Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Jakkarra's Tutorial  (Read 1227 times)

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
Jakkarra's Tutorial
« on: November 10, 2009, 06:30:40 pm »

OK, I know i've said i'd do this before, but the soon-to-arrive PC has kicked me into action.

When the new version of DF comes out, i shall create a set of tutorials detailing the entire game (as much as physically possible, anyway). Beginning with the basics, moving onto more advanced concepts and generally showing people the ropes.

I wanted to ask, does anyone think me doing this would be a good idea?

(If you don't know who i am, meh.)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Jakkarra's Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 06:35:35 pm »

Sounds great. I'm sure the new version will cause quite a few people to mention Dwarf Fortress elsewhere, resulting in many new players.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 06:38:20 pm »

Indeed! Nessesitating the need for some new Tutorials, Cap'nducks are awesome, but they will be out of date :P

Oh, and ASCII, Or tileset?

(Also, Hi Unintelligent, not seen you in a while.)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 06:48:44 pm »

Oh, and ASCII, Or tileset?

ASCII, just because that's the way the game comes when you download it, you won't have to cover another step about adding tilesets, and people won't think they need your graphics to follow along.  Less confusing that way.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 06:55:52 pm »

Righty-Ho gentlemen.

Anything else i need to take into condiseration?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 07:22:22 pm »

Stop leeching your avatar picture.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 07:35:52 pm »

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I've been throwing around the idea of designing a beginners guide to Dwarf Fortress with nice artwork and flavor text for awhile, though I figure I'll wait out a couple more major updates before I get started since so much is changing right now.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 08:09:18 pm »

I'm assuming that you will be showing adventure mode, too?  That would be unique, as it's hard to find a solid adventure mode tutorial.  It might make a good introduction to start out with adventure mode, so folks can see just how certain aspects of fort mode play out on the individual scale (though it might be less of a disconnect in the new version).  Also, when it comes to fort mode, introduce strategies for forts in a variety of biomes.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 08:14:50 pm »

I'm assuming that you will be showing adventure mode, too?  That would be unique, as it's hard to find a solid adventure mode tutorial.  It might make a good introduction to start out with adventure mode, so folks can see just how certain aspects of fort mode play out on the individual scale (though it might be less of a disconnect in the new version).  Also, when it comes to fort mode, introduce strategies for forts in a variety of biomes.

Are there even any adventure mode tutorials out there?  I'd like to give it a crack.  I ran around a little while ago and managed to kill a kid using the help files, but that's it.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 08:29:40 pm »

It's a pretty huge undertaking.  One of the things that made my early DF life tolerable was TinyPirate's tutorial including a link to Dwarf Manager.  Ideally, I recommend you wait until some of the more ubiquitous third-party utilities are updated, so you can include Dwarf Therapist or whatever in the instructions.  I think we all use some kind of interface-boosting tools, and I for one can't imagine trying to get through the game with nothing but the vanilla interface.

Also, the Mayday tileset was incredibly helpful for me.  I use ASCII lately, but starting with the little pictures accelerated my education considerably.

Will your lessons include modifying the .init files?  Learning to adjust population caps and put the FPS meter on the screen can be every bit as important as building wells and designating offices.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 08:48:35 pm »

Isn't there already many tutorials, including video guides etc. ?

Except for adventurer mode, which is totally undocumented, except for the basics.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 10:04:46 pm »

I would recommend using a tileset. Just install it yourself and upload it to a public website like Megaupload or DFFD. Personally, I think graphics packs are much easier to get into than ASCII, the lack of graphics is a major turn off for a lot of players.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 10:08:39 pm »

It adds an extra hurdle though, and isn't core to the DF experience.

zzzdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 01:32:43 am »

Making a video tutorial of every feature in dwarf fortress.
It would take long, and you should constrict each video to the original tileset. That way, anyone can pop into any particular video when they need help, and not have to install some random tileset.
I would also not do the video tutorials in a PART ONE, PART TWO, PART THREE, ETC. style with chronology being a significant role in the learning. I would rather make a video seperately for each and every feature (or sets of related features).
You know, now I feel like doing this. Maybe I will.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 02:27:19 am »

Oklidolki.

Hmmm, where should i host it?

My youtube account has been cracked (go have a look) so i may not be able to use youtube.

Oh, and i'll try adventure mode, also i'll be showing Inits and stuff.
Pages: [1] 2