be locked. This will go nowhere good.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 06:44:23 am »

@OP: I have actually noticing this, and do occasionally worry about it. I'm not sure what to do abaut it thou, if I were Toady I'd try to shunt it over to the New VN, because you can't simply destroy something like this, at least not permanently, without seriously hurting a lot of people. But Toady has stated he does not want to be associated with such things, which is understandable, so I don't really know.
I know that if the New VN was more active, I'd probably became proportional more respectable over here.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 06:51:30 am »

Stop advertising, Armok.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 06:58:49 am »

He didn't actually advertise this time.

New VN isn't called New VN, and he didn't post the link.

Angellus

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 07:11:40 am »

New VN is actually a nickname for a forum which has several members that are manical, lately this has gone dead, after which I have noticed it getting more 'rough' here. I wondered how this and whether this was related.

I do not believe that any form of advertising was done by Armok, he merely stated that he though it would be more railed here if there was a place where people could be manical.
Personally I think such a (restricted) place would be appropriate, though not on these forums.

Again, I am merely looking if others are seeing the derails happen, and how they stand against it. As of now I see no reason in locking it as it is a (railed) discussion. If however I come back in a few hours and find this to have been derailed, I'll be sure to lock it.

@Aquizzar:
But how did it start? Was it just like now, a growing amount of derails and general crazyness slowly growing into mayhem? It is a bit short said to blame the whole problem just on 'Tack-likes'.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 07:22:50 am »

Again, I am merely looking if others are seeing the derails happen, and how they stand against it.

The logic of "standing against" such a change strikes me as flawed.
There is nothing on this forum that cannot be salvaged - if the community as a whole says "GD has gone to shit", then something can be done about it.
Until then, nothing needs to be done about it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 07:25:11 am »

I agree, but then again, I'm one of those "people like Tack".

Not quipping at you, Aqizzar, just admitting shortcomings.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 07:40:42 am »

I believe that it would be fine if thise became VN, but what you have to realize is that when I first joined VN was a place for nonsense and all was fine. The last months before it was locked, it had become a depository for pure spam and other horrors. THAT is the VN we don't want to see.

I have started uploading whole pages of lost VN content to the offsite VN, but have only about 2.5 out of 17.5 finished.

And those 2.5 were the scarmbled order ones from before the forum change, so you will find a good sampling of what it was like years ago, and why it wasn't locked back then.

You also find me discovering the meaning of "linker" and why you need to tell it to include some libraries for more complex tasks.

If this place is drifting towards VN, know that VN is a vast expanse with a single black hole of death in a distant corner. Then it was cut up into all of the Finally... sections, and VN was left a relatively small portion, so the furthest you could go was always very close to death. Those horrors always existed, but could not be supported originally, because everything else would dilute it to "safe" levels.

Eh?
Eh!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 08:32:23 am »

you better delete this topic before you give the wrong people the wrong ideas

what counts is not what happens, but the mindset about it
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 08:44:54 am »

As far as I'm concerned, that place is retconned from all history. It never happened.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 09:17:42 am »

@Op

No.

Really its nothing like it, any time we get a little rowdy it seems someone starts walking around doing the forum equivalent of ringing a bell and wearing a sandwhich board saying "The end is nigh" GD will never end up as VN, it can't Toady and Threetoe are moderating it and it has a purpose. To get VN you need that complete and utter lack of purpose which was also what made VN hard to moderate. Anything could be posted there and be relevant.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Angellus

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 01:20:19 pm »

@Op

No.

Really its nothing like it, any time we get a little rowdy it seems someone starts walking around doing the forum equivalent of ringing a bell and wearing a sandwhich board saying "The end is nigh" GD will never end up as VN, it can't Toady and Threetoe are moderating it and it has a purpose. To get VN you need that complete and utter lack of purpose which was also what made VN hard to moderate. Anything could be posted there and be relevant.
This was the sort of answer I was looking for, thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------

I still do not understand why this should be deleted, it is just a discussion about oldVN and how it came to its death and how this might possibly happen to other parts of the site.

Off course, if Toady is reading this and does not like this discussion, then please feel fully free to lock it.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 01:30:35 pm »

I'm so sick of meta threads, there's nothing more pretentious than viewing a group you belong to from the outside and discussing it.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 02:36:39 pm »

One, reduce derailing and chatting in threads, use IRC, Private Messages or equivalent instead.

Two, it's Various Nonsense, not VN! Yargh! (Sorry. This just bugs me)

Following these two steps should prevent the issue at hand. Also, they would decrease the alienation new members must feel reading these kind of threads. For example, posters here seem to assume everyone knows the deal with Various Nonsense (which could be explained in the OP). Also, a fresh opinion from a newish member might be valuable in discussions like this (if there's really a lot of derailing and/or idiotism flying around), but not having much idea what the thread is about, there's a large barrier to voice it.

So, now for the recap on Various Nonsense for new and not-that-old members:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:59:50 pm by LASD »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 03:56:45 pm »

New VN is actually a nickname for a forum which has several members that are manical, lately this has gone dead, after which I have noticed it getting more 'rough' here. I wondered how this and whether this was related.

I do not believe that any form of advertising was done by Armok, he merely stated that he though it would be more railed here if there was a place where people could be manical.
Personally I think such a (restricted) place would be appropriate, though not on these forums.

Again, I am merely looking if others are seeing the derails happen, and how they stand against it. As of now I see no reason in locking it as it is a (railed) discussion. If however I come back in a few hours and find this to have been derailed, I'll be sure to lock it.

@Aquizzar:
But how did it start? Was it just like now, a growing amount of derails and general crazyness slowly growing into mayhem? It is a bit short said to blame the whole problem just on 'Tack-likes'.
The very existence of such places is a scourge upon the earth, and they should be eradicated.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 [2] 3