Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you be interested in different breeds of Sukusuku Hakutakus? (please reffer to post #330 [AKA page 23])

Yes, give us more animals!
- 23 (92%)
No, I rather take it easy!
- 2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33

Author Topic: Suika Fortress V0.7.5 - Back, but also not quite  (Read 128957 times)

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: Suika Fortress UPDATED- V0.6.2 or V6.2 A mod fit for Touhou fans
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2010, 09:45:56 pm »

Hahahaha, yeah I guess in a way this would be quite addicting. XD Anyways.... Earth spiders? Mmmm, I personally prefer cave spiders, but if we really wanted them to be more related to the subterranian world which would make sense considering the world of Touhou... how about....subterrainian spiders, or underground spiders? I'll consider those ideas as well as earth spiders... but I'll need time to think about the name....
I'm just imagining a bunch of little Yamames running around poisoning diseasing your Dwarves Suikas when you try to get the webs.
I actually kind of wish I could be more useful with something like this, but I still haven't mastered the previous version of DF, and figure I'd be near-useless in trying to work out specifics in modding. If it's alright with you, though, I certainly don't mind chucking out little ideas like those.
...Though, mostly, my ideas center around "This creature is like this Touhou character".
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2010, 06:04:41 am »

As I said before, I don't mind, the more these ideas are chucked around. The more I can consider possibilities for them.

Anyways, as for right now, I've been busy trying out various method with the kappas in the older version (0.31.08). I'll be mainly doing this till I know everything is going to be concrete before I transfer to .10. But mainly I've been working on what the kappas would be living in....

Since they are sort of a technological group I went a tried some settings. A tree city didn't do much for me since they pretty much just lived in the wilderness. Seemed a little low tech. If I set them in a city setting they would bond with humans and we can't do that so it left me with the dark fortress tower setting.

Seems a bit odd, but maybe it might work since kappas are pretty tech savvy....perhaps they're developing apartment?

And thankfully the tags allow it so no demons specificly take refuge in their homes as far as I seen like they do in biokkuri towers. And they still construct roads, walls and bridges as they expand. So at least from the basics test they work fine!

I also find it ammusing how in the world gen that out of all the human villages only 5 or 6 kappa move into a human village. And kappas apperently multiply like bunny rabbits! I had one insane case where there was tons of them in one spot! so many Ks it was insane.

Anyways, I'm currently putting together some kappa sprites for sprite testing....

But like I said before, I'm still trying to decide... I was considering the old mythical kappa since it's a generalization of kappas. But then I got split between deciding if I should just use the sprite of the bald kappa. Or something more interesting like this kappa with this Nitori like cap. ^^

Spoiler: Kappa sprites (click to show/hide)
I'd like to make sure they still have thier industrious personality thus why I gave them the cap, but I 'll let you guys decide which way I should go.

And finally on an unrelated note, I have spotted that my game has made mention in other places. Mainly on a certain image board. :P They mostly poked at the fact I used yukkuri and not actual Touhous. But that doesn't bother me, cause as I have state before.... in the long run.....when Toady starts to include new things in DF I may actually consider adding new actual Touhou charaters. But I will not make them by any means easy when this comes into play.

And when may I consider throwing in actual Touhou charaters? Well do you all know of the "Creatures of the Night"? Well if that plays out the way it should.... and we're allow to mod in our own creatures of the night.... I can place in about 5 or 6 charaters just from that alone. But this is still in the distant future. I'm certain you'll only encounter one of these "creatures" at a time so if it can be set that way, then yeah this would be a good shot at adding in some actual Touhou youkai. :P

Course it's most important to know that it'll most like be when artifical magic is added (likely 4-5 years down the road) when I can really consider having this take off. And of course as ZUN makes more Touhou charaters, I will always put a yukkuri and consider the possibility for a Touhou charater.

Anyways feedback is appriciated as usual.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 06:06:53 am by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2010, 06:11:41 am »

As much as I like the bald version, the cap will be very useful in making the kappa more visible when they're on a background of grass. Keep the Nitori cap.

Yes, actual Touhou characters need to be legendary megabeasts in power level. Just compare how much damage a mini-Suika does in IaMP/SWR against opponents. I'm fairly certain we can mod in our own megabeasts to rampage alongside dragons and hydras but there's no need to rush to bring in actual Youkai.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2010, 04:54:29 pm »

Alright guys, I have gone through  and made what I think are all the possible kappa sprites that the kappas will use. It's pretty much consist of occupations, soldier postiions and special positions.  I went through and did a simple test the the process....

