Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: That is supposed to be a dwarven pantheon?  (Read 1455 times)

Fleck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
That is supposed to be a dwarven pantheon?
« on: November 09, 2009, 11:03:19 pm »

I've just been looking through the list of deities of my fellow dwarven civilizations and found this funny little pantheon:

The Rampart of Morals, Dwarves
 Worship List
  Ral, deity: earth
  Aran Renownsieged, deity: fortresses, war
  Asen Depthechoed, deity: jewels, wealth, mountains, caverns
  Conngim, deity: beauty
  Tunur, deity: love
  Sedil Honorsavior, deity: forgiveness
  Tesum the Bright Hardiness, deity: thunder, lightning, storms

The deities in bold are the ones that almost made me spit my drink on the keyboard. I'm still new to dwarf fortress, so I'd like to know if this is normal. Such a bunch of wussies doesn't look very dwarven to me.

Dameleth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That is supposed to be a dwarven pantheon?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 11:12:29 pm »

Enjoy the beauty of gem and stone so masterfully crafted.
Love the smell of burning elven retreats in the morning.
Forgiveness lies at the business end of the hammer, any dwarven hammerer can tell you this.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 12:14:42 am »

Don't worry. Your Dwarven artisans will express their love with beautiful menacing spikes, and forgive the elves for pulling the magmashower lever.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 12:35:19 am »

Love: have you seen how many kids a champion shoots out? There's a whole lot of lovin' going on in those barracks.

Beauty: after a few mugs of dwarf ale, everything is beautiful. Dwarves walk around with permanent beer goggles.

Beauty could also refer to beautiful craftsdwarfship, which is very dwarfy.

Forgiveness: oooook, that one I can't explain. I vote you horribly murder any dwarf who worships her.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 12:58:01 am »

Forgive: 4.    to cease to feel resentment against: to forgive one's enemies. - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/forgive
You can cease to feel resentment against your enemies by watching them burn in the magma, would that explain it?

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 05:06:39 am »

...The collective message of this topic is that dwarven forgiveness is delivered by +elf bone bolt+.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 05:12:24 am »

Beauty is perhaps the most dwarvenly value of all.  For any dwarf that has lost his children, his lover, and all that he holds dear, there is nothing in the world more beautiful than a lushly engraved dining hall and a statue garden featuring a centerpiece of a masterwork aluminum statue encrusted with (imported) diamonds of every variety.

It's also worth noting that in the Dwarven language, the word for 'Forgiveness' also translates as 'Lava', depending on the context.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 05:13:15 am »

...The collective message of this topic is that dwarven forgiveness is delivered by +elf bone bolt+.

It would be particularly interesting if the elf said +elf bone bolt+ came from is still alive, having had his leg chopped off by a dwarven axe and subsequently caged, whereupon you can use the elf bolts you made from his legs on him later on.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 06:16:26 am »

... Can we do that?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 06:38:02 am »

There's no harm in trying! ;D

To succeed you'd need a single axedwarf in a room full of hostile elf siegers, the floor of which is lined with cage traps.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 08:21:11 am »

There's no harm in trying! ;D

To succeed you'd need a single axedwarf in a room full of hostile elf siegers, the floor of which is lined with cage traps.

You'd probably want to use a [trAPIMMUNE] race, like modded orcs, to do that. Axedwarf hacks off the elf's leg, knocking him out from the pain and caging him. Elves in cages are locked in stasis as far as I know, so even if he will die the instant the cage is opened he's stuck. Wait for the leg to rot, process, arm, release, shoot.

It's also worth noting that in the Dwarven language, the word for 'Forgiveness' also translates as 'Lava', depending on the context.

So dwarf forgiveness is magma that's met air? That's dwarfy.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 08:23:58 am »

Right. I'm too used to having Dig Deeper orcs ravaging my dwarves.

Well, I suppose you could give the Elves [trAPIMMUNE]

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 10:27:56 am »

or you could place your trap room where the elven liason can see it on the way in. Once the liason has seen a trap, the elves avoid it IIRC.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 11:10:55 am »

I once had an god of Trade, wealth and death.

The elves and humans shared not my laugh.

Well, anyway.

1. Trap and Torture an Elf. Crime? He is an elf.
2. In the end forgive and release him.
3. Forgive Magma it`s occasionally crimes and release it, too.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 11:17:01 am by Lordinquisitor »

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 03:27:05 pm »

It's too bad nobles can't forgive workers for failing to supply them with toy hammers or whatever else they decide their life's great passion is.

It would be particularly interesting if the elf said +elf bone bolt+ came from is still alive, having had his leg chopped off by a dwarven axe and subsequently caged, whereupon you can use the elf bolts you made from his legs on him later on.
It's just a shame elves can't regenerate legs...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 03:31:05 pm by Quantum Toast »
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!