Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 47

Author Topic: Wizard Duel - Round 3 - Over: All Hail Jim Groovester!  (Read 57593 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Duel - Round 3 - Duel 1 Vote Phase
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2009, 07:40:56 pm »

Sorry I was asleep. Unvote JanusTwoFace.

Vote ExKirby ofcourse. He still wants to go in the ring. Just doesn't want to have all the assists against him.
Which is what makes me think he might be scum. Cabal's native power boost is enough to win if the assists are fairly even, but if all are piled onto one then the Cabal will still lose.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

PrinnyBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2009, 07:52:52 pm »

Yay! I received vote based love back from RNG- But in all honestly, it's fine, I don't need it. Thanks for the affection.

Anyway, I'd like to point out that technically, near everything that's going to happen day 1 is going to be policy on some level, although to be honest, the piles revolving around Kirb and Org are both rather full of oddities. A bunch of people started backing down off of Kirb, but it seems that every time someone would get back and replace a vote. Huh. I'm not used to it being so perfect timing as that.

... Well, I guess I may as well ask more questions for people to answer; nothing directed atm, but I'd like everyone to answer if they can, as these questions will be important for one method of scum hunting.

1: Is it better for the town to leave matches between pairs of suspected scum evenly balanced in terms of assists; Please explain your answer.

2: If a player is unsuspected for being scum, and is in with someone who is suspected for being scum, how should you help; Please explain your answer.

3: What implications do turn 1 to 2 victories have on the victor; If they used their opponent's element? If they used a neutral element? If they used the opposite element?

4: What implications does a particularly long or drawn out fight imply for the victor; If they used their opponent's element? If they used a neutral element? If they used the opposite element?

5: Do your homework; If you check, for this game health was increased, which should cause many battles to be slightly more drawn out. For that matter, one other thing changed notably that should be factored in, what is this?

... And PPE: You two, you do realize he's pointed out it's tradition at this point; as in, most people are going to vote him in anyway? Look at the votes so far day 1; He only came on after he had a couple votes already. I appreciate the thought, you put into voting him, but it seems improperly biased still. Meh.
I hope someone may note the type I so enjoy, the style I love to play via by my more subtle ploy...

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2009, 08:29:27 pm »

1: Is it better for the town to leave matches between pairs of suspected scum evenly balanced in terms of assists; Please explain your answer. Leave it balanced, that way whichever one lives is weakened.

2: If a player is unsuspected for being scum, and is in with someone who is suspected for being scum, how should you help; Please explain your answer. Depends how sure you are. If you're reasonably confident he's against scum, pump that sucker up. He's gonna need it.

3: What implications do turn 1 to 2 victories have on the victor; If they used their opponent's element? If they used a neutral element? If they used the opposite element?

4: What implications does a particularly long or drawn out fight imply for the victor; If they used their opponent's element? If they used a neutral element? If they used the opposite element? if they used their opponents element but still had a drawn out fight, they're probably a combat-oriented or Cabal Wizard. Neutral element, they're about evenly matched, so unless he was against a combat-oriented mage he's PROBABLY not Cabal. If he used the opposite element but still won after a while, he's probably not Cabal.

5: Do your homework; If you check, for this game health was increased, which should cause many battles to be slightly more drawn out. For that matter, one other thing changed notably that should be factored in, what is this? No idea, I wasn't alive in Wizard Duel 2 to remember its rules and I don't much care. I'm just working within the present ruleset.

This is all obvious or useless.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2009, 11:26:58 pm »

I've been away all day (checking up on my phone), so these are the responses I've had as I've been catching up on the thread.

Behold: An insane wall of text!

Summary (for those who don't want to read the full version):
- FoS Kashyyk, Pandarsenic, Frelock MagmaDeath, and Neruz for going for an (appearantly) well supported lynch right off the bat.  It looks like you are Cabal trying to get two Tower mages into the ring right off the bat and are going for easy targets.
- FoS Org for posting but nothing of real consequence (par for the course really, but that doesn't excuse it)
- RandomNumberGenerator and Kashyyk (at the very least) should go through and double check the rules again on healing between battles (at least I think I'm right, I'll go check too)

Mod: Mages start each battle with full health, correct?

Spoiler: Oh man this is long (click to show/hide)

That being said:
- vote Neruz for joining the Org/ExKirby wagon right after Jim Grovvester (always thought it was Groovestar, oops), RedWarrior, and Kashyyk were arguing about just that and for not really having much content yet either
- vote Pandarsenic for going after Org/ExKirby even as an experienced player without providing an explanation beyond 'well why shouldn't I?'
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2009, 11:30:09 pm »

Bitch, unvote me or give me a good reason not to use them as test subjects. It's not like they'll help us any other way
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2009, 11:40:18 pm »

Meph, could you clarify what the healing rules are?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2009, 12:10:52 am »

Bitch, unvote me or give me a good reason not to use them as test subjects. It's not like they'll help us any other way

That's an odd response. Test subjects for what?

Anyway, here's a reason to unvote them: they're not guilty of anything other than being bad players at this point.

I get you're fed up with them, but that's no reason to carry the grudge you have against them (which you make known just about everywhere in this subforum) into this game.

Halmie, you're guilty of joining the Org-ExKirby bandwagon.

Sorry I was asleep. Unvote JanusTwoFace.

Vote ExKirby ofcourse. He still wants to go in the ring. Just doesn't want to have all the assists against him.

