Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 47

Author Topic: Wizard Duel - Round 3 - Over: All Hail Jim Groovester!  (Read 57839 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Duel - Round 3 - Duel 2 Vote Phase
« Reply #285 on: December 01, 2009, 11:16:11 am »

It is. I asked over a pm awhile ago and he said it is given publicly.

EDIT: It is done publicly.

Correct, an alchemist's potion is given publicly.
Even to himself?

Yes, using a potion is always a public action.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 01, 2009, 02:11:46 pm »

Well, looking at how well Magma did speed wise, I suspect he has some sort of speed attribute, Time Mage maybe? Or he could have got helped by a subtle mage. But, why would a subtle Mage assist when everyone agreed to no assist? The only reason is (s)he is Cabal. So, that throws a bit of suspicion onto MagmaDeath there.

Yee gads, Band Wagon or what?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 01, 2009, 02:34:46 pm »

The Glowing Tally Board
MagmaDeath : Frelock, Halmie, Kashyyk, RedWarrior0
Org : Frelock
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 01, 2009, 03:37:28 pm »

Yeah, It seems I'm going in again.

Well, I think that either Org or Pandarsenic should jump in the ring with me.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 01, 2009, 04:17:28 pm »

MagmaDeath, because he won decisively, as everyone has already pointed out. So either he has a battle role, is Cabal, got lucky, or some combination of all three.

Any particular reason why those two?

MagmaDeath, if you contributed more, I'd be willing to consider unvoting you. Your win in the ring isn't necessarily damning, but unless you start posting more for me to get a read on you, I'm going to have to be safe and keep the vote on you. A decent start would be to explain your logic behind your votes on Org and Pandarsenic.

Well, that went fast. As soon as I get to a computer, magma's getting a vote. I need to reread Neruz's posts, to see who he was after. Maybe he was on to something.

While everybody is voting for MagmaDeath, to be sure, the tone of your post strikes me that your vote is automatic, and that bugs me. Care to explain?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 01, 2009, 04:27:24 pm »

I'm really disappointed that didn't last longer.  Now, strictly in terms of speed, Magmadeath really outclassed Exkirby.  He rolled at least 10 higher on the first shot.  He also only got 2 attacks through, meaning those attacks must have done 20 or more damage combined.  Also, ExKirby's only attack did not hit Magma, so his choice of attacking element was irrelevant.

Now, even if Magma was cabal, he still would have needed to get extraordinarily lucky in order to finish off Exkirby so quickly.  However, I'm fairly certain he had something going for him; 5/6 rolls were in his favor, and 3/5 rolls were more than 10 apart.  Therefore, for the time being, I think that Magmadeath should be re-tested.

Now, as to the other dualist, Org might want a chance in the ring.
No. Why>

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #291 on: December 01, 2009, 05:19:24 pm »

A flawless, quick victory?
Possibilities and/or contributing factors:

1. Magma was Cabal
2. Bad choice of attacking element
3. "Assists self with earth" presented some WIFOM, but Magma might not have thought of that and assumed Ex was Earth
4. Magma had healing, defense, or some other kind of role bonus
5. Magma had Subtle mage boosting him, possibly Alchemist (does the Alchemist potion stay secret?)

All in all, I'd like to see what Magma's reaction to this is. Why do you think you won so quickly?

1) Always a possibility...
2) What do you mean?  A good choice would make things go faster, but what would a bad choice mean?
3) See above
4) I don't think defense would help and I don't think there is a role with a healing bonus.  Speed though, that seems likely.  A Time Mage perhaps?
5) If so, I'm pretty sure that said Subtle Mage is Cabal.

Mod: Would we know if a Subtle Mage had assisted?

Unfortunately, I did choose the wrong attack element, water, from that wine.

Saying assist self with earth and you choose water?  This seems unusual, because if you wanted to have an advantage over earth, you would choose air.

Remember that with the increased health a 3 shot victory is still comparatively fast.

I say we test MagmaDeath against the most scummy looking person at the end of the vote phase. If anyone disagrees please state why.

The alchemists potion is public so it couldn't of been that.

A 3 short victory is fast, but not unusually fast.  Especially if he's a Time and/or Cabal Mage.  A Time Mage would get an extra attack if he only wins the initiative by 5 (instead of 10) and a Cabal Mage would increase that even further.

Yeah, It seems I'm going in again.

Do you want to go in the ring again?  Because right now, in my opinion you're the scummist looking person in the game.  Partially because you won the first round so readily and partially because you don't seem to be even trying to make yourself look less scummy.

