Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unit List "optimisation" & Stockpile filli  (Read 803 times)

N.tox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unit List "optimisation" & Stockpile filli
« on: December 13, 2007, 08:46:00 pm »

Hi,

I got two (little ?) suggestion.

The first concern the unit list menu :
One thing which really irritate me in the interface is to not directly access to the job list from the Unit list menu, a list of all jobs to the right of that menu would be really great, cause when 20 migrant arrive and you must redefine the jobs of most of them, it's a really boring operation.

The second thing concern the stockpiles :
When we create more than one stockpile of the same type, the dwarves seems to prefer fill the last created stockpile than the nearest, that's enough uncomfortable when we wanna create two "buziness centers" enough far one from the other (i didn't realize that project cause i thought noticed what i was talking about, so maybe i'm wrong, in that case, sorry)

PS : I admitt not have read or search in the twenty-eight pages of that section if what i told have been said...   :roll:

[ December 15, 2007: Message edited by: N.tox ]

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unit List "optimisation" & Stockpile filli
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 08:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by N.tox:
<STRONG>Hi,

I got two (little ?) suggestion.

The first concern the unit list menu :
One thing which really irritate me in the interface is to not directly access to the job list from the Unit list menu, a list of all jobs to the right of that menu would be really great, cause when 20 migrant arrive and you must redefine the jobs of most of them, it's a really boring operation.</STRONG>

Managing dwarf work permissions in a large fort is indeed like flogging dead whales down the beach.  Many players let dwarves run around idle for this reason.  You (and they) need ... Dwarf Foreman
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

N.tox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 10:42:00 pm »

Yeah thanks man   ;), I knew it but did'nt use it cause if I correctly understood (English is not my native language), it's more or less unstable and can corrupt the actual save, doesn't it ?
And still if i correctly understood the concept of the stuff, it allows you to change the job(s) of all dwarves with the same profession, so when migrants arrive, and in their group there is three weaponsmiths for example, and you want one of them becom a miner, and an other a cleaner or anything else, you have to define it manually, and navigate throught the unit list three times. But if you got all the jobs on the right of this screen, you don't have to make many manipulations (? or operations if my word is wrong), that should be a little like the beginning screen... you see what I mean ?

PS : Flogging ? What does it mean ?

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: N.tox ]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 11:35:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>The second thing concern the stockpiles :
When we create more than one stockpile of the same type, the dwarves seems to prefer fill the last created stockpile than the nearest, that's enough uncomfortable when we wanna create two "buziness centers" enough far one from the other (i didn't realize that project cause i thought noticed what i was talking about, so maybe i'm wrong, in that case, sorry)</STRONG>

Stockpiles, when created, task for each tile of size (a 1x1 will task 1 a 2x2 will task 4) one object that goes in that stockpile, moving from nearest to farthest (as per DF's slightly wack distance formula).  So for example, you create two very large 20x20 stone stockpiles at opposite ends of your fort.  Each will start tasking the nearest stones until they are full, or they run out of stones.

Now, if one end of your fortress had a line of stone leading towards the other stockpile, where in the vicinity there was a large cavern of stone, some stones will be tasked for the first pile because It Got Them First.  They were the "next nearest stone" as far as the pile was concerned, but the pile wasn't the nearest pile to the stone.

Believe me when I say this is a better method than the previous stockpiles in the 2D version.  You'd place a stockpile in the hopes of getting "these stones" and end up with a pile full of stones from Some Where Else because piles tasked dwarves, who tasked stones (or something) by starting in the upper left coner and working SE.

quote:
<STRONG>PS : Flogging ? What does it mean ?</STRONG>

Whipping.

N.tox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »

Ok thanks  :) (for your two answers), so i was wrong, sorry.