Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions about df...  (Read 1569 times)

paulrpg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few questions about df...
« on: November 10, 2009, 07:35:50 pm »

Hey, I've been playing df on and off for over a year now and I've been wanting to build together a mega project but before I get too excited I would like to ask a questions to see how feasable it is.

Firstly, if I create an artifical bridge between the main land and an island and create a fortress on the island, will I get a trader coming to me? I recall someone had built a bridge like this - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=38051.0 - but I do not know if it will work as desired.

Also, if I dump items into a channel and then pump water along, will the items be shifted? If so what kind of items would move? Are there any weight restrictions?

I know pumping magma / water can cause problems when working on a long pipe, how many pumps would be required to pump magma along a -long- pipe?

In adventure mode, are you able to move items, for example raw adamantite from A -> B?

I was talking to a friend at uni the other day, and he mentioned that in the upcoming release you are able to set the z levels you want to play at? Is this true?

For DFMA, are you able to combine the df pictures of multiple fortresses and send them to the website?

How long does the lignite fire bug last?

Feel free to tell me to try it all myself, but with uni work mounting up I would like to find out what I can before planning out tests.
Thanks,
Paul.

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions about df...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 07:54:09 pm »

From the Wiki, not sure if it is right because I don't work with water much.

Pumped water or water directly from river (water directly connected to river or brook that doesn't drain fast enough) will NOT push items since the water doesn't "flow" but is instead created on the tile.

For moving liquids down a large tunnel it is best to use pumps from the source to the destination.

As for choosing the number of Z levels, I believe it is true.

I believe lignite burns for about 3 years, I don't remember exactly how long.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

paulrpg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 07:55:59 pm »

Thanks for clearing up some of the points! Kind of sad that water doesn't push objects though, I thought it did.

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 08:27:02 pm »

You can use the river directly to push stuff around.  Just build over it and use it as you please.  However, be careful that your dwarves don't fall in.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 08:51:59 pm »

Water DOES push objects, but pressurized water doesn't.

This would not push the item (Displayed as a star)

Code: [Select]
#
#
#####*

This would

Code: [Select]
######*

HOWEVER, in the second case, yes, it would push it, but the only problem is the water has to be a certain height in order to push an item.

Anyway, good luck!

EDIT:

Here you go:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-366-waterpressuretest

Water pressure doesn't push objects, as you can see.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 09:01:52 pm »

Thats DF logic for you, as for moving items in adventure mode, yes you can but I don't know whether they would stay in the area or not.  You can pull switches in adventure mode so you can come up with some pretty cool things with it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:03:59 pm by Cody1750 »

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 01:32:26 am »

Firstly, if I create an artifical bridge between the main land and an island and create a fortress on the island, will I get a trader coming to me? I recall someone had built a bridge like this - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=38051.0 - but I do not know if it will work as desired.

I'm not 100% sure if this will work, but I think it will. If it does indeed work (which I'm not 100% sure it will, but mostly sure), but you don't get trade right away, it might be because the civs don't register it yet. I will try to gen a world and make a quick bridge to see if it does.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

paulrpg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 05:49:10 am »

Thank you for your replies, I will try doing a few things when I can I will be interested to see how the test works about pushing objects about with water, I want to use the water to move objects between fortresses in adventure mode, ie mine adamantite, ship move it to another fortress and build a fortress from it.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:19:25 pm by Firnagzen »
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

paulrpg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 07:31:08 am »

I used an adventurer to pull levers when I was testing with this crazy idea: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24413.0

It worked suprisingly well, I want to build on this, granted I tested with water, but i believe I could make a working intercontinental magmaduct to make something cool including a land bridge, which is why I asked about it, using water to push items along in adventure mode which is also why I asked about it and to do lots of interesting dwarvenly things.