Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Type of Moods  (Read 3752 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Type of Moods
« on: November 10, 2009, 02:25:47 pm »

So, I've had 3 different Strange Moods so far, and they have ALL BEEN POSSESSED. Which means no XP boost. So, is it totally random which mood you get, (besides the depression ones) or do I need to do something to get a Fey Mood.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Type of Moods
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 02:39:43 pm »

I'm fairly sure that the only moods that aren't chosen entirely randomly are Fell and Macabre.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 02:46:55 pm »

Commonly accepted paradigm is that it's random, but, in fact, we just aren't 100% sure.

It's possible there are weighting factors in personality or elsewhere that aren't recognized yet.  But it's believed that it's random, and is certainly at least mostly so.

If you have, say, a 10% chance (blind guess) for a Possession, then 1/100 fortresses will start with 2 in a row, and 1/1000 will start with 3.  I think it's safe to say that there are more than 1000 games played every couple months, so it's bound to happen (and I'd bet it's a better then 10% chance).

You win lose have fun!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 02:54:16 pm »

Alright, thanks!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 04:13:35 pm »

Assuming it's even odds for each "happy" mood (Fey, Secretive, and Possession), every 1 in 27 forts you have will start off with a triple possession.

In related news, my possessed glassworker made a green glass vial decorated with granite. Whoopie.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 04:25:13 pm »

This is utterly anecdotal, but I've begun to suspect that ecstatic dwarves are more likely to have fey moods and content ones will tend to be possessed, with happy ones falling at some indeterminate point in between.
I'd love to see some solid research to confirm or debunk this.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 04:52:04 pm »

Interesting theory.

Well, moods do re-set contentment to 100 after it's over, so that's one relation.  No reason there can't be others.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 04:57:50 pm »

I'm going to go ahead and refute that. My terminally-ecstatic dwarves get possessions just as often as the other mood types.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 05:47:28 pm »

I was also going to say if you give dwarves no thought they are auto set to content and I've seen fey moods with that just as often as possessions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 05:58:14 pm »

Its almost like flipping a coin, sometimes you'll get a streak of possessions and then some fey/secretive moods. Sometimes you'll get a good streak of fey/secretive moods and then a possession hits a dwarf that you really want a fey/secretive mood on.

While there are things that will increase the frequency of moods, its still a shot in the dark since even if you do have dwarves with skills that have a higher chance, it will still hit a no-skill hauler, sometimes often if you have alot of haulers.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 07:20:58 pm »

Increase the frequency of moods? Other than processing the current one asap, what?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 08:43:29 pm »

The only thing I'm aware of that could qualify as "increasing the frequency" is simply making certain that you qualify for the next mood ASAP. But that counts more as "not delaying" the next mood, really. I'm curious if SMJJames has any actual techniques that aren't just superstition.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 08:52:46 pm »

I'm going to go ahead and refute that. My terminally-ecstatic dwarves get possessions just as often as the other mood types.

I must second this. My dwarves are all permanently ecstatic, and moods seem to come in a 50-50 ratio for possessions / fey moods.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 09:28:42 pm »

50/50?

If you include secretive in with fey (both work the same if you're on top of it), I get maybe 1/6 possessions. They're the exception, by far.  :-\

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 09:42:12 pm »

Excuse the thread necromancy, but my questions are on topic, so I guess asking them here makes sense. I'll be starting my first fort in almost half a year tomorrow, and I need you to refresh my memory:

1. For once, I want to see some fell or macabre moods. Those are only supposed to be possible for unhappy dwarfs, so I need advice on how to... safely and reliably make my dwarfs unhappy. I mean, I don't want to starve them, or perhaps decimate them to have the survivors go fell. Of course, if you knew how to mod this - assuming it was even possible - to make fell and macabre moods trigger the same way as the others, then that would be moot. But I'm assuming this isn't possible.

2. Is it possible to mod the requirements for moods in general, as in how large a pop and fort is required for you to be eligible? I'm gonna be trying to make a fort that's reasonably small, both in manpower and space, but I'm afraid that would make my moods few and far between.
Pages: [1] 2