Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Boatmurdered comic strips - writers needed.  (Read 24058 times)

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boatmurdered comic strips - writers needed.
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2009, 02:13:22 am »

Protip:

If you speak poor english, do the comic in your native language and have someone else translate it.

No. non-native english makes everything even more funny to everone, including native speakers.

Don't make me post "Polandball" here.

Keep in mind, Dwarves don't speak english, so a translation of launguages to english and mis translations of such, only make things more FUN.

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
  • You know what? Tic tock motherf**** --> SG philo
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2009, 02:47:28 am »

The problem is, if he do the comic in his native language, someone would need to translate. But sometime joke are hard translating. And to translate adequately, you need to translate toward your native language, people who think something else misunderstand what is translating.

Exemple: I'm French, i understand English, so I could translate an English text in French, but not the other way, is more hard.

So if you are not a native speaker of his native language, you'll miss some joke, word play, etc. So he his best to try get all work done in English if he intend to do the comic in English. In final, if he do the work in English and get help from English speaker, the comic would probably be 10 time funnier (for English) than if he have done it the other way. 
If you have to choose between war and dishonour, don't choose dishonour because you'll have war.

Quote from: Oglokoog
sir labreck, how you manage to mangle English so much yet still manage to keep your posts comprehensible is beyond me. Well done.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2009, 03:01:52 am »

The problem is, if he do the comic in his native language, someone would need to translate. But sometime joke are hard translating. And to translate adequately, you need to translate toward your native language, people who think something else misunderstand what is translating.

Exemple: I'm French, i understand English, so I could translate an English text in French, but not the other way, is more hard.

So if you are not a native speaker of his native language, you'll miss some joke, word play, etc. So he his best to try get all work done in English if he intend to do the comic in English. In final, if he do the work in English and get help from English speaker, the comic would probably be 10 time funnier (for English) than if he have done it the other way. 

No, his funny english translations are perfect and he should not change a thing.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2009, 03:36:36 am »

Protip:

If you speak poor english, do the comic in your native language and have someone else translate it.

No. non-native english makes everything even more funny to everone, including native speakers.

Don't make me post "Polandball" here.

Keep in mind, Dwarves don't speak english, so a translation of launguages to english and mis translations of such, only make things more FUN.

Polandball is so weird.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2009, 03:57:30 am »

Boatmurdered was entertaining but it was mostly just one or two of the contributers that were excellent writers who made the story good.

*coughSankiscough*

Anyhow, I like it so far =) I can't help at all, but look forward to reading more.
Him and StarkRavingMad but most especially, 'Major Failure' in his first segment.

The Major used the background and made the story awesome and in-depth rather then treating it as s video-gam obstacle to be overcome.

ahrbee

• Bay Watcher
  • striking some earth
    • View Profile
    • Strike The Earth
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2009, 08:24:15 am »

Uh oh, I feel a strange feeling.

At first I notice that your "awesome" 5 rating moved to an average of 3. So I thought that someone placed "1" for some reason and went to check the stats...
Total Page Views:      3,868 views
Total Unique Visitors:    724 visitors
It's in 3 days.

Take it from me, former smackjeeves administrator, ratings are not important.

Lowballing happens on smackjeeves. That's why I took the ratings off of Strike The Earth completely. Also, ratings are only good on that website if you're competing with people on the Hot page. Dwarf Fortress is such a niche audience that there's no way you'll ever get on there, so there's no point worrying about it.

Also, SJ is terrible for traffic. All of those pageviews were likely from this forum. The same thing happened to STE, and since I have Google analytics installed, it was really easy to see where they were coming from.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2009, 09:10:43 am »

However, unlike Rhesus Macaques, Mandrills can be trained if they are captured. They make for competent war animals.

Pretty sure this isn't true - in vanilla Dwarf Fortress, only dogs can be trained into war animals, and I don't think Boatmurdered was using any mods. They can still be tamed, though.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2009, 11:03:51 am »

Yes, they can't be trained.

Also I am OK with a rating and stuff, because I am quite confident that I draw fast so my style isn't good enough for many comic-nerds, but I was a bit amazed how mane people saw it. It makes me feel more... responsible.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 11:07:10 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2009, 01:15:30 pm »

Levers
The first recorded mention of them is in the famed Book of Armok (the original consisting of 647 stone tablets).  In the book it was said that Armok plucked two hairs from his beard and created the first two dwarves Urist and Urist.  To the dwarves he said "Lo and behold you may drink this sacred ale and be merry, you may feast upon this cheese and fill your stomachs! You are blessed in all endeavors by my divine will but you must never pull this lever". And then Armok granted the dwarves insatiable curiosity.
In a span of a few seconds both dwarves ran over and pulled the lever in unison.  For a couple seconds they were puzzled as nothing had happened SUDDENLY screams could be heard echoing throughout the vast underground cavern as two dwarves hurtled through the air only to impact the ceiling mere seconds later.  Armok shrugged, let out a hearty laugh, and collected their blood in his adamantine chalice.

This is the story told to all children, be wary of the lever! This seemingly innocuous device has claimed more lives than any sword or spear.  Any proper dwarven fortress makes use of a dozen levers at least.  Their uses are plenty; be it raising drawbridges, irrigation, execution, defense, or bathing. They are also notorious for having claimed as many dwarven lives as those of other species.  Some levers may be hooked up via dwarven ingenuity (SCIENCE!) to pressurized water, magma, or supports holding up essential structures.  Others may be responsible for releasing dozens of cages goblins or worse.  In this humble historian's opinion one should never underestimate the lever (and definitely keep them away from any babbling lunatics)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2009, 02:20:32 pm »

This is... great. I mean, lots of text and doesn't require a lot of drawings :). I'm putting it in my next update too :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2009, 04:27:59 pm »

Brilliant, man. I love this. The quirks and all, your comic is a joyous look at DF's history.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2009, 06:35:29 pm »

I've started work on the elephant inlet (oh, dibs on the elephant, by the way)

I've got the preliminary sketch, I just need to colour it and do the writeup.

EDIT: After consulting google images, I have found that my elephant skull looks nothing like what it's supposed to be.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 07:14:28 pm by Fault »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2009, 08:36:27 am »

Man, that elephant is scary, disturbing and by all means awesome! Also, if you want, you may pass the colouring to me, I am OK with that (but if you want to do it by yourself, even better). The elephant's skull is awesome too, because anatomy drawings fit greatly to "encyclopedia" articles.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2009, 11:58:08 am »

The merchants... And the finest goods. That's why you want to build a trading depot in time.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2009, 04:25:05 pm »

I'm about half-done colouring it, Deon.

As for the skull used as an anatomy drawing, well it's just not anatomically correct.
Elephant skulls look like this:
http://adamant.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/03/30/45045639.jpg
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8