Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20

Author Topic: The Metal Thread  (Read 22733 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: The Metal Thread
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2009, 09:22:17 am »

Don't you mean FFFFFFUUUUU
Shoes...

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2009, 02:29:08 pm »

I'm posting in this topic, when the cats begin to whine. Reflecting on my past forts, and I don't have much time. 'Cause at 5 o'clock they take me to Boatmurdereeeeeeed. The booze of time for me is running looooooooooow~

Okay, enough of that now. I've hit my silly quota for the moment.

Power Metal is vexing to me. On one hand, there's no way to loudly and happily sing about dragons while remaining awesome. On the other hand, there are certain ones, often particularly bad offenders, that stick with me extremely well despite how I don't like them in concept. It hurts my fragile brain.

For example: Rhapsody's Holy Thunderforce. There is no way I could possibly tell the lyrics to somebody without being a bit embarrassed, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it. This one song in particular, that is.

I still like punk(mostly celtic punk), viking metal, death metal, gothic metal, and black metal (Even though for death metal I prefer melodeath.)

... There's Celtic Punk? Holy crap.

I'm curious now; what's Bay 12's opinion on Iron Maiden when Paul Di'anno was singing? By and far my favorite songs are sung by Dickinson but there are still quite a few I like with Di'anno. Particularly, Phantom of the Opera.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2009, 04:31:24 pm »

Di'anno was a good singer, although Iron Maiden had a different sound when he was their frontman. Dickinson is generally more talented and versatile, but Di'anno was pretty cool. He wasted it all by drinking too much and taking cocaine, although he normally complains about Steve Harris being controlling whenever the topic comes up. Dave Murray has managed to stick with the band for over 33 years, so I personally think Di'anno is just a little bitter.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2009, 05:49:05 pm »

I don't have an opinion there, but I do believe that Ronnie James Dio was a better singer for Black Sabbath than Ozzy Osbourne.
Shoes...

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2009, 06:45:07 pm »

I don't have an opinion there, but I do believe that Ronnie James Dio was a better singer for Black Sabbath than Ozzy Osbourne.
agreed, though the musics written with ozzy were better, don't know if it is is fault or just coicidence

The Willow Wisp

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably not a tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2009, 09:11:22 pm »

I like Di'anno's stuff but Dickinson's voice is one of those voices that stands the test of time and is easily remebered, like Lemmy Kilmeister, Ozzy Osbourne, or James Hetfeild. I have to give it to Dickinson on this one.

I prefer Ozzy to Dio but that opinion is a bit biased. I have a strange dislike of Dio for no disernable reason. For some reason, I just don't like the guy. I won't deny his skill, but I can't bring myself to say he is better than Ozzy.

Now I have a question. It was originaly on That Metal Show, but I've expanded the parameters of the question. Who is the better vocalist and Frontman, Rob Halford or Bruce Dickinson? This is actually a double question. First question is "Who is the better Vocalist?" and the second is "Who is the better Frontman?". I eagerly await your replies.
The reason for Time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2009, 09:22:27 pm »

... There's Celtic Punk? Holy crap.

Yes there is.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2009, 09:22:58 pm »

Look what I found.

I can't decide whether or not I like it, it's not really my type, but I love that album cover.  It's just so matter of fact and non-chalant.

"Hey, we're Stuka Squadron."

"Nice to meet you too."

"Oh yeah, it was a close game"

"Yeah, we drink blood."

"What?  I was just saying.  We drink blood."
Shoes...

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2009, 12:15:21 pm »

I live in Finland, so constant metal exposure is unavoidable. I mostly listen to (mostly Finnish) Death, Black, Industrial, Progressive, Symphonical and Trash metal (and enjoy the occasional punk) I have never really considered a band going mainstream being much of a problem (For example, Sonata Arctica is now pretty much mainstream here, and I still like their stuff) On the other hand I am not really aware of the music that is considered mainstream elsewhere (For example I had never heard of Dragonforce before joining these forums, and I'm completely helpless what comes to American pop music) and the only way I really follow the market is the local hard rock/metal radio station's weekly program where they play more alternative metal.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2009, 12:18:02 pm »

Dio is awesome, but I preferred Sabbath with Ozzy.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2009, 07:11:11 am »

Yeah well, I don't like American Metal. It seems like most Metal from the USA is thrash or metalcore, which I don't like so much. Of course, this is a matter of taste.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2009, 11:15:07 am »

I quite like a bit of thrash, but metalcore isn't my thing, I guess outside of Mastodon and Between the Buried and Me, but they've got a strong progressive vibe going on.

The Willow Wisp

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably not a tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2009, 07:55:51 pm »

Aside from Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, I'm not into metalcore either. Between the Buried and me is a kickass band. The vocals kinda ruin it for me but, I could never claim they were anything less than awesome. Mastadon is pretty cool, but not quite my cup of tea.
The reason for Time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2009, 08:30:25 pm »

For metalcore, I only like the album The Fall of Ideals by All That Remains. I don't fully know why, but I like it.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2009, 08:49:31 am »

If your musical personality was a structure, mine would be a solid core of metal, infused and encircled with progressive tendencies and defended by walls of country and folk. Also there would be a lake of the blues and jazz.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20