Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wood surplus  (Read 3361 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wood surplus
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 03:50:10 am »

Build a giant warehouse to store all the wood.
If  wood takes too much space in stockpiles, use it to build more stockpiles.
Pave with wood every floor of your fortress that you are not planning to engrave. Make bolts of course. Coal, Ash( for potash and lye), whatever.
If you still have too much, build more wooden warehouses, and make them taller. At the end, you will have an interesting map.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 11:51:31 am »

I envy your problem.

Barrels: Top priority.  On the other hand, I tend to accumulate a lot by buying out the caravan's liquor.  Still.

Bins: Hundreds of trees have died to make these bins.  I have a huge finished goods stockpile -- likely enough to last me two decades of training.  I continue to make bins until I can see empty spaces in it.

Ash->Potash->Pearlash: I like me some clear glass.  If you don't have sand on your map, allow me to recommend Ash->Lye->Soap.  I place all my artifacts on soap.  Why?  Discourages dwarven thieves.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 08:54:22 pm »

make a charcoal driven steel industry

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 08:59:44 pm »

getting rid of wood is rather easy.. observe.

Crafts-Workshop = Build Woodenbolts/R
Wood Furnace  = Make charcoal/R
Ashery = Make potash/pearash/R

Bingo, in no time that wood should go bye bye
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 09:29:35 pm »

If you can make glass, you may as well make a clear glass industry; it'll chew through wood pretty quickly. I'm working on getting that set up on my map right now, since I currently have over 350 logs in my stockpile and tons of trees left to cut down.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 09:34:56 pm »

set the entire stockpile on fire... that should clear it out.

Kyrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 03:24:46 am »

Binsbinsbinsbinsbins. It's all about bins. If you get a prepared food industry running, half your barrel supply will be freed up for booze once your chefdorfs start to make food stacks too big for a barrel. But bins? You always need a ton of those for your crafts, and to prevent the inevitable thousands of (narrow cave spider silk left sock) from cluttering up your fort.

Or you can build a forge already. A non-magma-driven metalworking industry eats wood like nobody's business. Charcoal for the smelting, more charcoal for more smelting into pig iron and steel when applicable, yet more charcoal for the actual weapon/armor/item forging.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 03:40:55 am »

make a giant 2/3 floor warehouse out of the wood

i currently have a giant wooden town being made, that will overgrow with trees and shrubs, and will be inhabited by creatures when i leave, use's up all my wood quite sharpish, my 9 woodcutters never stop
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

balath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 11:40:46 am »

set the entire stockpile on fire... that should clear it out.

This.  Do it while the elf Liaison is trying to conduct a meeting.  Trap him in the burning stockpiles.
What would you do if seven small, beared men marched into your home and started to dig out a city in your basement?

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 02:25:57 pm »

Put your idle dwarves to work as carpenters, have them produce about 200ish beds (assuming this is your popcap you'll never need more) then make bins and barrels like a madman, you can NEVER have too many of them. Once you get some legendary carpentry going on make some masterwork furniture for your nobles or something, especially if you have valuable wood around.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 02:24:11 pm »

If you don't have sand on your map, allow me to recommend Ash->Lye->Soap.  I place all my artifacts on soap.  Why?  Discourages dwarven thieves.

If you don't have sand, you can't make soap.  Alchemy Lab requires 3 clear glass vials.  You can't import them so you gotta make them.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 03:43:02 pm »

I wish I had that "issue" when building my airship.

Feel free to attempt replicating it. I mean, so far, with the progress I made, it's taken at minimum so far 150+ logs to build. I haven't taken the time to count all the tiles used.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 04:16:12 pm »

I gotta say, making clear glass blocks is slow. You need to gather sand, burn a log to ash, convert the ash to potash, convert the potash to pearlash, and finally make the glass block.

I'm starting to regret using clear glass for the entrance of my fortress. It's gonna take several hundred blocks. The logs are no problem; I have over 300 in my stockpile and tons of trees left to cut down. It's just taking forever...
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 04:29:45 pm »

I gotta say, making clear glass blocks is slow. You need to gather sand, burn a log to ash, convert the ash to potash, convert the potash to pearlash, and finally make the glass block.

I'm starting to regret using clear glass for the entrance of my fortress. It's gonna take several hundred blocks. The logs are no problem; I have over 300 in my stockpile and tons of trees left to cut down. It's just taking forever...

I made a hollow 23 z-level pyramid entirely out of clear glass, using over 3800 blocks (didn't pave the bottom, since that would've added almost 1700 more blocks). All it takes is enough dedicated wood burners and potash makers (I had 2 of each) and available furnace operators (had at least 4, not including the dungeon master) to keep up with your glassmakers (I had twelve, counting on the fact that half of the magma glass furnaces would be tied up with Gather Sand at any given moment), and lots of patience (in my case, about 10 years worth, plus another 2 years to pump the magma into it). Work orders are your best friend when mass producing stuff, though the job cancel spam can get annoying when one part of the chain can't keep up.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:35:29 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Angellus

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 05:40:24 pm »

I wish I had your amount of wood, starting up a wood only fortress requires quite some of it XD
Pages: 1 [2] 3