Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20

Author Topic: The Metal Thread  (Read 22753 times)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: The Metal Thread
« Reply #135 on: December 11, 2009, 10:26:46 am »

Black Metal, one assumes, is rage embodied.

It is. It is the condensed quintessence of it.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 11, 2009, 04:54:05 pm »

Forgive my curiosity: as a requirement to be labeled black metal, is it necessary for a song to actually have extremely angry lyrics? Or does it merely need to provoke a sense of rage and/or energy?

I don't delve into that side of the metal spectrum as often as I should.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 11, 2009, 05:01:43 pm »

It depends.  If you're one of those tr00 kvlt tards, yes.  The music has to be nihilistic and suicidally angry.  If you're a reasonable well-adjusted person, no.  That's like saying rap can only be about gangsta stuff.
Shoes...

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 13, 2009, 06:46:45 pm »

death metal is rage embodied, black metal is a satanic music that tries to be both tragic and deep, and scary and evil, booo, i'm soo satanic

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 13, 2009, 10:59:24 pm »

Been listening to Masterplan since it came up on pandora. They're pretty good.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 14, 2009, 09:51:53 am »

I personaly don't care what type of metal a song is, I hate how poeple get so worked up about it so I don't bother with classing songs/bands any more as I make a lot of n00b mistakes and seen people rip into each other on youtube comments.

What are peoples take on Metallica? Metal hasn't really been popular but resently I've seen there songs, new and old, appear on peoples music players that I would of never associated with listening to Metal.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2009, 10:04:40 am »

People's take is: Metallica is awesome, but stay away from St. Anger.

I haven't listened to anything from St. Anger myself, so I can't honestly offer an opinion.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 14, 2009, 10:16:51 am »

I've listened to St Anger and I liked it =3

I do prefer other stuff, I'm a ..And Justice For All and Black Album person
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 14, 2009, 10:45:54 am »

It depends.  If you're one of those tr00 kvlt tards, yes.  The music has to be nihilistic and suicidally angry.  If you're a reasonable well-adjusted person, no.  That's like saying rap can only be about gangsta stuff.
It can be about women too.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 14, 2009, 12:05:31 pm »

Listening to Blue Cheer, specifically their first album.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

The Willow Wisp

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably not a tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 14, 2009, 12:35:49 pm »

I've listened to St Anger and I liked it =3

I do prefer other stuff, I'm a ..And Justice For All and Black Album person

I like St. Anger. It is very different from anything else Metallica has done but it is still a good album. I Like everything metallica has ever recorded, but Hetfeild's voice before ...And Justice for All get on my nerves after a while. In my opinion, S&M is metallica's best album and I think they should do another S&M-style album in a few years.
The reason for Time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 14, 2009, 03:42:08 pm »

death metal is rage embodied, black metal is a satanic music that tries to be both tragic and deep, and scary and evil, booo, i'm soo satanic

Satanism is quite often encountered, but there are quite a few bands which focus on misantrophy rather than anti-christianism. Death metal is more gore, rape, torturing, mutilating, necrophilia and stuff.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 14, 2009, 04:20:24 pm »

Death metal is more gore, rape, torturing, mutilating, necrophilia and stuff.

Da' fuck death metal do you listen to?

Maybe it's because I listen to melodeath, but I haven't heard very much songs about any of that. Or, like, any.
Usually it's about loss, death, passing away and sadness. At least the death metal I listen to.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 14, 2009, 04:55:58 pm »

Amorphis are also awesome. I think Porcupine Tree might count as metal now, certainly they've pursued a heavier sound over the past few albums.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 14, 2009, 07:32:24 pm »

There's a lot of complex thematic history to both death metal and black metal. Black metal grew out of the frozen climes of Scandanavia and so was originally full of themes of desolate isolation; the rising level of non-Christians there also fuelled some anti-Christian (and later more generally anti-religious) lyrics, but these are mostly accessories to the persistent themes of frozen wastelands, silent forests and (at least in European black metal) norse mythology. Death metal on the other hand was originally a branch of heavy metal that drifted away from what it perceived as populist concepts towards more extreme ideas, songs about the limits of human experience; death, drugs, murder and the like.

Of course the style of both has been blended with other thematic strains, such that most of the melodic black/death metal I like has none of these themes. Thematic content has been largely separated from the genre conventions of sound and style.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20