Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Starcraft 2: No beta this year, part one out somewhere Q2 2010.  (Read 3312 times)

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
Starcraft 2: No beta this year, part one out somewhere Q2 2010.
« on: November 09, 2009, 02:23:13 pm »

As you can see from my nickname I like Starcraft. By extension, I would like Starcraft  to be released, even though I probably won't buy ANY game costing 150 euros, but still.
Then Blizzard announces that the SC2 beta, that was coming out 'in a few weeks' 2 months ago, won't be coming out this year. I then looked for somewhere to commit copyright infringement on Workerdrone's signature line, and found that this forum doesn't seem to have an SC2 thread yet.

So, now I'm done rambling:
RAEG, of the nerd variant.

And now that we're at it anyway, let's make this the overal starcraft (2) thread.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft 2: No beta this year, part one out somewhere Q2 2010.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 03:21:53 pm »

I kinda gave up on it, they screwed up everything that can be screwed up. No LAN multiplayer? Go have a magma bath, Blizzard.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 03:23:35 pm »

Sorry, but I can't afford to mainline caffeine every day to boost my reflexes high enough to survive playing Starcraft on Battle.net, so I'm gonna pass on Starcraft 2.
Shoes...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 04:41:54 pm »

Why are you raeging against a company that has the balls to not send out an unfinished, bug-ridden and horribly unbalanced product early to please the cashgrabbing manager, publishers, stakehlders etc.?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 06:07:28 pm »

Why are you raeging against a company that has the balls to not send out an unfinished, bug-ridden and horribly unbalanced product early to please the cashgrabbing manager, publishers, stakehlders etc.?

Because those balls were cut off last year with the purchase of Vivendi by Activision. Now they're in it entirely for the money, whereas before they had a modicum of independence and taste.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 08:43:01 pm »

No. You have to have balls to release a horrible, bugridden, crappy game to the general public, and watch as your angry Korean fan-base burns you at the stake.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 05:17:34 pm »

Beta is now out.

I just got my invitation (from the Key I got at Blizzcon in 2008), so we'll see how it goes tonight. If it's anything like what I got to test out back then, I'm going to love it!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 05:40:02 pm »

Tell us how it is. I was already kind of disappointed with this game, let's see how good it is.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 12:25:24 pm »

Got to play a few games last night.

It's quite good! Provided that you liked Starcraft to begin with, anyway.

But the graphics are nice, the gameplay has improved a bit, and there are lots of new units and abilities to learn.

So far I've just played Protoss, and I haven't even tried out all of their new tech yet. But what I have used has been fun and both similar enough that my old basic strategies work ok while being new enough that I need to come up with a lot of new strategies to actually use everything to its fullest.

But I only lost one game last night, and that's because I was tired and didn't switch over to High Templar fast enough to counter my opponents carrier swarms. So at least I know what I did wrong there.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 03:16:39 pm »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 03:18:29 pm »

Hehe. Oddly, I haven't actually been rushed yet.

And you can make a custom game with a Very Easy AI opponent to play against, who mostly sits there and waits for you to come stomp on him. Very handy for learning the game.

I am sad that they don't have any more competent AI's yet, but I guess they're waiting on the Beta to finish balancing things before the AI really gets finalized.
Come play Mafia with us!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 03:37:19 pm »

The AI in RTS games is rarely good. I'm not known for liking RTS games, but I will give this a try some time.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 03:47:15 pm »

The AI in Warcraft III could be punishingly good sometimes, so I expect that when Blizzard does release the full game the AI will be up to snuff. It won't beat expert players, of course, but it's a good challenge for the rest of us.
Come play Mafia with us!

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 03:57:14 pm »

Warcraft 3's AI was awesome.
This beta thing sounds cool, signed up, how long do I have to wait for an invitation?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 03:59:59 pm »

No idea. I got mine this early only because I had a key from Blizzcon 2008. Regular sign-ups...you only get a chance at getting in, I think, and I have no idea how often they'll be using those.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: [1] 2 3