Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What is the value of a dwarf?  (Read 7421 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
What is the value of a dwarf?
« on: November 08, 2009, 01:07:44 am »

I've gone back and done some modding to my game. I can buy dwarves on embark. They show up as peasants and while end up as (tame), but can perform labors and learn skills, seemingly like any regular dwarf so far. Right now they cost as much as a cat, what would be a fair price for a dwarf?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the value of a dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 01:15:30 am »

The Dark Dwarves mod, which had slave noble dwarfs and elves, priced them at a base value of about 1000 each (501 untrained). Because using pets with the [INTELLIGENT] tags was (and is) a bit buggy, those dwarfs/elves were mainly lobotomised and acted like regular pets. If you've managed to get the pet dwarfs to work somewhat well, I suggest a value of at least 3000, but you'll obviously want that to be lower if you want them on embark. In the latter case 600 (301 untrained) seems fair, because that's a pretty significant value for a basic worker.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 01:24:38 am »

Assuming you can get this to work, I suggest at least the price of an anvil.  You're going to get a LOT of productivity out of them.  All presuming you don't horribly murder them, they'll far more than pay for themselves, probably quickly.  Price them as high as you can and still afford them in embark.

This does create two interesting questions.
     1) Will the elves bring pet dwarves to sell you now?
     2) Do you bury these guys as dwarves or pets?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 01:29:52 am »

The question comes down to whether or not the dwarfs you're buying are actually the same dwarfs you're playing as, or a cloned creature entry.

If they're the same thing, then this could get very interesting.
If they're not, then they won't be able to do much other than haul and hunt.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 02:33:28 am »

I have confirmed it.
My tame dwarfs can  be drafted and ordered in the military.
They can gain skills as any other dwarf (though they always start unskilled).
They can be assigned noble positions such as sherif.
They can have their thoughts and preferences viewed.
They will chat and socialize.
They can be assigned to buildings.

Still on the todo list:
check if I can get them trainable as war dwarves.
check if the caravan delivers dwarves in cages.
check if I can request these dwarves from traders.
check if dead tame dwarves go to refuse pile like tame animals or graveyard like real dwarves.
check if tame dwarves marry/breed.

At ~1000, I would be able to at most afford +1 dwarf on embark and only if I give up the anvil. Based on embark I was guessing that they should be priced around 300. Though that could get abusive if they can be delivered on the trade caravan.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 02:41:01 am »

As I mentioned in my earlier post, it would be interesting to know if you created a new entry for the dwarfs or if you used the existing one.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 02:49:31 am »

I figure AT LEAST about 332 on the embark menu, twice as much as camel, probably something like 664 or 700 would be more realistic in terms of historical and gameplay paradigms.

Slaves were never very inexpensive back in the olde dayes O yore, which is why only wealthy landowners and governments could afford to purchase them. Slaves were something most folks could never dream of owning, unlike a common cow, camel or whatever that you can buy on the embark menu.

With traders, I'd think a slave would be worth at least twice that, with the price of the cage added to the figure.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 03:15:29 am »

As I mentioned in my earlier post, it would be interesting to know if you created a new entry for the dwarfs or if you used the existing one.

Its all the same dwarves. One entry.

I can add to the list of confirmed dwarven qualities, tame dwarves eat.

I'm not quite convinced that these dwarves would be considered slaves. My expedition leader is one of the tame dwarves in the test colony.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 03:17:37 am by Nadaka »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 03:18:34 am »

Wow. Slightly off-topic, but... does this mean you can have Goblin, Elf, or Human pets that can have labors assigned?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 03:27:01 am »

Yeah, this confirms my theory about intelligent creatures - if you take an intelligent pet of a different entry, regardless of whether it's identical or not, the pet will be somewhat functional but highly buggy. However, if you take a pet from the same entity as the player race, the game will assume that it's actually a member of said entity.

Kinda a small insight into the way Toady has player control implemented.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 03:33:43 am »

trained war peasants!

wait..... something I did makes it so dwarves can be chosen for slaughter, but not able to be able to choose labors....
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 03:36:57 am by Japa »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 03:42:25 am »

trained war peasants!

wait..... something I did makes it so dwarves can be chosen for slaughter, but not able to be able to choose labors....

that would be the [PET] tag. Pet tag let you slaughter. My dwarves are capable of buying themselves because they are [COMMON_DOMESTIC]

I believe they are mostly, if not completely functional due to having [CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK][CAN_LEARN] instead of [INTELLIGENT]. Still in the process of testing however.

Also confirmed:
they get moods.
they throw tantrums.
can order from liason.
!Lorbom Akomkal has become a war peasant! Note that this is bad... It removes labor menu and removes him from the military dialogs. But it looks like he keeps working his previous jobs, may be able to fiddle with him in dwarf therapist to control his labors.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 04:51:09 am by Nadaka »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 07:49:04 am »

Oh... wow. A sort of human... I mean dwarf trade. Maybe not actually slaves, but defintely not free people. It's a fun option.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 07:53:11 am »

Damn, I wanted to try this but I'm unable to reproduce it. Mind telling what tags exactly I need to add to get them to show up in the embark buy menu?
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

MatrexsVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 10:51:08 am »

I copied over the Dwarf entry to the Common_Domestic.txt and then took out the [Intelligent] tag.  Added in [CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK][CAN_LEARN][COMMON_DOMESTIC][trAINABLE][PET][PETVALUE:30][NATURAL] in its place.  Dwarves and dwarf children show up on the embark screen for 1pt (despite being valued at 30).  If you buy them, they start off as peasants and you can assign labor and everything else the guy above said he can do.

Only problem--as soon as I added the Dwarf creature_standard entry (without modification, I might add) to the Creature_Domestic.txt, I always started the game as Humans.  Even after adding all the tags above, I'm still forced to start the game as humans.

How do I fix that?

EDIT: I just renamed the new domestic pet dwarves to Dorfs, renaming all the craftdwarf, etc. named in the tags and then re-embarked on a newly gen'd world.  I started the game as dwarves, had dorfs (16pts), child dorfs (16pts), hunting dorfs (31pts), and war dorfs (31pts).   Awesome! 

EDIT2:  I was wrong about the [PET] and [trainable] tags!  You don't need them--they make them into dogs in the sense that they can be trained or slaughtered, but they can't be assigned labors.  Save the game, take out those tags, and then restart, and they'll act like dwarves again.  Problem solved!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 11:14:06 am by MatrexsVigil »
Pages: [1] 2 3