Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20

Author Topic: The Metal Thread  (Read 22746 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: The Metal Thread
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2009, 06:24:53 am »

Okay, here's a Google Videos hosting of Land of Confusion, and a whole list of other sites if that's blocked too.  The mtv.com video has apparently been on the Internet for twenty years.  I find that doubtful.

...Project Chaos...

both of those are awesome. I'm looking at some of the other stuff they've done now.

Great.  Note that "Project Chaos" was just the name of the, well, project, and the people who made each song are in the titles.  BrainCells and SnappleMan were the big metalheads of the effort, and the others you'll want to listen to are Live at the Sandopolis, Malicious Fingers, and Dead Batteries.  I'm not familiar with much else by them, but SnappleMan supposedly turns up around the net with other equally good synth-metal stuff.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2009, 11:36:48 am »

Not exactly metal, more like pretentious art rock, but this is really good, and has some very intense spots.  The violin solo at 1:50 will melt your face.  The full song is over an hour long, but 20 minutes of that is silent (Told you it was pretentious) and varies between this bizarre sing-talking and really good instrumental parts.
Shoes...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 18, 2009, 07:43:40 am »

It's pretty, but the title is hilarious.

Okay, here's a Google Videos hosting of Land of Confusion, and a whole list of other sites if that's blocked too.  The mtv.com video has apparently been on the Internet for twenty years.  I find that doubtful.

That's actually a pretty terrifying video. But yeah, I like this song. It has a really weird desperate vibe to it.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2010, 05:15:51 am »

Necro'd for the sake of metal.

On the topic of

Black Metal

The signature themes of Black Metal are mainly a bleak outlook at life, and, sometimes, satanism, atheism, antitheism or paganism. It's the metal way to say that life sucks, and does suck hard, in a non-emo way.
As an example of life-hating lyrics:

Black metal, especially black metal drumming, requires skill to play, despite what you might think upon hearing.
Hear closely and isolate the drums. Are you noticing with what insane speed the drums are being played?
That is called a blast beat.

Famous Black Metal bands are, among others: Emperor, Burzum, Gorgoroth, Darkthrone, Immortal. Many others, there is an incredibly huge amount of obscure bands. Early Dimmu Borgir (For All Tid, Stormblåst) are also more widely considered as Black Metal.

Bottom line: Either you like it, or you don't.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2010, 09:31:41 am »

Not a fan of black metal but it is very good practice to all metal drummers.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2010, 10:12:48 am »

On the topic of

Viking/Pagan/Folk Metal

Image above is Ensiferum, who has an IMO hot keyboard player and is the probably biggest name in paganesque epic heroic folk metal. Note that these guys are, being Finnish, not Viking metal. Vikings = Norse people, Norse people ≠ Finnish people.

As an example to mind-blowing epic powerful music:
Ensiferum - Heathen Throne
Ensiferum - Tumman Virran Taa
Ensiferum - The Longest Journey (Heathen Throne Part II - part 1)
Ensiferum - The Longest Journey (Heathen Throne Part II - part 2)

Listen it in one go!

Then, we have got Tır.
Tır is a kinda known Viking/Pagan metal band. They hail from the Føroyar (Faroe islands).
They make kind of heavy metal with progressive elements and clear vocals. Also, unlike some bands, I think they get the Viking image across without being ridiculous.

The songs you should probably hear are:
Tır - Regin Smiğur (This is føroyskt, the Faroese language and very close to Old Norse)
Tır - Into the Storm

And last but not least,
Moonsorrow.

They are a melodic black pagan metal ensemble. Also, for fuck's sake, the Finnish language makes me jizz.
Moonsorrow - Sankarihauta Featuring the extremely plowable queen of Iceland.
Moonsorrow - Pakanajuhla

Other big names in the folk/pagan/viking genre include Korpiklaani, Eluveitie, Einherjer, (Amon Amarth is not Viking Metal), Fintroll and many more.
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2010, 11:06:31 am »

Mourning Beloveth are an Irish Doom/Death metal band. Happy days.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2010, 12:45:22 pm »

Uhm, well I'm not so much into black metal or doom metal or the like. Not my cup of tea.
I look at it slightly in the same way that I look at RnB....It's not that much variety in it.
Thought I have to admit, the skill level is insane.
I'm mostly into bands like Dir en grey, with their obscure music, and their strong lyrics. Blind Guardian because....well....they have great variety and they have lots of charm  :D
In flames, maylene and the sons of disaster..you name it. I listen to mostly everything.
But then again, it needs variety and some semblance of melody to it : 3

And, um, while not strictly metal...more like rock , I've become addicted to Gåte lately (Oooh, I have nothing else to write. bear with me)

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 01, 2010, 02:44:25 am »

Manifold was doing MIDI songs last time I was around. They were pretty good.

Hey, thats me.

I was looking in my "replies to your posts" list and this thread turned up.

To keep this post on topic... Amorphis is awesome and godly... yeah, thats all I got.

The Willow Wisp

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably not a tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 01, 2010, 05:16:55 pm »

There is a band by the name of Fozzy that I really like. And, seeing as I'm a fan and this being a thread devoted to Metal, I figured I'd help spread the Fozzpel.

They orginally played covers of songs by bands like Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Judas Preist, Motley Crue, and various other heavy metal and hard rock bands. They did this under the gimmick of having been trapped in Japan for the last 20 years under contract loopholes. While in Japan they wrote and produced countless hits and returned to the states only to find that all their songs had been stolen by other bands. Thus they set out to show all the American Metal Heads what the songs were supposed to sound like.

In 2004 they dropped the gimmick and recorded an album of only original material. That album was All that Remains and they released another album named Chasing the Grail.

They have an old school style, and have a few songs that aren't as much metal as Hard Rock.

Some of my favorite songs by Fozzy:
Pray for Blood
Wormwood
Born of Anger(ft. Marty Friedman)
God Pounds His Nails
Martyr No More
Enemy
It's a Lie(ft. Bonecrusher)
The reason for Time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2010, 02:20:19 am »

The music itself isn't hugely my style, I like some range in my harsh vocals, but this needs to be mentioned.

Specifically the first 30 seconds.  A lot of bands get attributed with that tenebrous "epic" sound, which usually means it has a heroic feel and is applied to power metal bands.

Nay, I say.  The song above is epic.  The sound is massive, foreboding, and really captures the emotional theme of the lyrics too.  It's awesome.
Shoes...

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 05, 2010, 10:10:43 am »

That is true Black Metal.

Despite what the common hearer may think, this is music.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2010, 10:35:03 am »

That is indeed, I will shake your hand good sir for your good taste in music.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2010, 11:14:14 am »

That is indeed, I will shake your hand good sir for your good taste in music.

Good sir, thank you.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2010, 03:43:43 pm »

Not in my book it's not.  This is what pure heavy metal is supposed to sound like.

Well, not really.  But it's a lot more musical.

EDIT: Shit, I can't even tell what I'm looking at.  I was supposed to be linking this.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 03:48:44 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20