Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Play 2D Adventure mode!  (Read 1869 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Play 2D Adventure mode!
« on: November 08, 2009, 09:19:58 pm »

It's different and in most cases feels more complete.

When Toady moved on 3d he couldn't transfer all the stuff. Also it's really fast in case you use a weak pc and cannot handle the slowdown in adv. mode.

In case someone needs graphics, I've packed a graphical version with some tweaks and a pre-generated world, it's in the DF modding section. Also expect a few updates soon which add fancier zombies and new nobles.

I really enjoy it. I've visited a few ruins so far and was properly obliterated by hordes of undead.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Play 2D Adventure mode!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 08:24:27 pm »

Also it's really fast in case you use a weak pc and cannot handle the slowdown in adv. mode.

I'm confused by this statement. Do you mean 2D adventure mode was faster than 3D? Because 2D fortress mode was definitely like 10x slower than 3D.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 08:45:51 pm »

Yes, 2d adv. mode flies. It's like you're on drugs and riding a sportscar.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 07:42:10 am »

... it crashes?

Just kidding. ;D I might try it out. You can only [T]ravel to locations via world map, right?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 09:02:59 am »

... it crashes?

Just kidding. ;D I might try it out. You can only [T]ravel to locations via world map, right?
Yup, 2d forts are also loads of fun, especially when you screw up redlining the chasm. Unfortunatly, the last 2d version was somehow broken and no enemies would spawn. D:
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 05:35:38 pm »

What would be the best 2d version of Dwarf Mode? What happens when you fall in a pond, do you drown?
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 09:59:12 am »

From my experience, it wasn't possible to willingly move into a pond (i.e. there was no Alt-move like we have today), but if you landed in a pond, you would get Winded for a while until you either swam out of the pond or drowned. There was no Swimming skill, so oceans on the world map were truly impassable.

Additionally, above-ground rivers didn't actually exist beyond the world map (occasionally, caves would contain a short underground river from which frogmen and such would emerge), and it was completely impossible to refill your waterskin (a cached version of the archived wiki claims you could buy a new waterskin and it would be filled automatically, but this wasn't true in 0.23.130.23a).

The old version was also very slow when Travelling, since the world was always Large (257x257) and had over a thousand years of history (compared to 3D versions, where the default is 129x129 and 200 years).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 02:56:27 pm »

(compared to 3D versions, where the default is 129x129 and 200 years).
That's only true of 39a and up, as I recall.
I know 38c generated to the previous standard 1050.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 03:51:02 pm »

And 40d mostly only does that because of the megabeast percentage. Toughen the megabeasts up a bit and generation will run a lot longer (but you might end up with some extinct civs if you boost the megabeasts -too- much.)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 05:12:11 pm »

As far as I remember, 2d everything was a lot harder. Certainly fortress mode, I recently played a 2d fortress.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 01:50:12 am »

Yeah, you had to know how to use aqueducts and channels (man there were aqueducts) to have a possibility to farm. and hunting was WAY much harder. You had to struggle to get food, at least in first years. In 40d I just designate a farm in any soil layer, select "plump helmets" and forget about any food problem forever.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