Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20

Author Topic: The Metal Thread  (Read 22692 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: The Metal Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 01:35:39 pm »

I love Rock, and strong music of any kind really.  And the way I see it, if you're willing to carve stuff up into specific "genres" of music, especially nineteen different flavors of just Mettahl, you're already a genre elitist.

I have, in the past hour, listened to Judas Priest, Sublime, Cream, Iron Maiden, Fleetwood Mac, and three different forms of Guns'n'Roses.  I listen to whatever I want to listen to.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 01:49:20 pm »

Sublime?

Say it isn't so, Aqizzar. 

My dad listens to Sublime, as well as Cake, and a bunch of other bands where the lead singer talks and puts weird inflections on his words.
Shoes...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 01:54:37 pm »

Alright, I'm the wayward music migrant. I have no preferred genres. I know nothing of popular artists. Song names and album titles fly over my head. There appear to be songs from everywhere that I like but I cannot name.

So I ask you: What would you recommend to hook somebody into this genre? What is the most appealing example that would get me addicted to this?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 01:58:44 pm »

IRON MAEHDEN
Shoes...

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 02:09:03 pm »

I like Judas Priest's harder stuff. Rage Against The Machine isn't really undiluted metal, but it's there if you look for it.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 02:49:46 pm »

This is kind of what I'm talking about.  Now you're trying to turn bands that have nothing to do with Mettahl, like Rage, into Mettahl because you like their music and you want them to be part of your list of allowable genres.

Sublime?

Say it isn't so, Aqizzar. 

My dad listens to Sublime, as well as Cake, and a bunch of other bands where the lead singer talks and puts weird inflections on his words.

This is also what I'm talking about.  There are exactly two Sublime songs I can even name, let alone know I like.  "Santeria", which is just catchy, and their cover of Bad Religion's "We're Only Gonna Die".  I know absolutely nothing else about their repertoire, and even if I did and I didn't like it, that wouldn't make Santeria a bad song.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 02:50:59 pm »

I had no way of knowing that before you said it.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 02:52:01 pm »

And it would matter if you did?  That's what makes it Elitist.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 03:09:14 pm »

This is kind of what I'm talking about.  Now you're trying to turn bands that have nothing to do with Mettahl, like Rage, into Mettahl because you like their music and you want them to be part of your list of allowable genres.

The sheer stupidity of that statement made me RAEG, but I'm not allowed to start something in this thread.

What qualifies as metal, anyways?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 03:36:30 pm »

Ensiferum, Wintersun, Turisas, Alestorm, Disarmonia Mundi, Alter Bridge, Amon Amarth, Amorphis, Charon, Soilwork, Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Einherjer, Eluveitie, Fintroll, Static-X, Insomnium, Kamelot, Korpiklaani, Sentenced, Naglfar, Opeth, Rammstein, Thyrfing, Strapping Young Lad....

Hell, I even like some All That Remains.

It's not good to limit yourself to one thing, it's much better to explore the whole spectrum.
The stuff I listen to ranges right across the board.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 04:01:15 pm »

What qualifies as metal, anyways?
I always thought of metal as just having heavier riffs, and more an emphasis on instrumentals.
I... think that's pretty generic across all metals.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2009, 06:52:24 pm »

Uhh... I guess KMFDM?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2009, 08:05:46 pm »

Sonata Arctica has amazing vocals and decent-to-awesome keyboards, more of a really melodic and pretty sound (although recently their sound is getting darker, with slightly more emphasis on the keyboards.
You forgot to mention the best instrument ever: the keytar.

As for me, I tend to listen more to things with a somewhat medieval sound, like Blind Guardian and Falconer.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2009, 08:54:29 pm »

i was a man of thrash till i turned nineteen, on a town where the mainstream music is black metal

i used to throw some old stuff like judas priest and black sabbath into my metal milkshake, and learned to apreciate death metal also, just to enjoy the weekly local band concerts. We had some pretty decent bands but to me the experience of seeing even a mediocre band play live beats any night spent on a metal club or disco or anything

now i moved on a little, got soft, but sometimes, when i hear someone listening to pantera on their mp3, i stretch my mouth on a malevolous grin of satisfaction, and for a day or two, fall back into that state of semi-consciousness that is to be a metalhead, just like a werewolf in a full moon night

as for genres, i don't think it is elitist to refuse to hear some bands based on their genre, bands are grouped in genres because they share similarities, and if you listened to enough bands that you didn't like that belonged to the same genre, it's fine and practical to assume that you probably wont like any band in that genre

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 01:52:52 am »

I love Rock, and strong music of any kind really.  And the way I see it, if you're willing to carve stuff up into specific "genres" of music, especially nineteen different flavors of just Mettahl, you're already a genre elitist.

What? I just like to have it nicely classified. I don't freaking care if somebody likes GWAR, Pantera, Dimmu Borgir or even Mötley Crüe.

Wait, there IS an exceotion, Nu Metal >:(
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20