Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Delving into the Python, Formerly: opinions on programming languages for a game  (Read 3262 times)

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile

Now, this is more about me asking random programming related questions and people debating semantics on different languages.

Spoiler: The old topic (click to show/hide)

Here are some of my ideas, if anyone would like to see them or steal them:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:02:34 pm by Bricks »
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need opinons on programming languages for a game
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 04:50:43 pm »

Find something which draws the screen for you, in decent Ascii graphics.

Go with that.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 05:01:19 pm »

I say python, with a good margin. The only real downside of python is prestanda, and the occasional annoyance due to dependency in guess, but neither of those sound like a big issue here!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 05:26:21 pm »

If you intend to make a career from it, learing a low-level language like C or C++ will probably help, but as it is, it sounds like almost anything decently flexable would work fine.
Eh?
Eh!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 05:41:53 pm »

Python it is, then.  Thanks folks.  Armok, I'm glad you indicated that whatever you mentioned didn't matter, because it sounded like gibberish. :P

Now I just need to figure out why my Mac's python is so fussy.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 12:40:09 am »

Don't use python.
Use brainfuck.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 10:55:34 am »

Ok, ignore eion and go find the "rougelike development thread"

Pick one of those libraries with a method of "einy-meany-miny-moe"

And you're all set for whatever language that library was made for.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 11:00:45 am »

If you didn't already mention you knew Python I'd recommend C++, as it is though your probably better off with Python and it's (many many) game dev libraries than learning C++.

Basically it depends how good your Python is :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 01:23:18 pm »

It's not so much that I'm more familiar with Python - I've only played around with it because my physics course did some simulations with VPython.  I just do better with more straightforward languages, and I'm not looking to create some super-efficient, professional game.  Also, I've found a roguelike library for Python which I'm either going to use or deconstruct.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 02:14:53 pm »

I use c++ with pdcurses.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 03:19:30 pm »

Ultimately, and despite what they try and tell you, there is no 'best language' for any particular task, it all depends on what you're comfortable with.

That being said: With Python, the need for python to be installed in the users computer will drive away some users. Java or the .NET languages don't suffer from this because programs written in them are common enough for users to have them pre-installed or for them to find their way onto PCs pretty quickly. On the other hand, users have to go out of the way for their first ever Python program and probably won't ever have more than one or two on the computer ever. It's a bit of a viscous cycle really...still, if you don't mind that more power to you ^^ Word of advice: "import skynet" is a bad idea :D

Ironically, outside of things coded in programming circles for programmings sake, I think I've only seen one or two Python programs.

BASIC...a part of me revolts against rather quickly, I think Dijkstra summed it up quite well: The teaching of BASIC should be rated as a criminal offence, it mutilates the mind beyond recovery.

Still, if it works for you ;)

Personally I use C++ a lot of the time, some C# or Java occasionally though I'm not too fond of them. Java to me feels like it's completely forgotten what it was about and become lost in trying to do everything generically. Also some things it just seems to go out of it's way to make difficult for you, like lists.

C# is pretty decent, though for larger projects I prefer C++, and C# has the inherent "teh M$ is teh devil" issues if you care for such things -_- The main problem with C# for me is to do large graphics it typically means falling back to the deprecated managed DirectX, or the more modern and...interesting XNA, both of which have like 0% portability, or to use a 3rd party library...also OpenGL in C# just feels weird to me :S Not bad, just weird...

When I use C++ I do so with the experimental C++0x features GCC 4.x.y provide. The variadic templates it provides are a force of pure joy for me as they made simulating a delegate system similar to C#'s both easy and efficient ^^ I also have a few wrappers around multi-threading, garbage collection, the console window and so-forth which I tend to use as part of a custom personal library =P

In this day and age, efficiency is a silly argument. Whilst a very well written C++ program will only be marginally faster than a very well written C# program, a poorly written C++ program will be immensely slower than a decently written C# program. Assuming you're using a decent language (and not something silly like QuickBASIC), it's quite rare for the language itself, not just how you've written the program, to be the limiting factor on your programs speed.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 03:56:11 pm by TheDarkJay »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 03:33:10 pm »

Its been a long time since I did any c++, but it is a very powerful and efficient language.

I mostly use java and c# for professional and personal projects. They are a bit safer and easier than c++ and the compromise in performance isn't that bad.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 04:40:28 pm »

Ultimately, and despite what they try and tell you, there is no 'best language' for any particular task, it all depends on what you're comfortable with.

That being said: With Python, the need for python to be installed in the users computer will drive away some users. Java or the .NET languages don't suffer from this because programs written in them are common enough for users to have them pre-installed or for them to find their way onto PCs pretty quickly. On the other hand, users have to go out of the way for their first ever Python program and probably won't ever have more than one or two on the computer ever. It's a bit of a viscous cycle really...still, if you don't mind that more power to you ^^ Word of advice: "import skynet" is a bad idea :D

"Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
    import skynet
ImportError: No module named skynet" :'(

Also, that anoyance issue was what i meant by dependency. I could have worded it more clearly i guess.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 06:06:20 pm »

That being said: With Python, the need for python to be installed in the users computer will drive away some users.

Installing Python on the target computer is only necessary if the developer is lazy. If you're using CPython, then you can use py2exe or py2app. If you're using IronPython, then you can compile that straight to an .exe. And with Jython, that compiles back to a .jar or .class or whatever it is that Java uses. Hell, these days I've seen Python compile to Javascript. And most of these methods will take care of including and packaging the various libraries you call into the directories they need to be in anyway, so that's another issue gone.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 07:24:21 pm »

Honestly, whatever language you use, if you are using it for anything more complicated than multiplying constants with no output, you will probably need to write a few functions first to make complex tasks easy.

Great examples:
Loading images
Getting input
Drawing output
Common logic

Then, once you have those done, the code will be much more similar across any possible language.

It doesn't matter what language you use, once you have enough "low level" functions, all that is left is the raw equasions, and math is usually independant of languages. Pick the language you want, and is probably works, so write the basic underlying essentials, and if you do it right, everything will be very easy.
Eh?
Eh!
Pages: [1] 2 3