B) Kill him
- 1 (1.6%)
C) Make him Captain of the Guard
- 35 (55.6%)
D) option B, but kill him by magma-drowning the entire map "just to be sure"
- 17 (27%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Horribly Overpowered  (Read 1786 times)

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Horribly Overpowered
« on: November 08, 2009, 06:59:22 pm »

Out of boredom I decided to add in this
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_NO_KILL_LIKE_OVERKILL]
[NAME:ultima runespear:ultima runespears]
[DAMAGE:1800:COLD]
[WEIGHT:380]
[SKILL:SPEAR]
[CRIT_BOOST:25]
[TWO_HANDED:50]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:4]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:150]

Essentially, It would take 50 bars of metal to make, but would kill just about anything it hit.
I decided the most fun way to use this was to only give it to kobolds, and take away all of their other weapons (save for bows), which should thereby result in them having only spearbolds, bowbolds and wrestlers, correct?
This shold therefore make them almost omnipowerful in ambushes, which is the Fun part.

What I didn't account for was that in my latest fort a dwarf made an artifact one of these, which was promptly picked up my a champion without me noticing.
The sparring injuries were horrifying hilarious and awesome.

Should I leave him with the spear, which (combined with a few years of training) has made him into the embodiment of a Vengeful God, or should I find some way to kill him and lock the spear away to stop any further mishaps?
or option C, should I make him the captain of the guard...

EDIT: A poll may be needed...how do I set up one? Although option C seems quite likely to be a landslide winner.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:07:52 pm by NewoTigra »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Horribly Overpowered
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 07:21:13 pm »

Option C!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Cyborgman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 07:25:19 pm »

Option C!!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 07:32:19 pm »

Or place him on duty so he stops sparrying.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 10:27:35 pm »

Put your former prisoners/disliked dwarves in a 'penal squad'. All they have are poor quality spears, and they are let out into the free world if they can survive training with him.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 03:06:23 pm »

Maybe you could make an arena and give him a constant supply of enemies? Might have to declare war on the elves and humans to get sufficient attractions for him to fight. Or even better: make a horrible underground labyrinth for him to roam, with enemies hurled into it,  or your own unpopular dwarves, like Shad-o said.
You could have loads of bridges over rivers of lava, and giant Adamantine portillicuses separating your fortress from The Horror Below. It's just a shame you can't keep him beserked forever :(

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 03:17:28 pm »

You should keep him on duty, stationed in the middle of the fort.

He should be the last line of defense.  After you've sent out the civilians (save the bare minimum to keep the soldier alive).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 12:48:43 pm »

If I used Dwarf Companion to give him the 'invader 1' tag, that would make him permanently aggressive, but I don't know if it would make him act like a siege and leave the map after a few months.

in accordance with the polls, I made a copy of the save and set him as my fortress guard.
It turns out they either beat criminals with their bare hands or with a weapon, not sure how they choose. Also, if they kill someone, it counts as a murder. So the rest of the Fortress Guard starting trying to catch him. It was hilarious and awesome and my fort died 6 minutes later.
Most of the fortress guard were his friends, and he managed to kill enough of them to start tantrumming. Then he went berzerk.

A +perfectly agile dwarf that kills everything he touches and can break down locked doors is somewhat unstoppable.

For the original save the labyrinth idea sounds good, make it a huge underground maze spanning almost the entire z-level with various captured beasties scattered randomly throughout?
Should I drop a farmer down there with him or just drop food into a huge shaft in the middle into a food / booze stockpile for him?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 12:52:22 pm by NewoTigra »

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 02:32:31 pm »

"Sir, I must arrest you for the murder of Urist!"
"You'll never take me alive!" *SKEWER*
"...no, Urist II! What have I done?!"
"Sir, I must arrest you for the murder of Urist II!"
"You'll never take me alive!" etc.

The idea of a dwarf tantrumming because he killed all of his friends in self-defense is hilarious.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 03:11:41 pm »

The idea of a dwarf tantrumming because he killed all of his friends in self-defense is hilarious.

Wow... it's like Battle Royale all over again...
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 04:50:49 pm »

For the original save the labyrinth idea sounds good, make it a huge underground maze spanning almost the entire z-level with various captured beasties scattered randomly throughout?
Should I drop a farmer down there with him or just drop food into a huge shaft in the middle into a food / booze stockpile for him?

Definately the shaft. Or an airlock type setup.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 06:17:03 pm »

Or set up a teleportation hatch and teleport animals there so he could butcher and eat them.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 06:39:28 pm »

Or set up a teleportation hatch and teleport animals there so he could butcher and eat them.
He can't do civilian jobs like butchering if he's a champion.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 07:13:09 pm »

Damn, haven't thought about it. Too late (early?) here :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 07:31:32 pm »

Teleportation hatch? Like when you catapult the animals with a drawbridge?
Pages: [1] 2