Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you be interested in different breeds of Sukusuku Hakutakus? (please reffer to post #330 [AKA page 23])

Yes, give us more animals!
- 23 (92%)
No, I rather take it easy!
- 2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33

Author Topic: Suika Fortress V0.7.5 - Back, but also not quite  (Read 128945 times)

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
Re: Suika Fortress UPDATED- V0.6.1 or V6.1 A mod fit for Touhou fans
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2010, 05:42:06 pm »

Ohhh, you've added a lot of instruments and other items. The cooked meals... makes me want to play Elona again for the crazy cuisine I could make in that game (while it lacks the sheer illogic of DF, it made up for it with variety).

Btw Totaku, have you implemented a Chinakkuri or Tenshikkuri yet? Discussions over at this thread have made me think of tank-class creatures (yukkuri) who are as tough as armoured foes and their bones/leather provide excellent (Bronze or Steel class) protection.

Well, I actually made the yukkuri to nearly every type of Touhou charater in this game thus far. So yes, Tenshi and Meiling exsist (as a mudman and Minotuar no less) As much as I'm interested in this idea I still need to think that one over. Mainly because I'm still waiting for the damage mechanics to be sorted out by Toady.

Some of the things I've done so far were altered by damage mechanics. So when those things get fixed I'll be likely to have to do a serious make over depending on how much has changed (since I belive the templates will be affected on this).

Anyways, I'm going to go ahead and put up this update:

Suika Fortress 0.6.1
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1601

V0.6.1 or V6.1: Added in a couple of interesting elements into the game after a suggestion was given by Psieye. You now can plant cucumbers, rice, make more japanese themed toys, insterments, and foods! And also I've altered a few yukkuri species and gave them shells to the Nitoris and the Satori yukkuris since it seemed to make sense. I've also replaced and added in some sprites for some items that were recently added. This also includes a traction bench sprite. And before I forget I've also changed the kobold race (formerly Momizis) into Daiyousei yukkuris. And now Momizi yukkuri replace the wolf.

Finally I decided to upload the full game to make life easier for everyone.

So go ahead and try it out! And of course credit goes to Psieye for these new additional ideas.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suika Fortress UPDATED- V0.6.2 or V6.2 A mod fit for Touhou fans
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2010, 09:54:48 pm »

Here's another small update!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1601

Basiclly now you'll be able to have Japanese themed weapons in your game now. Mainly effects swords, spears, maces, and training weapons. Plus it's now updated to 0.31.08.

If there are any other suggestions, as always, I'm open...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 09:57:00 pm by Totaku »

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2010, 01:22:43 am »

Ok gang, I've decided to start on another project for Suika Fortress. This one's going to be rather different. Cause after some talking with some people that have been following this thread. I'm going to attempt to put a Kappa race together in addition to the other known races that exsist as of this point.

The kappa race will have of course kappa. :P Now I can't make them have innate swiming abilities thanks to thier bugs, but I know I can make them amphibious. That I think should work.

Now kappas will probably be tech inspired indiviuals that'll live in a setting simalar to what human towns are like. And they'll have pretty much all the know how humans have. But I also plan to try to make them avoid humans and Suikas at the most point (unless they gain thier trust or something)

It should be important to note that I'll likely have this ready around 0.9 on the most part and will be modifying them as adventure mode comes along. And especially once the seiges. (This was the big reason why I decided to accept the idea into this.)

It's hard to say how a kappa tribe would behave in general, but at least we know how they'll act to others. So I pretty much used that information to help mold thier entity position. Which I can give you a sneak peak at:
Spoiler: Kappa tribe's Entity (click to show/hide)
If there's any other idea you feel I need to change feel free to suggest them. I will note that I'll probably make them unavaliable for trading till you produce some decent stuff, the current settings are for testing only.

But overall, they should be like a mix of human with some elf and some goblin behaviors in them (minus seiging).

Hopefullly this will all work out. I still have to put together the creature itself, which most of the entry will be human anyways but I'll change a few things here and there.

Also for thier art, I'm considering basing them off of their orginal kappa selves based on the myth. But I'll probably give them Nitori caps for some flavor.

Anyways as usual your feedback will be appriciated for this!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2010, 02:20:09 am »

Looks like a nice mod so far. And Suika is fairly fitting for the dwarves. Though Cirno is too in a completely different way hehe. Can't count how many times I was wanting to change the dwarf sprites to Cirno cause they did something stupid. Anyways will be following this one.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2010, 05:17:04 am »

Hmm, so they have torture and dining on sapients in their society. Ok, the latter makes sense because they're Youkai and the former can be explained as shirikodama harvesting. It also makes sense that while they have technology, they don't have access to steel since it's unfitting for water-based Kappa to know high temperature industries that well in a setting where electricity doesn't exist. In fact, you may wish to consider disallowing all metal alloy technology for kappa and give them their own exclusive mythical metals instead: materials produced without high temperature but which no other race can reproduce to represent Kappa technology. These mythical metals can just copy existing metals and give them different names (and item value for trade). I've linked my "Spleensteel and Rhododendrium" idea thread before, the kappa metals can be a product of plants if you want to give flavour for where they come from.

