Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you be interested in different breeds of Sukusuku Hakutakus? (please reffer to post #330 [AKA page 23])

Yes, give us more animals!
- 23 (92%)
No, I rather take it easy!
- 2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33

Author Topic: Suika Fortress V0.7.5 - Back, but also not quite  (Read 129076 times)

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ult1mara's Let's Plays and reviews
Re: Suika Fortress UPDATED- V0.6.9 or V6.9 Now with Touhou Night Creatures!
« Reply #180 on: April 27, 2011, 06:52:24 am »

Hi I was wondering if u would allow me to do an LP/First Look review on this Mod?

The LP will be an entire series, not just one episode. And the First look review will be the first ep of that LP series

Thank You

Ult1mara
The local scottish drunken dwarf
Dwarf Fortress Mod Reviews
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84405.0

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile

Think I got most of them here. Removed all the materials that the standart material tag allready put in, cleaned up some needless name tags, fixed the poison thing and also found your condensing heart problem. It wasnt missing the tissue (the tag was just in realy weird place for me) but the tissue had a GAS material state and a liquid material.

Heres some raws. For some reason they dont show up messed up on the forums, I guess Windows is just stupid. Well no news there...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This has helped me so much I really have to thank you for it. I have ensured to give you credit in the upcoming update. By solving Medicene's gland problem, you solved Rumia's and every other yukkuri that secrets gas as well.

Anyway, 0.6.91 is up!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1601

It's mainly a bug fix so here's the info.

V0.6.91 or V6.91 Got some help with Medicene's skin splatter issue and now the problem is solved and made some tweaks with the wromy tendons, eyeball grass and bubble grass (could still use some work though). Also got all the condensing gland bugs fixed in the process. Thanks for your help Grimlocke!

For those be began to play, you can simply take raws and move them into your region since it's not a big edit that affect overall gameplay.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi I was wondering if u would allow me to do an LP/First Look review on this Mod?

The LP will be an entire series, not just one episode. And the First look review will be the first ep of that LP series

Thank You

Ult1mara

Wow, someone wants to do a LP /first view of my mod? I'm actually very impressed to hear this. ^^ By all means, please feel free to review this or do an LP.

All I simply ask is that you have some good knowledge of Touhou itself to know where the mod came from. And perhaps if you want to, I can give you some history behind how this project got started and how it got to where it is and it's future ect. Just let me know when you want me to give you the indepth story.

But yes, feel free to do a video of it I won't mind one bit. : )

To be fair, I realize I haven't brought this up to anyone, but I have noticed that for the past year Suika Fortress has gotten some attention in some parts of the web. Mainly in small forums (other than MotK, where the project began), and strangely enough appeared on /v/, /tg/ and /jp/ at least once or twice from what I recall.

I've sort of stayed quite and watched, but I am aware that Suika Fortress is getting attention somewhere out there. And I will still continue to work on this and get things put together as long as ZUN keeps producing Touhou and Toady keeps updating DF.

Edit: Also forgot...
Zombies produce miasma thanks to the fact that they have necrotic flesh.  Maybe you can make your creatures produce miasma by somehow making them inject themselves with a syndrome that only they are vulnerable to that causes necrosis in some small, superficial part you construct?  If that part regenerates and goes necrotic constantly, it should continue spewing out normal miasma, like an undead does.

You know, that's not a bad idea at all! I think the idea can be easily achived as well. I will have to look into it, but I think it's very possible when you bring it up that way! I'll need some time, but at least I could make a Yoshika yukkuri with that said feature. :3

Also now that I confirmed that Catacombs will exsit sometime in the caravan arc, I can probably consider Miyako Yoshika being put in the game. But I'll have to wait till Toady impliments them to ensure she will be placed in there.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:58:03 am by Totaku »

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Em I do not know anything of the Touhou thing. I think I shall research it up.

^_^ I was just wanting to actually do a review on wat the mod is like etc. And yes an In depth history and wat not would be great on the mod

Thanks

Ult1mara

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Em I do not know anything of the Touhou thing. I think I shall research it up.

