Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20

Author Topic: The Metal Thread  (Read 22738 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: The Metal Thread
« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2010, 04:58:51 pm »

I have to agree with Aqizzar on this one.  60s era recording equipment fifty feet away from the band is underground and tr00 kvlt and all, but it doesn't make for quality music.
Shoes...

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2010, 02:52:13 pm »

That is true Black Metal.

Despite what the common hearer may think, this is music.

Not in my book it's not.  This is what pure heavy metal is supposed to sound like.

Well, not really.  But it's a lot more musical.

EDIT: Shit, I can't even tell what I'm looking at.  I was supposed to be linking this.

If you're some KVLTard, sure. But if it actually does add to the music?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2010, 03:05:43 pm »

It doesn't, though.  That's the thing.
Shoes...

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2010, 03:07:53 pm »

It doesn't, though.  That's the thing.

It does.

EDIT:
Well, either you like Black Metal or you don't. That's all I can really say, IMO it must be low-fi, but there is also 'normal' recording quality BM which I like. I doesn't fit everyone.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 03:09:48 pm by Dwarf »
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2010, 03:09:00 pm »

Quality is objective and my opinion is the benchmark.

Anyway, I like more technical metal, with quality recording equipment.  That might be decent if they used stuff from this decade, but as is it's just noise.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2010, 03:52:22 pm »

Please Dwarf, since this scratchy shit seem to run in your blood, I'd love to hear how really crappy recording equipment is supposed to improve the quality of what's already screeching, wailing, tuneless guitars with no sense of pitch or harmonics.  Because as far as I can tell, it started with Eastern European garage bands listening to American heavy metal, and they didn't have better equipment to use, and the modern bands still use crappy equipment as a vogue way of obscuring that they have no idea how to play their instruments or write songs.  Please, I'm plenty willing to have my mind changed.

I can pick up a $50 guitar from a yard sale and record my manic strumming with a Speak'n'Spell too.  Doesn't make me a musical genius.  In the meantime, I'll just listen to someone who at least can hold to a rhythm.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 03:54:06 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2010, 04:02:08 pm »

Oh please, don't get offended.
This is Black Metal. It's music about hatred and misanthropy. Low recording quality adds coolness to a theme in which coolness fits well. Therefore, it adds to the music.
It's another style of metal which consciously contains no extravagances.
And whilst this is admittedly not especially difficult to play (except for the drums), they do know how to hold to a rhythm.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2010, 04:14:43 pm »

Dwarf, I have to agree with the others. Good metal is great music, a good riff or solo distinguishes the garage bands from the demi-gods, and the awesomness of a fast, exciting drum solo is uncomparable to most other styles of music. This proffesionalism shouldn't be screwed by bad recording. Agreed, it is often music about miserable feelings or painfull experiences (although I've certainly heard positive songs as well). And I agree, the music should reflect that. But not by being miserable music. Do you like a bad movie because it's about a bad story? No. You want a good movie to show you how bad the bad story is. Same goes for music.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2010, 04:15:38 pm »

I could be an ass and argue that their slavish adherence to low quality is a form of extravagance, on top of being a ridiculous way to express misanthropy, but yeah, I'm getting bent out of shape over this for no reason.  I have no problem with the music being around or with people listening to it, it'd just be nice to hear you admit that music that sounds shitty sucks regardless of whether the shittyness is intentional.  I mean, I listen to crap music too, but I don't rave about how great it is because of how hard it sucks consciously making it great.

Besides, if you want misanthropy in your music, don't be afraid of the past.  Notice how they manage to express their misanthropy and hatred without sacrificing the recording quality to the Gods of the Indy Scene.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:17:51 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 07, 2010, 04:19:22 pm »

Did I rave about how great it is?

Also, if I enjoy what is crappy music is to you, fine, so be it.
Dwarf enjoys crappy music.
I'll stop giving a shit now.

EDIT: Similar to how you dislike Black Metal, I don't enjoy Thrash Metal at all.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:27:16 pm by Dwarf »

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2010, 09:01:49 pm »

I have to admit, I can't really get into most black metal with intentionally low production values. Some great black metal bands I like had crappy production on their first album, but it was simply because they were poor and had no idea they might actually sell albums; now Ikuinen Kaamos (Finland) has made their third excellent album in a row, and the production is pretty good. It's not the raw sound by which some people are drawn to black metal, but it's a great demonstration of talent and song-writing.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 08, 2010, 07:46:13 pm »

On the topic of bands with low quality first albums: Samael hasn't been mentioned yet. I never got into their early works, but anything from albums later then ceremony of oposits and blood ritual is awesome.

Also, has Deathstars been mentioned yet?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:49:03 pm by Virex »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 09, 2010, 04:00:41 pm »

steel is the best, but iron can be useful and bronze has a nice olde time feel. Gold is just to damn heavy 
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 09, 2010, 04:21:26 pm »

The lack of Pirate Metal in the metal scene is disturbing...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:23:17 pm by Mindmaker »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 09, 2010, 04:40:47 pm »

On that note, Vanadium and Cobalt are pretty decent if you like their style.

(There's nothing better then rhodium as far as metals go, but apparently there's no band named like that)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:43:14 pm by Virex »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20