Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Liberal Crime Fortress - ALPHA 1!  (Read 2085 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Liberal Crime Fortress - ALPHA 1!
« on: November 11, 2009, 12:00:32 pm »

I did a quick search but I didn't see anything that looked applicable. So here goes:

You, leader of the Liberal Crime Squad (Fortress Edition) have set out with six other, somewhat less equal liberals. Your goal shall be nothing less than the construction of the ultimate liberal stronghold.

It won't be easy, though! You will not only face the dangers of the wilds, but also attacks from conservative militias (goblins), the Conservative Crime Squad (Kobolds), and even the Police (Dwarves, since, being liberal, one would naturally assume that one is playing as "Elves")

Train your immigrant hippies (peasants) into farmers, artists, machine gunners (crossbowliberals), trapmakers (mechanics), Lawyers (soapmakers, as while they are essential, they are also despised), and more!

Of course, Liberals are sensitive beings, and require comfortable living arrangements, or you might even see a Conservative Uprising (tantrum spiral)!

Yes, some fluffy bunnies will have to die to make practice bullets, but perhaps that is the price of Liberal Advancement.

DOWNLOAD:
ALPHA 1: HERE
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:57:05 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Liberal Crime Fortress
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 12:05:38 pm »

Epic.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 01:32:26 pm »

Conservatives will be given a body part called a "wallet"

The Liberal Computerliberal hacks the Conservative SWAT team member in the wallet!
It flies off in a bloody arc!

Ok, maybe not.

The [lava] tag will be given to "concrete" so the Conservative Dark Towers will be made of it, and you can cast things out of it, too.

We'll probably steal a little bit from the old Zombie mod.

I for one think that a good character set would sell this; I can just picture teams of tie-died hippies coming in the next immigrant wave.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 02:07:49 pm »

This must be done, include LCS style adamantine shirts, dwarven hammers, etc. Also Guy Fawkes masks. 
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 02:15:48 pm »

The job description I got for "bake brownies" said that one bakes "adult brownies that open up magical shimmering portals to the adamantine pits"

We'll thus have to make Brownie Demons.
Which can be tamed.

I do kinda like the idea of this being a crossover...

So you'd have police and Conservative crime squad civs, AND Dwarves and kobolds and goblins.

Liberal Dwarves with mushroom farms...
Hammerliberals and engravings of an elf raising an artifact AK-47.

Bwahahaha.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 12:31:57 pm »

After putting some more thought into this and playing more of LCS, I've come up with some more ideas:

- Going to be a complete conversion, removing others.

- Plant: Hemp: Can be used to make fibers, or milled. Liberals will be able to make all sorts of food with "hemp powder".

-Guns will be in.

-Probably going to make crafting more difficult- stuff like making guns take ten or more bars or metal and so on- so that most resources come from trade.

-Try to make migrants care less about deaths in your fortress, and/or make liberals more fruitful, to make sure there's always lots of cannon fodder.

-Making "Guitar" weapon that is ranged, fires chords, and uses some social skills.

-Maybe some other social weapons as well.
 "The Liberal Convinces the Conservative in the head with his -Oak Binder-! It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!"

-Tying into trade, toys will be expanded to include a few LCS-type crafts such as paintings and so on.

Note that for a great deal of these notes, the next version will allow some more flexibility. For instance, a workshop called a CPU that a uses "Negotiation" to create an item called a "+paper newspaper article+".

FIND AND REPLACE:
liberal crime is a branch of science and technology that deals with the controlled flow of crime. The ability to control crime flow is usually applied to information handling or device control. liberal crime is distinct from liberal science and technology, which deals with the generation, distribution, control and application of liberal power. This distinction started around 1906 with the invention by Lee De Forest of the liberal, which made crime amplification possible with a non-mechanical device. Until 1950 this field was called "radio liberality" because its principal application was the design and theory of radio transmitters, receivers and vacuum tubes.

Most liberal crime squads today use liberal components to perform crime control. The study of liberal devices and related technology is considered a branch of physics, whereas the design and construction of electronic circuits to solve practical problems come under liberal crime engineering. This article focuses on engineering aspects of liberal crime.

EDIT:
I have made a pure english form of the DF text library. Apparently there's only 108 words.

I'm thinking of adding a new sphere called "names" and adding a few dozen root names like in LCS so that we don't get regular people named Dagger Aleinks.

