Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Making the game harder.  (Read 5365 times)

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making the game harder.
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2006, 03:55:00 pm »

I'd like for trading to be a lot more stressful, although I don't know exactly how. As it is, you can set up huge, intricate 50-dwarf industries like clothing production, soaping, or animal processing (bones and leather) that have essentially no point aside from supplying some very slight upkeep on clothing decay and raising stats through skilled labor.

I wouldn't mind seeing fertilization become completely mandatory after the third or fourth year (such that you aren't just allowed to move the plot over to the next 7x7-1) and require an existence-threatening commitment to heavy trade.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making the game harder.
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2006, 09:31:00 pm »

Well this thread started getting ugly for a little while, but I'm glad it's back on track now, and I've been reading it with a lot of interest.

There are some great ideas here and I hope that one day they (or at least something similar) gets added, though I agree with what Capntastic said, that lots of other issues are going to take priority before Toady can get around to balancing the middle and late game. (The beginning game should be, and actually is fairly easy to get the hang of...I think most of the learning curve has more to do with the somewhat clumsy and complicated interface than with any real in-game threats to your dwarves.)

Once you get your fortress established, everything gets pretty tame. Gone are the days when I used to stress about nobles and migrants and micromanaging every little thing. In fact I'm running it in the background while I type this, just like it was when I left to eat dinner earlier, and I know nothing that isn't equally fixable is going to go wrong in the meantime.

I've pretty much gotten to the point where I follow the exact same strategy every time, and there's never anything there to really shake things up or force me to adapt on the go. Hitting a cluster of gems or a vein of ore when I'm carving out my perfect dining room is more distressing to me than most invasions.

The demons used to terrify me, and for the longest time I was afraid to cross the lava, but now I've got killing them down to step by step process, and even that challenge is gone.

I hate to say it, but I'm getting a little burned out on the game in its current form. My last couple of fortresses were abandoned out of boredom, and most of the entertainment I'm getting out of it these days comes from deliberately crippling myself and just generally making up the weirdest variants I can think of.

Sure, fending off an invasion can be fun, killing demons can be fun, but I just wish that one success didn't mean you were always going to succeed from then on out as long as you kept doing what you were doing.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]