Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 47

Author Topic: Wizard Duel - Round 3 - Over: All Hail Jim Groovester!  (Read 57750 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Duel - Round 3 - Duel 3 Set-Up Phase
« Reply #510 on: December 10, 2009, 07:07:34 pm »

Org inscribes Lime Green runes of Air in the air above JanusTwoFace to give him a Speed Boost
RedWarrior0 inscribes Cyan runes of Earth in the air above JanusTwoFace to give him a Defense Boost

Set-up phase ends in 1 hour
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 10, 2009, 08:24:35 pm »

Did nooone get my joke?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 10, 2009, 08:25:14 pm »

Set-up is now closed. The duel will be posted once I have a chance to do all the write-ups.

@Org: I got it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 10, 2009, 08:26:14 pm »

hehehe

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #514 on: December 10, 2009, 08:30:47 pm »

*crosses fingers*

I'm not sure if that's quite enough to overcome a Cabal mage.  We'll see...
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 10, 2009, 08:31:29 pm »

Cabal with Assist beats Cabal no assist.

PrinnyBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 10, 2009, 08:35:54 pm »

Well- I'm not exactly unaware of basic probability, and it looks like it wants my head. Combined with the fact that generally my luck says screw me usually-

*Flips his one chip*

The most beautiful thing is that winning a match in these circumstances is scummy if my interpretation of basic probability is correct. Something rather entertaining on it's own. Well~ If I had seen someone else win in the same, I'd probably suspect the same to be honest.

Still~ I kind of want to go out with a cliche one-liner if I must. Guess I better get to work coming up with one.
I hope someone may note the type I so enjoy, the style I love to play via by my more subtle ploy...

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #517 on: December 10, 2009, 08:38:12 pm »

This is true.  With the assists I have I would have (roughly) a 72% chance of winning against another Cabal mage (if we both choose off elements).

However, I am not.  Assuming again that the off elements are chosen, I do have a slight edge (58%) with the assists, but not enough to bet my life on IMO (not that I have a choice).
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 11, 2009, 11:59:14 am »

This is true.  With the assists I have I would have (roughly) a 72% chance of winning against another Cabal mage (if we both choose off elements).

However, I am not.  Assuming again that the off elements are chosen, I do have a slight edge (58%) with the assists, but not enough to bet my life on IMO (not that I have a choice).

Why on earth do you keep referring to yourself as Cabal?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 11, 2009, 12:40:41 pm »

The two duelists walk out into the arena, JanusTwoFace from the north and PrinnyBaal from the south.

JanusTwoFace walks upon a road of blue runes, which explode into fire behind him. He casually leans on his quarterstaff when he gets to his starting circle.

PrinnyBaal steps lightly to his spot and pulls out a slim sword. Waving it in the air he causes shimmering purple runes to dance in the air around him, trailing flames and bursting into light and sparks as they fly.

At the signal from the Marshal the purple mage rushes forward, slashing the blade as he goes. At each slash of the blade a purple rune flies forward to explode against Janus's shields. The blue runes flare and crackle, and a few fail. The blue mage staggers backwards as a burst of hot air and fire washes over him. Batting at the flames along his robe he sends out a quick burst of fire, but they wash harmlessly over the purple mage's shields.

A quick follow-up stab with his staff sends a gout of flame washing over his opponent. PrinnyBaal ducks onto the ground and rolls, extinguishing the fires that sprung up on his cloak. He stabs his sword at Janus, and purple flames burst from the ground at the blue mage's feet.

Janus dances back quickly, raising an arm against the heat. He slashes twice with his staff, the first slash sending out a crescent of blue flame that causes the purple mage to jump quickly to the side to avoid. The second slash bring up a gout of fire from the spot PrinnyBaal moved to, which engulfs the purple mage in flames. PrinnyBaal vanishes for a moment, and appears a few steps ahead with only his cloak in flames. He slides his blade down the length of the cloak and sends the blue flames spinning back at their caster, but Janus bats them side with his rune-sheathed staff.

The purple mage sprints forward, throwing up a curtain of light and flame between himself and JanusTwoFace. Blinded by the display, the Janus's answering crescents of flame skim harmlessly through the air.

Then, from through the shimmering curtain, PrinnyBaal appears next to JanusTwoFace. Sword and staff clash in blinding sparks of purple and blue as the two mages duel. PrinnyBaal seems to dance and flicker, his form vanishing and reappearing around the blue mage as he strikes blow after blow against his opponent. Robes slashed in several places JanusTwoFace strikes back, but the purple mage vanishes in a flash of light and the flaming blue staff passes through nothing but air.

Janus then spins his staff through the air, sending a wide circle of blue flames arcing out through the arena. PrinnyBaal appears a few feet away, his sword held near his face as his runes flare to life around him. He sends and answering blast of scalding air at the blue mage, but it explodes in a shower of purple sparks when it hits the circle of flame.

The purple mage then ducks low, and scrapes his blade against the floor. Purple sparks spring up in its wake and lance towards the blue mage who staggers back from the assault. Janus sends another wave of blue fire out, but it passes harmlessly over the head of his crouching opponent.

Prinny springs forward again, his form bending and shifting in the hot air. Purple flames trail the blade of his sword as he stabs it forward, sparks flying as Janus bats it aside. A quick twist of the blade and it slides along Janus' arm as Prinny brings it back. Janus grimaces in pain, but spins his staff around to slam the purple mage in the stomach.

Blade and staff collide again as Prinny blocks the follow-up swing, and a wave of purple flames cascades off the blade and over Janus as the Prinny steps back with a flourish. As the blue mage covers his face with his arm, the swordsmage lunges forward, only to meet the glowing blue staff head on. The weapons lock for a moment, sparks flying, before JanusTwoFace unleashes a torrent of blows. A shimmering wave of blue and purple surround the two and PrinnyBaal furiously blocks blow after blow, finally he steps back and brings a wall of purple flame up between the two, wincing as he clenches and opens a singed hand.

You see the wall of flames part and flash of purple light, and the next moment you see JanusTwoFace crumple forward and fall off of Prinny's blade. The purple mage holds that pose for a moment, and then sheathes the blade with a flourish and vanishes.

The healers quickly run forward and levitate the blue mage off the field.

Looking up at the Floating Announcement Board you see:
  JanusTwoFace, Warior Mage of Earth has lost a duel and is removed from the Tournament!

Duel 3 has concluded. Voting for Duel 4 starts now, and will go until ~5pm Pacific Tuesday
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Duel - Round 3 - Duel 4 Vote Phase
« Reply #520 on: December 11, 2009, 01:03:35 pm »

Priny, isn't it odd how you beat someone with more assists than you with a fair amount of ease, even when you didn't pick the right element?

And... hmm, looks like 4 scum v 5 townies.  We can win this yet.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 11, 2009, 01:23:27 pm »

He was a warrior mage as well, which just adds to the suspicion, Prinny.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 11, 2009, 03:34:25 pm »

Prinny, I hate to jump on the wagon, but you need to die. You are Cabal.

Also, someone is a Nullifier or whatever stops assists. My assist had no effect.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 11, 2009, 04:38:22 pm »

Halmie, Org, come down here and tell us your inspection results.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 11, 2009, 04:51:21 pm »

I was roleblocked, AGAIN.

Yeah, Prinny dies.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 47