Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20

Author Topic: The Metal Thread  (Read 22728 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: The Metal Thread
« Reply #210 on: June 18, 2010, 08:12:46 pm »

Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 19, 2010, 02:44:32 am »

Death Metal, Black Metal, Thrash Metal, Power Metal,  Heavy Metal, and Folk Metal are all that matters.

Everything else is unkempt metalheads getting into pissing matches.
It's true that metalheads often get way too specific with their genres, but it's usually because the differences are pretty extreme. Contrast raw black metal (e.g. Burzum) with symphonic black metal (e.g. Thurisaz, one of my favourites), or technical death metal (Arsis, Necrophagist) versus melodic death metal (old In Flames, Dark Tranquillity).

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2010, 06:14:18 am »

I'm have three things for you friendly folk today: a little Disfiguring The Goddess, some Dying Fetus, and finaly Eluveitie.

More than anything else in the world I want to sound like the basist in Dying Fetus. He sounds so awesome.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 19, 2010, 06:28:30 am »

I've started leaning away from metal and into progressive rock. Seriously, 70's prog is a trip.

I still like bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden (old stuff, the newer,faster stuff like metalcore or deathmetal is too much for me). Has anyone heard of The Sword? AMAZING. One of my favourite bands, possibly in my top 3.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 19, 2010, 06:40:20 am »

I'm have three things for you friendly folk today: a little Disfiguring The Goddess, some Dying Fetus, and finaly Eluveitie.

More than anything else in the world I want to sound like the basist in Dying Fetus. He sounds so awesome.

I think he just downtunes his bass, it wouldn't surprise me if it was drop C. Other than that it seems to be a lot of  legato work, sliding and pull-offs and all that. If you really worked on it you could probably pull it off.

I've been trying to copy Hammerfall lately to try to get my playing style out of this rut I have where I sound like a bad imitation of Possessed. Can anyone suggest anything like Hammerfall?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 19, 2010, 08:47:28 am »

Seriously, 70's prog is a trip.

This is true.
Not that I don't immerse myself in metal an awful lot, along with all kinds of other genres.
If I ever get good enough to start a band and start writing songs, I suspect I'll be writing really weird songs.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 19, 2010, 11:27:46 am »

I've been trying to copy Hammerfall lately to try to get my playing style out of this rut I have where I sound like a bad imitation of Possessed. Can anyone suggest anything like Hammerfall?

Hmm...possibly Dream Evil, or Avantasia, but not sure if that's quite it.

And yes, guys, that "ninja metal" made me cringe too.  :P

KG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 19, 2010, 12:03:31 pm »

Death Metal, Black Metal, Thrash Metal, Power Metal,  Heavy Metal, and Folk Metal are all that matters.

Everything else is unkempt metalheads getting into pissing matches.
It's true that metalheads often get way too specific with their genres, but it's usually because the differences are pretty extreme. Contrast raw black metal (e.g. Burzum) with symphonic black metal (e.g. Thurisaz, one of my favourites), or technical death metal (Arsis, Necrophagist) versus melodic death metal (old In Flames, Dark Tranquillity).

I don't deny that, but I don't think metalheads can handle the responsibility of giving labels like that.

I prefer this idea.  "This is The Dummies.  They're death metal, really technical, with some black metal vocals and a bit of keyboard work"

THOU SHALT SURFER
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 12:05:24 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 19, 2010, 02:11:01 pm »

I've started leaning away from metal and into progressive rock. Seriously, 70's prog is a trip.
See, I tend to mix a lot of prog, post-rock and metal. Especially sludgy/stoner/doomy metal. There is some fantastic obscure and semi-obscure stuff kicking around.

For example, Crippled Black Phoenix. They are something of a post-rock supergroup and are a bit all over the place when it comes to genres, but they have some wonderfully proggy stuff. For example;

Rise Up and Fight. Tell me this isn't a love letter to Pink Floyd.
When You're Gone.
Goodnight Europe..  One of my favourites.

As a straight prog band, a York local, Mostly Autumn. They had the wonderful Heather Findlay who made them more than just a 70's prog tribute act. They also have a thing for Lord of the Rings and folk music, which makes for some great tracks. They don't have many on Youtube, so I've done a few of the bigger ones then some of their folk.

Prog;
Heroes Never Die. Something of a signature tune.
The Night Sky. <3
Porcupine Rain.
[ulr=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTjHkaODDQc]Evergreen[/url]

Folk;
Folklore.
Shenanigians.
Out of the Inn.

For continuity, try this;
Ayreon - Day 11: Love
That's Heather playing Love on an Ayreon album. Ayreon is a single artist who collects the best vocalists and talents he can to make prog/metal rock opera albums. Mostly science fiction/fantasy themes, with some absolutely crazy lyrics. His guest vocalists have included James LaBrie, Mikael Åkerfeldt, Irene Jansen, Magnus Ekwall, Devon Graves, Mike Baker, Devin Townsend, Bruce Dickinson, Tobias Sammet, Simone Simons, Sharon den Adel, Russell Allen, Jonas Renkse, Hansi Kürsch, Jan-Chris de Koeijer, Andi Deris, Timo Kotipelto, etc.

