Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Emmigration  (Read 829 times)

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Emmigration
« on: September 27, 2007, 11:45:00 am »

Right now it's assumed that dwarves who come to your fortress will stay there for the duration of their natural lives. When you think about it, that's kind of harsh. What is this, a penal colony?

It seems reasonable to me that under certain circumstances, dwarves would just pack up their things and leave.

If they're unhappy for too long
If they don't feel safe (dwarves keep dying from attacks)
They never get access to their favorite things
If they don't have any friends here
If they don't have a meaningful job and are always scraping for cash
Another, better fortress has opened up (perhaps the player started it himself! wouldn't that be interesting, dwarves from your smaller, less secure, badly designed early fortresses leaving and arriving at your new, large, wealthy fortresses!)

and so on.

Perhaps Nobles would leave, too, if their mandates repeatedly aren't fulfilled, or if the requirements that brought them there (5000 coins, for instance) get lost or traded.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
Re: Emmigration
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 11:55:00 am »

I'm pretty sure they can leave in the new version.

Also, I hope all my haulers don't leave. They may not get paid, but they should, because they're vital to large fortresses. Hopefully dwarves won't leave for things you really can't control and can't plan for.

[ September 27, 2007: Message edited by: Turgid Bolk ]

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 01:10:00 pm »

Yeah if I understand the dev notes right, this was among the first features added to the new version. It's probably in the core/req/bloats somewhere but I can't be arsed to dig.

And I believe haulers do recieve more pay next version. They do actually get paid in the current version but it's laughably little income for the task.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 04:20:00 pm »

Nah, most of the migrant notes in the new version aren't referring to things like your dwarves leaving.  That's more world map stuff to get armies started.  The dwarf mode migration is much the same, or it would be if it weren't completely broken right now.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 05:10:00 pm »

We get only our starting dwarves in the new version?

Well, that fixes the CPU speed issue, at least.

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 05:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Savok:
<STRONG>We get only our starting dwarves in the new version?

Well, that fixes the CPU speed issue, at least.</STRONG>

We only get dwarfs comming in.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 07:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Nah, most of the migrant notes in the new version aren't referring to things like your dwarves leaving.  That's more world map stuff to get armies started.  The dwarf mode migration is much the same, or it would be if it weren't completely broken right now.</STRONG>

Ahh I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

Though the idea still persists then, would be interesting if dwarves come and go between fortresses.