Also, make hats and helmets uncommon and replace them with veils and face masks. Kappa are shy and the original had that water disc on their head (the bald spot) so their headgear should reflect this. They'd be a good source for the rarer clothing fashions. Good to see they're filling in the winter trade season.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2010, 05:38:38 pm »

So, between Touhou and Dorf Fortress, I go outside rarely enough as is. So, y'know, thanks for effectively imprisoning me inside.
On a different note, might I suggest "Cave Spider" gets replaced with "Earth Spider"?
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2010, 01:24:02 am »

Hmm, so they have torture and dining on sapients in their society. Ok, the latter makes sense because they're Youkai and the former can be explained as shirikodama harvesting. It also makes sense that while they have technology, they don't have access to steel since it's unfitting for water-based Kappa to know high temperature industries that well in a setting where electricity doesn't exist. In fact, you may wish to consider disallowing all metal alloy technology for kappa and give them their own exclusive mythical metals instead: materials produced without high temperature but which no other race can reproduce to represent Kappa technology. These mythical metals can just copy existing metals and give them different names (and item value for trade). I've linked my "Spleensteel and Rhododendrium" idea thread before, the kappa metals can be a product of plants if you want to give flavour for where they come from.

Also, make hats and helmets uncommon and replace them with veils and face masks. Kappa are shy and the original had that water disc on their head (the bald spot) so their headgear should reflect this. They'd be a good source for the rarer clothing fashions. Good to see they're filling in the winter trade season.

Yeah that was the whole point was after getting some feedback on what people thought about kappas and used that information and applied it here. Thus why I tried to reflect on thier ethics.

Now as for the metal issue you brought up.... now that does make alot of sense there is a bit of a problem with that....
You see according to what I've researched on the tags, there is a specific limit to what a charater can brings for trade...

Wood
River products
Ocean Products
indoor crops
outdoors crops
gems
clothing
woods weapons and armor
stone
Metal
misc. product

I can't exactly control what type of stuff they bring only their category. So this puts a bit of a bind on the situation... The only thing I can see that might be even possible is using evil wood or evil plants... But that too may require some research. Cause then it'll mean making a plant that can be converted into a product for producing a new possible metal. (sounds really weird and maybe too odd...)

So maybe I can try this, but I don't know if it'll work....

Also good call on the mask and veils. I deicided to give them face veil, scarves and masks.
So, between Touhou and Dorf Fortress, I go outside rarely enough as is. So, y'know, thanks for effectively imprisoning me inside.
On a different note, might I suggest "Cave Spider" gets replaced with "Earth Spider"?
Hahahaha, yeah I guess in a way this would be quite addicting. XD Anyways.... Earth spiders? Mmmm, I personally prefer cave spiders, but if we really wanted them to be more related to the subterranian world which would make sense considering the world of Touhou... how about....subterrainian spiders, or underground spiders? I'll consider those ideas as well as earth spiders... but I'll need time to think about the name....

In the mean time, I got the Kappa's main body features together. They're pretty simalar to a human in most ways, but they also have remarkable skills and talents and because of thier detication they're likely not to have skill rot (That is once Toady fixes the skill rot attribute issue). Otherwise, antisocial, and are pretty much mildly strong and agile, but weak in defences.

I've also gave them a beak and a shell. Course there's also the question of.... should I give them scales to replace thier skin? I'll let you guys make the call here.

Anyways, here's the current setup for the Kappa's features:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's all for now, I will be now conducting some tests to see how the kappa work out and fix whatever errors I find.

And as usual, if you all have any feedback, that will help me out quite alot.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 01:25:45 am by Totaku »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2010, 01:36:10 am »

Now as for the metal issue you brought up.... now that does make alot of sense there is a bit of a problem with that....
You see according to what I've researched on the tags, there is a specific limit to what a charater can brings for trade...

Wood
River products
Ocean Products
indoor crops
outdoors crops
gems
clothing
woods weapons and armor
stone
Metal
misc. product

I can't exactly control what type of stuff they bring only their category. So this puts a bit of a bind on the situation... The only thing I can see that might be even possible is using evil wood or evil plants... But that too may require some research. Cause then it'll mean making a plant that can be converted into a product for producing a new possible metal. (sounds really weird and maybe too odd...)