^_^ I was just wanting to actually do a review on wat the mod is like etc. And yes an In depth history and wat not would be great on the mod

Thanks

Ult1mara

Hahaha well looks like it's time for me to introduce you to one of the biggest known Japanese doujin game series in Japan.

The very reason I want you to get the idea of what Touhou is, is because you need to have a strong understanding behind the concept of this mod. Otherwise, it probably wouldn't look much different Mike Mayday's DF mod. (which is where the mod orginated from, since it uses some of the same art and stuff from it.)

Anyways, let me give you a few links to start looking around into the world that is Touhou and give you a quick intro to it:
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Touhou_Wiki - The Offical Touhou Wiki
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Touhou Touhou on TV tropes, with some info on charaters, games and plenty of crossovers (including mine is mentioned there)

Brief Summary: Touhou is a doujin game series that is made by a single man known as "ZUN". The game series orgially started back in
1997 when he created High Responsive to Prayer, in which introduced us to Reimu Hakurei. The first game was pretty much an Arkanoid clone with some intense bullet action around boss battles. After that game, ZUN would start turning the Touhou games into more of a overhead vertical shooter series which would pretty make the series what it is today. Course man people reffer to it as a "Curtain Shooter" (or Bullet Hell) because of the large amount of bullets you have to dodge while fighting off eneimes and bosses.

The first 5 games were released on the PC-98. And then after that, ZUN moved to the PC and start remaking Touhou on that system. This is when he took the main charaters from the PC-98 (Reimu and Marisa) and remade them along with Gensokyo in general (though he says that this is the same Gensokyo)

The first PC game was Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil: The 6th game in the Touhou series. And with every year, ZUN would keep release a game that would continue to introduce the world of Touhou to the players as well as new engines, concept, and charaters that would shape the world to it's fans and release tons of doujin in the process.

Overall, ZUN has released nearly 20 games in the series (The 13th offical game in the seires: Ten Desires will be the 20th when it's released later this year). 13 of them which different games that introduce us to new characters and continue to show the world of Gensokyo to the people. Which were almost all curtain shooters.

While the remaining 7 were side story that mainly just took place between the offical games that ZUN lend a hand in making. They were either fighting games, or gimmick based games like Shoot the bullet. (Think Pokemon Snap, but while dodging bullets)

Course ZUN also did some other side stories in the form of manga and novels. Which introduced even more stories and charaters to the series.

About the World of Touhou: Touhou takes place in a mythical land known as Gensokyo. A land that is supposedly located somewhere in Japan and is hidden away from the Outside World back several centeries ago to remain hidden from being exposed to the ever growing development of technology.

Inside the world of Gensokyo, magic exsist as well as many mythical creatures from fantasy and Japanese fokelore such as youkai, Kappas, Tengu, faries, ect. Because of the fact Gensokyo is hidden away from the outside world, everything in there is still as if it within 19th Century Japan over there. Course even barrier aren't always perfer, as some things do come in. And at times incidents occur, which is when the Shrine Maiden, Reimu Hakurei comes into to action along with the Magician Marisa Kirisame as they are the two the mainly get invovled the most to try to investigate the cause of the incidents and resolve them.

There are way too many to talk about here which is why I'm giving you the wiki and tvtropes to look over. If you do become more interested I can give you some other stuff to look over. Doujins, artsite, ect. It shows a great deal behind what Touhou has become.

What about Suika since she's part of this DF mod?
Well that's part's easy to explain.  In the game Immateral and Missing Power (Touhou 7.5) we get introduced to an oni named Suika Ibuki (Who's the final boss in that game). She's this little drunk oni who is known for her power to manipulate density. She uses it to make the people of Gensokyo gather and party non-stop (she was trying to get oni to come back from the underground since they went into hiding down there). But her density control doesn't just work on events and peole, but also the mass of thing. Including herself. As she can make herself gigantic in size. Or as in other cases pluck out some hair and make tiny duplicates of herself.