Some tracks from the various albums.
01011001;
Age of Shadows. This is a hint of just how ridiculous the vocals can get.
Ride the Comet[/ulr]. And the vocals. "Find your way home, little extremophiles."
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsA7sowKO5E]Liquid Eternity.

The Human Equation;
Day 2: Isolation. <3<3<3
Day 3: Pain. Featuring Devin Townsend doing some screaming.
The Universal Migrator
Into The Black Hole. Bruce!
The Final Experiment
Eyes of Time.
Sail Away To Avalon[url=http://.
Into the Electric Castle
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUOToXv-ZuA]The Decision Tree].
Into the Electric Castle
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUOToXv-ZuA]The Decision Tree
Amazing Flight.. And we're back to prog. And Hippies, but mostly prog.

So lets do another prog band. Riverside. One of the best current prog bands out there, with a nice metal influence. They have a hell of a lot of good stuff. For starters;

Turned You Down.
Conceiving You.
Schizophrenic Prayer. <3
Beyond the Eyelids. This is a bit more metal. Quite a lot of Dream Theatre in parts.
Rainbow Box.
Second Life Syndrome. (Part 2)

In much the same vein, some Porcupine Tree. Better known (because they aren't Polish), but still a little obscure.

Fear of a Blank Planet.
Time Flies.
Way Out of Here.

Anyway, going in another direction entirely, anyone listened to anything in the Neurosis/Isis/Cult of Luna/Rosetta axis before?

Rosetta are easily my favourite. Their first album really made an impact. It was a two disc affair, with one being a sort of post-rock/metal blend, the other being weird ambient stuff. What happened when you played them both at once... Well, listen to this;
Départe/Deneb
Instantly addicted.

Since then they have been getting a bit more accessible, but they have kept that really spacy sound and ambient/metal mix just right. For example, the instrumental TMA1 is just amazing. They have also introduced a few clean vocals, as in this cover of the Cure's Homesick. The new album is pretty good (although I'm still getting used to it). Here is the title track.

Isis are rather better known. They recently split up, but then I think they had done everything they were going to. For people who don't like the atmospheric/ambient stuff in Rosetta, Isis are the band you want. A few semi-random tracks;
The Beginning and End.
Holy Tears.
Ghost Key. About as ambient as they go.

Cult of Luna are very similar again, but more sludge. A lot of the stuff on Youtube is really nasty quality, so some of the better ones I've found;
Owlwood. I really love this track. Massively sludgy.
Leave Me Here. This works better in album order.
Vague Illusion.

In a more post-rock direction, God Is An Astronaut. Some similarities to Rosetta up there, especially TMA1. Pretty chilled out, but somehow massively energetic (especially live). Very few people know them, but most who hear them fall in love quickly.

Post Mortem. Oh god this song rules. Perfect tension relief.
Echos.
New Years End.
Fragile. This one in particular sounds very Scandinavian post-rock to me.
A Deafening Distance.
Fireflies and Empty Skies.
Rememberance Day. This is more or less the iconic version of their music.
I'm going to stop here before I link their entire catalogue.

For anyone who doesn't like the slow or soft stuff, try Baroness. Sludgy beyond belief and fantastic listening in every way. Technically brilliant as well.

Isak.
A Horse Called Golgotha.
Rays on Pinion.
O'Appalachia. "RAISE YOUR VOICES!"

And finally, because I love technical stuff, one of the most amazing bands of last year and best instrumental metal bands full stop. Animals as Leaders. This band is just one guy playing all the guitar parts (mostly on 7 and 8 strings) with a drum machine. But that doesn't matter when he can make it do stuff like this;

CAFO. And this showing how that's played.
Tempting Time. Opening track. Can you say mission statement?
On Impulse.
The Price of Everything and the Value of Nothing.

Greatoliver

• Bay Watcher
  • Blobby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 19, 2010, 04:30:46 pm »

I think he just downtunes his bass, it wouldn't surprise me if it was drop C. Other than that it seems to be a lot of  legato work, sliding and pull-offs and all that. If you really worked on it you could probably pull it off.

The bassist is a bit insane... He seems to basically mimic the guitar, so all the sweeps and stuff are also played by him, he uses a pick etc. What I don't understand is how he gets so much range on merely 4 strings, as he does copy the guitar, and so the sweeps will be large.  All I can think of is he tunes his bass with huge steps between the strings or he is amazing at changing neck position...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 09, 2010, 10:19:20 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqMgQIx_jkI

I know the vocalist personally.  Don't know if this qualifies as "good" or not though, as I can't say I'm much of a metalhead.  There are a couple other videos of them up there, but not much.

EDIT:  You may want to take note of the "afterparty" video they posted, wherein they attempt to light one of the band members' hair on fire.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 07, 2010, 03:28:44 pm »

So, having finally got of my ass and started learning guitar, I've decided it'd be best if I went and looked at some of the more well known bands like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.

I'm getting the distinct feeling I've come home.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 07, 2010, 08:55:49 pm »

Led Zepp's greated acheivement is how the solos don't sound like solos. They actually fit into the song just fine.

I'm not sure what you guys would call Rush, but I call it awesome.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 07, 2010, 11:01:34 pm »

Is there any thrash metal bands that are around nowadays and write good music?

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 08, 2010, 12:08:19 am »

Kamelot is <3
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20