Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Above ground Wood only Castle, any tips?  (Read 2040 times)

Angellus

Above ground Wood only Castle, any tips?
« on: November 10, 2009, 04:35:26 pm »

Hey,

I've just started on my first above ground Castle/Fortress and was wondering if any of you have any tips for a beginner at this. I've played many games underground, but above ground is fully new to me.

The end plan is to construct a magma driven glass industry, though I'm still yet to find sand (Hoping to find this below my first layer of soil, also my spot to farm on :))

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Above ground Wood only Castle, any tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 04:36:56 pm »

Did you examine all of the biomes in your embark region and check them for Sand layers?

If you did and there weren't any, then glass is out of the question for your fortress unless you modify the raws to turn some other soil type into sand.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 04:37:41 pm »

Magma moat.  Trust me, it'll be tons of Fun.

Other than that?  Lots of windows.  Windows are always impressive.  Try to make a stain glass window out of gem windows on multiple Z levels.

Angellus

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 04:44:49 pm »

Did you examine all of the biomes in your embark region and check them for Sand layers?

If you did and there weren't any, then glass is out of the question for your fortress unless you modify the raws to turn some other soil type into sand.
Might try this out, does not seem like I did enough research :)

Magma moat.  Trust me, it'll be tons of Fun.

Other than that?  Lots of windows.  Windows are always impressive.  Try to make a stain glass window out of gem windows on multiple Z levels.
I like the stain glass idea, thanks for that!

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 05:06:42 pm »

Bring hunters to clear out your map

prepare for nobles to be dissatisfied (killing time methinks)

And be prepared to build wood warehouse's to use up the wood in your stockpile to store more wood!

i need to go back and play my wooden fort save, its awesome
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 05:10:21 pm »

Why would nobles be disappointed? sure, engravings are not possible, but a big room with block walls and floors, with many statues in it, is enough to please most nobles.

You will need precious metals for king however.

Angellus

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 05:12:58 pm »

Hmmm, I am considering a shelter somewhere though.
Should everything get overrun, the dwarves will be capable to run off to shelter in an orc invasion :)

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 05:15:24 pm »

Should everything get overrun, the dwarves will be capable to run off to shelter in an orc invasion :)
You might want to take tips from my Vault 10 project.  The thread is lower down on the page.  I'd love to see other people's takes on the concept.

Angellus

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 05:38:12 pm »

You might want to take tips from my Vault 10 project.  The thread is lower down on the page.  I'd love to see other people's takes on the concept.
I'll take a look at it next time I'm on the forums, right now I'm going to shutdown and get to bed, it is way past bedtime for me :)