From the looks of it, it works pretty good.

They all seem to be in place. With this problem out of the way, I'm on my way to transfering the sprites and everything to 0.31.10 or .11 (which ever gets done first. From there I should begin to balance things out and then I can decide if I should include the special metal...

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2010, 07:31:41 am »

Ok I finally finished the Fortress mode observation of kappas. So now I'm anywhere between 50-75% done now.

Pretty much I went through and played Fortress mode all the way to winter and then eventually the kappas appeared and brought thier goods to the depot....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And when I went to trade with them I got to see that they carry all the types of goods I expected them to carry all the way to the right types of metal...

Now all that remains as of this point is to readjust the kappa's arrival time, renaming a few things, and then following this deciding on how and if I should include the addtional metals and make them only accessable to the kappa, that is if that is even possible....

More of less I should have the new mod ready within a few days at the longest. Hopefully before 0.31.11's release.

Edit: I've decided I'm going to take an attempt to make an kappa only product based on Psieye's concept called "Shell Iron". More or less shells incased in iron. I'm not sure how successful it'll be but if it works properly it should be only avalaible for the Kappa to use....otherwise well I can't exactly allow the reaction in the game since the Suikas shouldn't be capable of making this kind of product. We'll see how this goes...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 08:16:24 am by Totaku »

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2010, 03:17:14 pm »

After some testing with shell iron I was able to confirm a few things.

1. I was able to make it avalaible to trade only with the kappa.

2. I managed to make it a bit stronger than iron

But I ran into one serious problem....

It can still be smelted by the Suikas in Fortress mode. And because of the type of material it is made of it seems a bit too easy.... so I'm going drop the shell iron for now till I can get some time to look into the problem.

What would really help is if any of you who have done this kind of method know of a way to prevent it from being smelted accessable in fortress mode. Cause if you can that is fine....

Course my other option will be to find a different more complex method to make shell iron that'll make it more worth while. Then I'll approve of it for Fortress Mode use.

So for right now I'm taking what I've put together and archiving it for later use....

And I will be doing some small sprite tweaking now, which should be done shortly then I should have Suika Fortress 0.6.5 out.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2010, 03:27:36 pm »

Wait, so the shell is actually made of metal, and is meltable, or is there actually an ore that can make shell iron? Are you trying to prevent the Suika from using it as a weapon and such?

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2010, 04:15:54 pm »

Wait, so the shell is actually made of metal, and is meltable, or is there actually an ore that can make shell iron? Are you trying to prevent the Suika from using it as a weapon and such?

Not quite, it's basiclly a normal shell, a bar of iron, and a flux stone to get this reaction. And in the end it produces a bar of shell iron... But the method seems a little simple too simple. I think it needs another step to this to make the production worth it's time.

Tell you what I'll put down the codes I put together for this item. Form there you can perhaps help me decide if there's a direction I can go with this. Cause I feel what should be done is that the shell should take another step before it can be made into the item needed for shell iron.

So here you go:

First, the inorganic metal....
And then the reaction process I developed for it.

While this seems ok, I feel this could be done a bit more like say.... take a shell smelt it with something.....make a metal type shell, then take that shell metal smelt it with your iron  amd flux stone, and then.....shell iron!

And no, that's not the plan, the idea was to originally make it so the Suikas could only buy or trade for shell iron product. Kappas don't sell out their secrets that easily you know.... But by simply making a smelting reaction, it's automaticlly placed in the smelter regardless of if your permitted it or not.

So the only choice I have now will be to drop it for now and modify it when I can think of something more complicated....Course like I said before, I'm always open for ideas and suggestions. So feel free to give me some.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2010, 04:20:55 pm »

I don't know if Suika are okay with butchering invaders, so perhaps having kappa drop an item on death, like "kappa's blueprints" would force Suika to have to actively engage in war with kappa to make it by themselves. If you don't want them dropping everywhere, you can make blueprint-bearing kappa a caste that only makes up a small portion of the population, so you can have both kappa bodies laying everywhere in war, and the occasional blueprint as the spoils.

I imagine the main problem with that is getting kappa to actually make it by themselves to bring to trade though...

Alternatively, wouldn't removing the reaction of the Suika's entity files prevent them from being able to smelt it?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 04:31:26 pm by Patchouli »

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suika Fortress UPDATED- V0.6.5 or V6.5 A mod fit for Touhou fans
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2010, 05:22:28 pm »

I don't know if Suika are okay with butchering invaders, so perhaps having kappa drop an item on death, like "kappa's blueprints" would force Suika to have to actively engage in war with kappa to make it by themselves. If you don't want them dropping everywhere, you can make blueprint-bearing kappa a caste that only makes up a small portion of the population, so you can have both kappa bodies laying everywhere in war, and the occasional blueprint as the spoils.

