Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Starcraft 2: No beta this year, part one out somewhere Q2 2010.  (Read 3313 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft 2: No beta this year, part one out somewhere Q2 2010.
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 04:02:54 pm »

How much better is the path-finding?  That was my main gripe with the first game.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 04:04:06 pm »

Much better! Haven't had any issues with it so far at all.

Of course, it helps that my biggest unit (the colossus) just sort of steps over everything.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 04:07:08 pm »

Wanna bet that was a kludge?  It'd be nice if they stayed near other units.

What about the number of dudes you can have ordered around at a time?  That was big worry in the evolution from Starcraft to Warcraft 3 was the increasingly smaller number of units you could produce.

C'mon man, we want all kinds of specifics.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 04:15:00 pm »

Nah, it's not a kludge. It's actually a major feature of the colossus, since he can step over your own and enemy units and up/down cliffs. Makes is a very mobile unit. I don't think any of the other huge units (like the Thor or Ultralisk) can do that. Although since I haven't played Terran or Zerg yet so I don't know for sure, but no one has mentioned it.

As for controlling units, it seems to be pretty good so far. Protoss don't usually have giant armies, so I'm not 100% sure, but I do know that it's smarter about spell-casters. For example, when you have the High Templar psi-storm an area only one in the group will cast there and you can cycle through the individuals in the group and have them cast in different areas. Much better then it used to be.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 04:18:14 pm »

Judging from the swarm of zerg I saw in a video from beta, you can select as many as you please. The guy built a couple hundred 'lings and sent em across the map; and judging by the patterns the wave of flesh was moving it, they appear to have been all under the same control. Looked like the inside of a bee hive, it was awesome. Can't wait until my pre-order gets here, as I have no beta myself :(

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 04:21:23 pm »

Its all about clicks-per-minute and micromanagement.

I suck at that.  But, I was mostly there for the custom games.  There is no beta custom map maker or something is there?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 04:30:53 pm »

I think there is a map maker, but I haven't tried it out yet.
Come play Mafia with us!

Giant Snowman

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a Giant Snowman adventure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 07:08:32 pm »

I hope they put in that JASS extension so the programming in the maps is a bit easier. And some better templates for special abilities because it was always confusing which one you needed to base your own new ability on.
Benzene on steam.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 06:27:18 pm »

What about the number of dudes you can have ordered around at a time?  That was big worry in the evolution from Starcraft to Warcraft 3 was the increasingly smaller number of units you could produce.

No problem here.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 09:54:13 pm »

I suck at that.  But, I was mostly there for the custom games.  There is no beta custom map maker or something is there?

That is a lie if I have ever seen one.

No beta map maker, though Blizzard hopes to release one sometime mid-beta, I think.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 01:14:53 pm »

New patch last night, which changed a lot of units. The Protoss High Templar and Mothership got a few abilities swapped out, for example. So it looks like they're actively trying out new stuff to balance everything.

Sadly, I was busy and didn't get a chance to really play around with the changes much. I'll give a new report tonight after I get a chance to play a bit.
Come play Mafia with us!

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 03:19:28 pm »

That is a lie if I have ever seen one.

No beta map maker, though Blizzard hopes to release one sometime mid-beta, I think.

Wait, what? Starcraft is 100% APM and micro.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 04:24:11 pm »

Well, even if you've got the highest click speed of the whole world, you're going to get squshed like a marine in a zergling hive if you don't have the tactics to back it up ;)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 05:04:19 pm »

Well, even if you've got the highest click speed of the whole world, you're going to get squshed like a marine in a zergling hive if you don't have the tactics to back it up ;)

Implementing tactics and responding to enemy tactics is micromanagement.

Even if your tactics are overall better, it can be thrown off with 1-3 well placed psi storms by a micromanager.  Or whatever skills from defilers/sci vessels too.

A micromanager can also get themselves out of well placed psi storms or whatever with minimal damage too.

Micro is very effective....  It can mean a lot when you can control spell users and still move your troops around to avoid enemy spells at the same time.  And still recruit up more troops for the next skirmish.

Fast clicking (and effective use of keyboard commands) supplements the micromanager... insanely effectively.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2010, 08:19:30 pm »

That's true. Micromanagement and speed is a prerequest for being able to properly implement the strategies, but on their own they won't win. You can't beat an opponent by spamming nothing but reavers the whole game. ;)

On another note, I've just finished listening to some of the terran's soundtracks, and they're awsome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3