Because of the fact she makes tiny copies of herself that how I got the idea behind this game. Cause I wanted to use a Tohuou charaters in large numbers, lives underground (Onis do that in the touhou series from what I gathered) and need beer to get through the working day(which she always loves to drink and also throw lots of parties. :D) Thus she was perfect candidate to replace the Dwarf. :P

And as the fanbase says: If there's a game out there, Touhou will parody it one way or another. :P

But yeah this is just the tip of the iceburg here. I you should try to look through the Touhou Wiki and Tvtropes, heck, go play a game, get the feel of it if you like. ^^ (or youtube up gameplay footage)

I will send you a PM later with my history behind the mod and how everything came up to where it is today.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:42:17 am by Totaku »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

If you're going to talk about Touhou, shouldn't you include some videos of the game itself? :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91sLZL1wBQE

I love this one, if only because I think Ustuho was an awesome final boss, especially with Reichi no Taiyou Shinkou ~ Nuclear Fusion going on in the background. 

The final spell card there really gives a good impression of the trick to playing Touhou, though.  You can't watch individual bullets, you have to watch patterns of bullets.  Multiple patterns of bullets moving in different directions at the same time.  It's mostly a game of teaching yourself how to concentrate on nothing in particular and everything around you at the same time.

And as the fanbase says: If there's a game out there, Touhou will parody it one way or another. :P

Yeah, I found a Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI portrait editor, and made myself a "Romance of the Scarlet Kingdom" mod.  Did you know a 500-year-old vampire girl caused the fall of the Han Empire with a little help from her friends, servants, and a psychotic little sister?

There are also outright doujin-doujin games, like Labyrinth of Touhou, which is actually pretty unique and fun, if a bit on the grindy side, especially late in the game. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you're going to talk about Touhou, shouldn't you include some videos of the game itself? :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91sLZL1wBQE

I love this one, if only because I think Ustuho was an awesome final boss, especially with Reichi no Taiyou Shinkou ~ Nuclear Fusion going on in the background. 

The final spell card there really gives a good impression of the trick to playing Touhou, though.  You can't watch individual bullets, you have to watch patterns of bullets.  Multiple patterns of bullets moving in different directions at the same time.  It's mostly a game of teaching yourself how to concentrate on nothing in particular and everything around you at the same time.

Yeah I should have, I just been too busy typing up a PM to Ult1mara about my background histroy to Suika Fortress which is rather big. XD

But yes, that's video is a very good example of what the games of Touhou are like.

Heck, I should of refference this into the PM when talking about why I'm not including certain Touhous in my DF mod....yet.

Cause I'm waiting for the day I can bring Utusho into the game make her fling gigantic suns at your fortress, nuking it to the ground. XD

And make Marisa launch a master spark that plows through fortress walls.

or make Yukari Spontaniously gap into your fort, or your adventure and then gap them to some random place in the world.

It's reasons like this I'm willing to wait years for magic to be placed into Dwarf Fortress just to put certain charaters in. (And it also depends on how complicate toady will make magic too.)

Course this could also be wishful thinking on my part. But as long as I can work out something they'll eventually be put in....one way or another.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 01:34:51 pm by Totaku »

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile

He forgot to mention that the StB-style games are the best ones in the series.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile

Some of my favorites include the touhou fighters, Super Marissa World, and of course Touhouvania.

Edit: There is also I Want to be the Shrine Maiden. If you've ever seen the lets plays of I Want to be the Guy, you can probably figure out how fun that one is.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 03:28:33 pm by Patchy »

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OMFG this game looooooks SOOOO confusing :P I think I played it a long time ago and gave up because I was pretty young at the time :P.

Have u ever asked other modders if they know if there is a way to add in certain magics and other things that u may need?

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OMFG this game looooooks SOOOO confusing :P I think I played it a long time ago and gave up because I was pretty young at the time :P.

Have u ever asked other modders if they know if there is a way to add in certain magics and other things that u may need?

