Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20

Author Topic: The Metal Thread  (Read 22734 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Metal Thread
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2009, 09:30:08 am »

Yeah well, I don't like American Metal. It seems like most Metal from the USA is thrash or metalcore, which I don't like so much. Of course, this is a matter of taste.

For American metal, The Lord Weird Slough Feg. Who started out, apparently, in the same state I currently reside in.

http://www.last.fm/music/The%2520Lord%2520Weird%2520Slough%2520Feg/_/The%2520Final%2520Gambit?ac=The%20Final%20Gambit

Traveller and Down Among the Deadmen are my favorite albums. They get a little old if you listen to too much at once; it's guitar, vocals, drums, with little else to support, but it's goddamned GOOD.

The vocals are extremely clean, and in general their music tends to be extremely dramatic and epic.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2009, 10:19:48 am »

I'm not a huge fan of Slough Feg, but Mike Scalzi (The vocalist) used to be in a band called Hammers of Misfortune, which is incredible and one of my favorite bands.  The vocals take getting used to, but if you already like Slough Feg you probably like them.  Mike Scalzi left the band, though, and got replaced with this really nasal-sounding guy for the most recent album(s).  You can tell he's trying to sound like Scalzi but he's nowhere near as good, and the album(s) as a whole suffers from it.  Still, those first three albums are amazing, especially The August Engine, which is what the linked song is from.
Shoes...

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2009, 11:19:34 am »

I can't get throught the day without some metal music.

Fav bands at the moment are Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, Lamb of God, Nevermore and Meshuggah
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2009, 02:57:11 pm »

Nymphomaniac Fantasia with lyrics.

I must admit that everytime I hear this song and Tarja's voice, something moves in my pants.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

The Willow Wisp

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably not a tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2009, 02:02:32 pm »

If your musical personality was a structure, mine would be a solid core of metal, infused and encircled with progressive tendencies and defended by walls of country and folk. Also there would be a lake of the blues and jazz.

Wow. Replace the proggressive tendancies with southern Rock and the Jazz with grunge and you have my musical structure. Also, the analogy gets bonus points.

I listened to Slough Feg and it is definitely on my list of stuff to get.

Now I have a Quick question. In terms of your favorite band, and favorite songs by said band, do you prefer them Live or Studio? I was listening to Edward the Great, an Iron Maiden's Greatest hits album, and realzed how much I prefer their Live sound to their studio sound. I also prefer Metallica's sound live, as well as Judas Preist.
The reason for Time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2009, 02:58:06 pm »

Iron Maiden are just great live. I saw them in July '08 in Twickenham. I admit Bruce's voice has deteriorated a bit, but he's still great.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2009, 04:00:53 pm »

Normally I prefer studio, which usually has a better recording quality. It bugs me when I'm in a playlist and it comes to some video of a live act where people are yelling through the entirety of the song, or it's just plain on someone's camcorder and you can barely hear anything.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

The Willow Wisp

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably not a tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2009, 07:25:34 am »

I've noticed there are two types of Live performances in Heavy Metal. You get the version where the crowd is respectful and keeps quit enough to still enjoy the music, and then there is the version where the crowd is too rip roaring drunk to give a damn about the music. In terms of Live albums, Metallica's live album and Iron Maiden's live album were easy to listen to because the crowd had enough respect to shut up.

I never have seen the point in putting videos of concerts on the internet, when you can't hear a damn bit of the music.

Bruce's voice is different than what we got used to, but the fact that he is adapting to still give his all with out destroying his voice is awesome. Aside from Metallica's Lead Singer James Hetfeild, All of my Metal Hero's voices are changing due to age. It is gonna suck when they start to get too old to sing anymore.

The Willow Wisp

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably not a tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2009, 08:01:30 pm »

Authors Note: Sorry for the double Post.

I need some suggestions. I'm looking for more metal that is within my style. I have been reaching into the farther reaches of metal and metal-like things in terms of local bands and have found little more than Hardcore and Punk bands. I need suggestions for bands that are similiar to the bands I listen to most often. I tend to listen to Metallica, Motorhead, Judas Preist, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath/Ozzy. Anybody have any suggestions on bands with a sound similiar to any of these?

The help would be greatly appreciated.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2009, 09:09:59 pm »

METAL

Authors Note: Sorry for the double Post..I tend to listen to Metallica, Motorhead, Judas Preist, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath/Ozzy. Anybody have any suggestions on bands with a sound similiar to any of these?

The help would be greatly appreciated.

Pantera and Slayer come to mind...

The Willow Wisp

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably not a tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2009, 11:14:13 am »

I've listened to Pantera a little. I haven't listened to much Slayer, simply because I forgot they even existed. But I should give them a try. I also like the Sound of Avenged Sevenfold's self-titled album. I like the simplicity of some songs, the solos being the excpetions, and the thematic elements of others; particularly A Little Peice of Heaven.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2009, 10:23:32 pm »

Of their three albums, honestly, the second is the most polished. But they do sound heartfelt in the third one.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2009, 11:55:58 pm »

Just started listening to candlemass, they are pretty good  ;D

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2009, 04:02:21 am »

I've only heard Black Dwarf from candlemass. All there stuff like that?
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2009, 04:43:30 am »

[...] Still, those first three albums are amazing, especially The August Engine, which is what the linked song is from.

Holy. Crap. Why haven't I heard this sooner? Fantastic, even at Youtube quality!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20