On the other hand, why Org and/or Pandarsenic?
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 01, 2009, 05:25:13 pm »

Mod: Would we know if a Subtle Mage had assisted?

No, a subtle mage is undetectable.
Come play Mafia with us!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 01, 2009, 05:48:36 pm »

1) Always a possibility...
2) What do you mean?  A good choice would make things go faster, but what would a bad choice mean?
3) See above
4) I don't think defense would help and I don't think there is a role with a healing bonus.  Speed though, that seems likely.  A Time Mage perhaps?
5) If so, I'm pretty sure that said Subtle Mage is Cabal.
I (possibly) sort of misunderstood the mechanism, I guess. I'm saying with defense role possibility that even though the flavor says he misses, I think it means Ex got a bad attack.

First, though, I completely forgot about the flavor being important and showing who used what. For that, ignore #3. On 2, bad choice for Exirby. Should've cleared that. I meant the possibility that Magma is Earth.

Okay, looking over it, I think that Magma is an Archmage. I'm unsure as to his Cabal status, though.

PrinnyBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 01, 2009, 06:06:05 pm »

To be honest, at the moment I've got mostly just my instincts. Something I've always found doesn't work out that well, but... I guess I could try and vote based on them. I'll mention again; these are instincts. I can give general categories as to why I feel that way, but I'm terrible at communicating these sorts of things, so...

First, Vote RandomNumberGodenerator. Again, I can't put a specific finger on it, but I suppose the biggest thing is that I haven't had much contact with him directly despite me actually trying in this case.

The second is to Vote Frelock if only because he's sort of hovering around the edge of the field where I usually notice people. (In terms of mannerisms, posting rate, and category of interests) I'm not sure exactly what that means but... One way or another that usually gets me suspicious in general.

Again, those are very vague reasons and as such, I doubt I'll get much off of this... but I figured I may as well openly post these, even though it's unlikely I've got much of anything.
I hope someone may note the type I so enjoy, the style I love to play via by my more subtle ploy...

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 01, 2009, 06:20:33 pm »

No. Why>
Because you keep making posts like this one.  Who do you think is cabal?

First, though, I completely forgot about the flavor being important and showing who used what. For that, ignore #3. On 2, bad choice for Exirby. Should've cleared that. I meant the possibility that Magma is Earth.

Okay, looking over it, I think that Magma is an Archmage. I'm unsure as to his Cabal status, though.

When you choose the same element as the person you're attacking, you halve all damage you deal to said person.  ExKirby got 1 attack in, which did not get past Magma's defenses, so he dealt no damage.  Thus, his choice of element was irrelevant in terms of the dual.

What makes you think he's an archmage specifically?
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 01, 2009, 06:27:48 pm »

No. Why>
Because you keep making posts like this one.  Who do you think is cabal?

When you choose the same element as the person you're attacking, you halve all damage you deal to said person.  ExKirby got 1 attack in, which did not get past Magma's defenses, so he dealt no damage.  Thus, his choice of element was irrelevant in terms of the dual.

What makes you think he's an archmage specifically?
scratches chin...

hmmmm...

not to sure. Magma might be a combat role, but cabal is also likely.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 01, 2009, 06:41:16 pm »

\What makes you think he's an archmage specifically?
Well, he attacked quickly.
Second, he seemed to do a lot of damage, as three turns (what it looked like and what the general consensus appears to be) is quite a fast win, especially with the increased health.

This seems to imply 2 boosted stats, so he might be time/war mage who got subtlely boosted in the other attribute.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 01, 2009, 06:48:42 pm »

To be honest, at the moment I've got mostly just my instincts. Something I've always found doesn't work out that well, but... I guess I could try and vote based on them. I'll mention again; these are instincts. I can give general categories as to why I feel that way, but I'm terrible at communicating these sorts of things, so...

First, Vote RandomNumberGodenerator. Again, I can't put a specific finger on it, but I suppose the biggest thing is that I haven't had much contact with him directly despite me actually trying in this case.

So you're voting me for no reason at all? Good to know. I guess I can't exactly argue my side then.

Anyway, I'll put a vote out for MagmaDeath, because I am hoping for another no-assist round with him. If he wins again, then it is very likely he is either an archmage or cabal(or both).

My second vote will be for Org, not because of whatever lurker tendencies he may have, but because he was the other person Neruz voted for. Not that that means much, a lot of people voted for Neruz, but at this point in the game there isn't much to go by. 
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 01, 2009, 06:51:20 pm »

Sorry, I meant a lot of people voted for Org.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 47