We might as well make sure that ExKirby wanting to be in the ring is the case.

ExKirby: Do you still want to go into the ring, or was my attempt to get you to change this tradition you keep perpetuating useless?

Back to you, Halmie. Is there any particular reason why you think ExKirby not wanting the assists to be piled against him is a scummy thing to do?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2009, 12:15:56 am »

As a general rule, I wouldn't particularly mind you using them as test subjects, especially Org.  However, I think that your behavior is more scummy than theirs at the present point, thus the vote.

Also, I agree with Jim.  Test subjects for what exactly?  Cabal experimentation?
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2009, 12:34:20 am »

Healing

All mages are healed completely before and after combat. The healing assist is only used to heal mages during combat.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2009, 12:59:11 am »

As a general rule, I wouldn't particularly mind you using them as test subjects, especially Org.  However, I think that your behavior is more scummy than theirs at the present point, thus the vote.

Also, I agree with Jim.  Test subjects for what exactly?  Cabal experimentation?

See how fast they die against people. If they die too fast they're probably scum.

How am I more scummy?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

PrinnyBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2009, 02:25:46 am »

First, I see you guys successfully missed the reason I posted those questions; Well, figures since it's been the standard...

If the cabal has the advantage, and while yes; it's true statistically, we can analyze the pattern and find general categories for people's hits/blocks etc, there's a problem; Even if that finds Cabal, doesn't it tend to find them slower? God forbid the Cabal uses that; and we end up getting the weakest Cabal roles first, and the strongest Cabal roles last. If we're slow about it, we'll never actually succeed. That's what my reading of the last two games has picked up.

So; wouldn't the best method of finding Cabal actually to be to let people to assist the one they believe is the townie; and try and refine our cabal hunting speed through a combination of that, as well as things like what people say, and the various other things.

Just... I dunno, maybe as an outsider that's my opinion that hasn't been influenced by the games, but really; we can't let the game go down to the narrow margin if we have a choice.

Anyway; as for my thoughts thus far; I can't really point at anyone specifically. I'm working on forming my own suspicions, but... not much to say. I suppose next I should start getting PMs going, and try and decide where to dedicate my attention...
I hope someone may note the type I so enjoy, the style I love to play via by my more subtle ploy...

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2009, 02:35:39 am »

I didn't say it was scummy. Tests need to be done and if ExKirby wants to be part of it I'm cool with that. Anyway it may mean he doesn't have a power role and is cabal or

And I'm pretty sure I was the first one to vote for anyone. If ExKirby doesn't want to be in the ring I will retract my vote.

I'm tired and it seems like whoever I vote for is a scumtell. Org has a history of being unhelpful. If we can use him for tests maybe he can help in another way.
Meh.

PrinnyBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2009, 02:43:11 am »

I'm just going to say; If you get doubles, or triples of the same message from me, or weird glitches or anything; It's because for some reason, this forum keeps hanging whenever I try to send messages, and I've been having enough problems trying to figure out how to get it to just politely go through and send them.

Sorry for any problems caused thereby.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2009, 03:21:32 am »

Yeah it's the same for me. Keeps timing out on me.
Meh.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2009, 03:29:43 am »

See how fast they die against people. If they die too fast they're probably scum.

How am I more scummy?

If who dies too fast who's scum?

As for your scumminess, Pandarsenic, it might have to do with how you don't care whether Org or ExKirby are Tower. And it might have something to do with you starting, or at the very least, encouraging a bandwagon on the two just because you didn't like them.

So; wouldn't the best method of finding Cabal actually to be to let people to assist the one they believe is the townie; and try and refine our cabal hunting speed through a combination of that, as well as things like what people say, and the various other things.

No. Letting people assist how they please muddies up the results of the duel even more than the random nature of its combat does.

Say a Tower and a Cabal are duking it out. The Cabal will invent some reason to help their partner, while everybody else splits their assists evenly between the two duelists. The Cabal will win. Can you attribute the win to his boosted stats? No, of course not, because he had all those assists. His victory means nothing in terms of Towerness or Cabalness.

Let's say the same situation occurs, but everybody agrees to not assist. The Cabal wins, and he used the wrong element. Can you attribute that to his boosted stats? Not necessarily, but it's a better indicator that he might be Cabal than if everybody assisted freely.

It's therefore more informative to arrange assists as a group.

You see what I'm getting at? Last round, we arranged our assists like that, and we did a pretty decent job finding scum, even though Org still won. It's not like that was the only reason for our success in finding scum, though, but it may have helped.

I didn't say it was scummy. Tests need to be done and if ExKirby wants to be part of it I'm cool with that. Anyway it may mean he doesn't have a power role and is cabal or

And I'm pretty sure I was the first one to vote for anyone. If ExKirby doesn't want to be in the ring I will retract my vote.

I'm tired and it seems like whoever I vote for is a scumtell. Org has a history of being unhelpful. If we can use him for tests maybe he can help in another way.

You were the first to vote for Org, but you were the latest person to vote for ExKirby. So, a half bandwagon.

I don't really care that you were the first to vote, or that you were the first to vote for Org. It's the reasons that are important to me. I find it suspicious, however, that you would tout that you were first to vote. Were you trying to avoid being accused of being on a bandwagon by pointing out that you were first? Was it a Cabal scheme you cooked up?

I understand your opinion of Org, and everybody else's for that matter, but has he really done anything in this game that makes you think he's Cabal? If not, I think you should seriously reexamine your reasons for voting for him.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 47