Maybe add some placenames stuff like "Burg" or "ton" or "new"

I also have some crude raws for the three civs. I've just used Dwarves/Humans/Goblins renamed and given new creatures. New spheres come later.

Now, the conservatives have pretty much everything PUNISH_CAPITAL except for slavery, torture, and trophymaking. Liberals have a lot of things as ACCEPTABLE except for those things. One of the few places they agree is that it's ACCEPTABLE to kill enemies.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 03:08:22 pm by PTTG?? »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 05:16:26 pm »

My prototype rocked pretty hard. I set up the three "civs" so that they'd all build dark towers, which I figure resemble modern buildings to a degree. I then moved my seven hippies into a neutral site and started putting in furniture.

I looked at the personalities. With all the adjustments I added, each Liberal has a pretty complex personality, with lots of notes like "is entranced by the beauty of the natural world" or whatever it is.

Names definitely need to be fixed- there's a lot of Liberals named things like Galley Ring_objecthammer. Definitely going to go with a new "names" sphere, and a "townnames" sphere.
Only problem might be getting Earl Samalice the Bob of Bernie, the god of names. Or a place named New Bergvill (or even worse, Berg Villnew)

After the test play, I definitely want to make trade convoys come more often, and make trade essential. For instance, some essential tools might be made in a reaction that requires diamonds or something else so that civs can make them but not the player.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 09:14:51 am »

After the test play, I definitely want to make trade convoys come more often, and make trade essential. For instance, some essential tools might be made in a reaction that requires diamonds or something else so that civs can make them but not the player.

You could just make them into Weapons or Toys and put them in another civilization's entry. They should still work in reactions.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 04:04:52 pm »

Oh wows I would be HOUNERD to sprite for this!

I'm not amazingly good but I used to sprite for some other games (mostly CS2D and Battleships Forever)

Have you managed to get permission for the zombie mod sprites? I can use them as a base. Failing that I can ask mayday.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 04:22:30 pm »

I haven't heard back from the Zombie Mod folks yet- I definitely hope they let us use their resources. That will save us a lot of re-inventing the wheel when it comes to the modern stuff.

I'd love to have a graphic set to go with this. Also, there's quite a lot of the creature raws I'm still lost in. Mostly it's fine to use the human raws from DF, but I'm not sure how to make peasants become hippies and crossbowmen become gunmen. I'm pretty sure that even our legendary, guitar-toting, Pacifiers will still be Champion Recruits, too.

Also, we need a new set of plants. I might mess with the ones I have in my old plant mod. At the moment, my liberals can't embark with any seeds at all.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Liberal Crime Fortress - ALPHA
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 10:56:22 pm »

Got an alpha version here. Still loaded with bugs, but I fixed the impoverished word selector. Still can't get any plants working.

Please let me know if you come up with any fixes or additions.

Get it here!

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
Re: Liberal Crime Fortress - ALPHA 1!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 04:27:27 am »

downloading...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 03:40:41 pm »

After further thought, I've decided it'll probably be best to build this mostly in the next version of DF, rather than build it in the current version and then rebuild it in the upgrade.

This version is planning and theory.

One thing I rather like about this is that a number of future features can be anticipated into the design. For instance, you will be able to define uniforms for you Liberals- say, Black Robes and Guy Faulks masks, or Gators, Sweat Pants, tie-dye shirts, and berets.

For the time being, I'll continue working with this version, but I'll be taking notes for later implementation.

EDIT:
More practical than costumes, the ability to mod new workshops with new reactions will also provide some interesting new things. For instance, we will be able to have a "Computer" workshop where Liberals can use "Negotiator" skill to write "Articles" that can be sold as trade goods to caravans, and thus will spread rightness of thought to everyone!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:18:15 pm by PTTG?? »

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 06:30:57 am »

Yays. Also working on sprites, surprisingly hard to do good long hair.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 01:14:28 am »

Sounds fantastic. Let me know what you've got.

Just off the cuff, here, but we'll need...

-Hippies
-Programmers
-College Students
-Rednecks
-Hillbillies (scrawnier, crazier rednecks)
-Suits
-Musicians
-Riflemen
-Gang Members
-Sweatshop workers
-Judges
-LARPers (any fighter using an old-school weapon)
-Teenagers

Wow, I just realized that LCF will actually go one step crazier than CLS: you'll be able to literally kill babies. Isn't that just lovely?
Pages: [1] 2