So maybe I can try this, but I don't know if it'll work....
Wait what's the problem? You want Kappa to only bring Kappa metals? You don't want them to bring raw iron and such? I don't understand what you mean by "they bring only their category".

Whatever the motivation, "making a plant that can be converted into a product for producing a new possible metal" is something I already tested: see Rhododendron and the reaction to make Rhododendrium. Specifically, you can just turn the harvested plant into the metal (soft wafer too if need be) without this intermediate product.
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2010, 01:58:30 am »

Unrelated: What the fuck did you derive the Yuka-yukkuri from? They're not hostile unless provoked, but they're frighteningly common (and building destroyers...), and from my experience in fortress mode (a dozen militiasuikas, nearly 5 whole minutes, 3 fatalities and four major injuries), and arena mode (they have fair odds of taking down iron-clad grand master swordsmen), they're the second toughest non-HFS enemy in the mod currently; second only to the Colossus Doll, which is invincible due to the bug.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2010, 01:59:46 am »

That sounds exactly like what a Kazami Yuka derived yukkuri should be like.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2010, 02:01:38 am »

That sounds exactly like what a Kazami Yuka derived yukkuri should be like.

But they travel in packs, and constantly make raids into my fort to knock down all of my furniture.  :(

...And if I try to stop them, they start tearing people limb from limb.

ED: Also, the one I managed to kill gave 200+ meat when butchered (and took a couple weeks, due to it instantly cluttering up the butchery, despite being the only thing inside).

ED2: I'm not complaining, nor do I want them changed, I'm just wondering what science has done.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 02:04:41 am by HailFire »
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2010, 02:04:08 am »

Hmm ok yeah, they should travel in pairs, not packs. Oh well, DF has little concept of balance with regards to "uh you weren't meant to meet this wildlife this early".

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2010, 02:34:57 am »

Hahaha sounds like a boat murdered type situation.

To be honest I wanted to have a creature that brought back the Elephants of the ol' days.

Though the Alice yukkuri was the one I was going after, but seeing that yukka yukkuris turned out to be just as destructive is awesome. (probably due to thier inability to feel pain)

And I will admit, I encountered them in a test run in my game and one of Suikas lost an arm from it right as she started to attack it! Poor little Suika....
I had to resort to traps to capture them. But perhaps you have a point on them coming in too large of a pack....

They right now come in packs from 1-6.

But after some testing I've done, I think it might be better for them to be in packs of 2-4 instead. I'll make sure to change them in the next update. But I think for the sake of it they should remain as dangerous as they are so we are reminded of how dangerous elephants use to be. :P Unless you all like them better this way. In terms of thier pack numbers. :P

And as for your question about the metals, I think I misread it partially. But I did give them access to steel due to the metal preference tag. I wanted them to be somewhat of a threat if one were provoke them into sieging. :P

Right now I'm still need to check back on some things cause it seems the Kappas aren't even coming into the world gen what so ever...

And finally I realize with the revised combat system coming in .09, I'm going to have to recheck everything in this game. Cause if it turns out what happen has taken place, the damage system will need some revising especially for certain yukkuris. I wouldn't want a yukka yukkuri to blow a suika into pieces in one hit now. Rip them to pieces yes, but not instantaneously be blown apart. :P This is only assuming the battle mechanics have changed that drastically.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 02:44:34 am by Totaku »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2010, 03:04:19 am »

And as for your question about the metals, I think I misread it partially. But I did give them access to steel due to the metal preference tag. I wanted them to be somewhat of a threat if one were provoke them into sieging. :P
Of course Kappa should have access to a metal that makes them a threat. It can even be the same as steel. Just that I'm proposing you make a duplicate of steel in the metal raws and call this new metal something suitable, maybe change its colour and make it more valueable than steel.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2010, 03:58:18 pm »

I figured out the problem... turns out the all kappas must start in a land area that's not a river or ocean before settling in such places.... sort of makes things a little odd, but I guess if it's a moist area or even a swamp, I'll let it slide.

After some testing, it seems Kappa civilizations behave in some ways like humans do, but they also try to stay away from other nations as much as possible. So I guess they're playing out correctly so far.

War wise at least in world gen they seem to handle them selves. They have like a 50/50 chance of winning or loosing wars. And seem to usually get killed by certain monsters. But some have turned out rather strong and kicked the arses of alot of yukkuri so things are looking good so far.

Otherwise they seem to expand pretty much like a human or elf depending on how much room they got as long as they don't get invovled.

Oh and I made sure they can live a long time (like 800 to 1000 years)

I should get to testing out how they will appear and behave ingame....

And now knowing the DF 31.09 is coming out soon... I need to get cracking double time! Cause I got to get the relay running over at MotK soon!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:06:14 pm by Totaku »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33