I imagine the main problem with that is getting kappa to actually make it by themselves to bring to trade though...

Alternatively, wouldn't removing the reaction of the Suika's entity files prevent them from being able to smelt it?
Your first idea seems to fit closer to what I'm thinking...though I'm still concerned if that's over the top. But it might fit.....I'll have to think about it for a bit. Purposely starting a war just to make shell iron....amusing....

I'll have to see if I can make ratio population play this way....

Though they do seem to trade the good when they come at times so it's sort of normal....

And as I said before, removing the reaction from the Suikas entity only prevents them from trading it. The fortress can still use the smelter.

Anyways I went through and put everything I put together up to this point (excluding shell iron) into the next mod update. 

So you can find the next Suika Fortress update in the usual spot.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1601

And as I said there:
0.6.5 or V6.5: New race has been included, the kappa race! A tech focused race that put all thier focus into technology, but they also seem to be pretty secretive too. Mainly behave like a mix of all different races, but tend to have some good euqipment that's pretty much around Suika quality. Also made kappa sprites that are ready for use. Also put an alternet version of the classic mayday sprites set that'll allow colored back grounds.

Also I've included a sprite that may be Nitori....maybe not, you be the judge... and Akyu has been moved to human diplomat position.

Anyways, as usually any ideas, feedback and comments are always good. So feel free to let me know.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2010, 12:33:01 am »

And as I said before, removing the reaction from the Suikas entity only prevents them from trading it. The fortress can still use the smelter.
Why is the reaction tied to the smelter? Make a custom building, assign the reaction to that building, don't let suikas build that building. Kappa using smelters defeats the whole point of this custom metal because the logic went "they can't use high temperature industry as they're innately water creatures".
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2010, 09:44:24 am »

Why is the reaction tied to the smelter? Make a custom building, assign the reaction to that building, don't let suikas build that building. Kappa using smelters defeats the whole point of this custom metal because the logic went "they can't use high temperature industry as they're innately water creatures".

Well that's something I tend to have forgotten. I never did get into custom buildings yet especially since they are still bugged (since you can't make soap from the shop itself, you have all via manager). But I get your point.

After a few days of trail and error. I have managed to successfully included Iron Shells into the game, and made it so Suikas can't make them!!! All by not permitting the iron shell shop, and making sure the worker wasn't a smelter. So now the product shouldn't be possible to make at all.

The only way one can get shell iron is via trade with the kappa now. So now this pretty much finishes up everything for this update.

As usual update can be found here.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1601

And as usual, I'm always looking for more ideas and suggestions.

Otherwise I'll likely be waiting till either ZUN relelase another Touhou game, or until Toady finally introduces creatures of the night before I consider my next course of action.

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2010, 06:13:29 am »

Otherwise I'll likely be waiting till either ZUN relelase another Touhou game, or until Toady finally introduces creatures of the night before I consider my next course of action.

As a minor sidenote: Touhou 12.8, Great Fairy War, with Cirno in the main role, is going to be released on August 14th on Comiket.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2010, 06:16:12 am »

As a minor sidenote: Touhou 12.8, Great Fairy War, with Cirno in the main role, is going to be released on August 14th on Comiket.
I love the three fairies, it makes me happy to see them doing more shenanigans.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2010, 07:17:29 am »

Hahahaha yes I learned of that game's release not too long ago, so I'm quite excited about it's release. Course I've already included Cirno, and the three faires in this.

But that's not all that ZUN has revealed.

I wonder if any of you have read the comics ZUN put together with certain artists.

Like Silent sinner in Blue...

Well ZUN has revealed another comic that was published yesterday in Japan.
It's called "Wild and Horned Hermit" From what I got, it introduces a new charater in the world of Touhou named Kasen Ibara. A Hermit who's looking for the "Arm of the Kappa". For whatever her reason it is unknown. But otherwise her title is "The one armed, horned hermit". Despite having two arms, one of them is clearly wrapped in ribbons.

This actually brings up an interesting question....

Watatsuki Sisters, Toyohime and Yorihime, and thier new rabbit, Reisen (2.0)

I'm wandering if I should consider making yukkuri versions of them? As far as I know they is no record in fan art or information about them which makes me believe they simply don't exsist. Besides, they live on the moon, so they I would assume they wouldn't even exist.

Should I consider making yukkuri of these charaters?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33