Are you reffering to Suika Fortress? Touhou in general or both? Cause I could imagine it being a little confusing. :P

I suppose though that if you didn't understand what each yukkuri does, I could give you a little bit of help in explaining to you some things about it. :3

But as a good valuable hint: Check the raws: Most of the animals I replaced with yukkuri still have their original ID names on them. For example: Chenkkuris are cats. :P

Now you know how to save yourself from a Chenplosion. XD

Also I've researched, talk to certain people, and looked at other games to search up what creatures could do. But to be honest there may be some people I missed. So I could ask around. But chance are if there is any "magic" from what I seen that's avalaible, it's either in the form of secretion, breath attacks or injection via close range. Which is sort of limited of what I want to do in the long run.

What I'm looking for is giants lasers and giant fireballs. Launching lots and lots of bullets on the screen all at once from a single creature. In lovely formation like in the video NW_Kohaku posted. :P

But like I said, this could be wishful thinking. But we'll see.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:40:09 pm by Totaku »

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was actually talked about Touhou :P

And I think launching lots of fireballs etc may be a tad excessive. However if u turn ON temperature and give creatures fireball, all of that type of creature. They could burn down an entire map in a few minutes

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was actually talked about Touhou :P

And I think launching lots of fireballs etc may be a tad excessive. However if u turn ON temperature and give creatures fireball, all of that type of creature. They could burn down an entire map in a few minutes

Ah ok well yeah, that's the other thing. Giving them all fireballs would be a chaotic due to how it ignites things and stuff. And since danmaku's suppose to be a bit safer (otherwise Gensokyo would of been burnt down ages ago. :P) Which is why part of the idea about danmaku is being able to make fireballs that don't ignite things.

Course that doesn't mean I don't have some creatures that possess a threat with fire and burning your forest. It's just a matter of where you embark and all that. Cause after all DF is barbaric, Touhou usually handle's it's conflict with colorful bullets. :P Even though they are different, I still want to see how much I can make this mod into something like Gensokyo. Course seeing a Suika die is really nothing after all: They're just tiny duplicates of the original Suika Ibuki. :P

But yeah, I don't want to burn a forest down, just make colorful formation spells that can make all sort of different bullets that most of the main charaters use. Or at the very least, a spell that represents the charater I want it to.

But that doesn't mean I haven't made some simple danmaku type stuff. For example: Fairies in Touhou shoot pretty simple bullets most of the time (except after level 3) but they're still cannon fodder anyways. So in my game I have faires that shoot sunflower seeds and launch snowballs (hard ones apperently) at you. Which I guess is ok for them since they're suppose to be just weak characters. Course desert fairies launch fireballs they're one of the few exceptions. :P But it still doesn't mean they're all that tough.

And making bullet excessive: Well that's true, I don't want to whole map to be covered in bullets. It would be too nasty. Who knows how much it would affect the FPS as well. So most likely I may go with something simplified when the time comes for it. But yeah, that's the kind of stuff I think about constantly as I continue working on the this Touhou mod here. So there's alot I have to think and plan out cause I want everything to fit in the best way possible. But only time can tell....
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:12:51 pm by Totaku »

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, looks likes I need to get back on the ball.

If Toady's recent announcement is anything clear... It sounds like the new version of DF could be coming out sooner or later.

Since it sounds like there will be all sorts of fasinating changes. What I'm really hoping for out of this upcoming release is a tag to allow me to put Miyako in the Catacombs. If that happens, then Miyako is pretty much gonna be allowed to appear in the mod. I would do the same for Kogasa, but well.... I think everyone knows by now, I'm going to sit and wait to see if Toady's going to make night creatures be able to feed off emotions before I consider adding her. :P

My goal was to try to get everything out before the next big release... but I don't know what all will be possible at this rate. All I can do is sit down and work on it and see what I can get done. I'll probably work on the some yukkuris tonight. I got some ideas that I took time to look over that I think I can apply into some of these yukkuri I have planned up.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 08:03:19 pm by Totaku »

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here is the first video for my LP of this mod

Hope u like it and please tell me if u think anything is wrong :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLVVcMOTQJQ

and here is the playlist the LP will be on

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=DE5D712C11CB5BD9
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 09:23:33 pm by Ult1mara »