Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wood surplus  (Read 3363 times)

Trout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wood surplus
« on: November 07, 2009, 11:43:38 pm »

I have almost a thousand units or so of wood because of my heavily wooded starting area, and it's filling up my vast stockpiles. It's really slowing down my game. So, I want to make something that consumes a ridiculous amount of wood, and is either cool or profitable (Bonus points for being something outside, so that I can build it next to/around my trade depot and piss off the elven merchants).

I do not have a forge, and for some reason I am unable to build any outside structures over one z-level (which I am sure is due to user error). Any suggestions?
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
Re: Wood surplus
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 11:48:14 pm »

Build vast numbers of walls into the shape of the words "FUCK ELVES".
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 11:57:38 pm »

offer them in tribute, they'll apreciate it

Trout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 12:06:17 am »

offer them in tribute, they'll apreciate it

Heh, I tried that when I first started.

"WHY ARE YOU GOING AWAY? DIDN'T YOU LIKE MY WOOD IDOLS, CROSSBOWS, AND TRINKETS?"
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.

Haze

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 12:07:32 am »

I rarely have enough wood to keep up with my barrel production which barely keeps up with my booze making and farming.

Walls work. So does ammo and menacing spikes.

Trout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 12:36:11 am »

Alright, I just finished up the layout for the "FUCK ELVES!" sign... It's gonna take a while to finally build. Does any one else have any more suggestions?

And WHY can't I build over one z-level?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 12:37:43 am »

because you cant build over thin air

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 12:43:37 am »

You have a surplus of wood? You must not be turning it all into bins, barrels, masterwork beds, charcoal, ash, lye, and ammunition. For the maximum range of products possible.

What are you using your wood for? If you're not using it at all, I think you should let the logs lie where they fall. No need to gather them if you're not using them, they don't rot and nobody steals them.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 12:55:55 am »

Alright, I just finished up the layout for the "FUCK ELVES!" sign... It's gonna take a while to finally build. Does any one else have any more suggestions?

And WHY can't I build over one z-level?

Lack of access. Put in stairs and a floor for scaffolding.

You can NEVER have too many bins and barrels, though. Or too much charcoal.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Trout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 12:57:05 am »

You have a surplus of wood? You must not be turning it all into bins, barrels, masterwork beds, charcoal, ash, lye, and ammunition. For the maximum range of products possible.

What are you using your wood for? If you're not using it at all, I think you should let the logs lie where they fall. No need to gather them if you're not using them, they don't rot and nobody steals them.

My production is going fine, though. I don't need any more barrels. I've also had about 4 or 5 craftdwarf's workshops going 24/7 building trade items and ammo and whatever I might need at the moment since I started. And the only trees I've cut recently are the ones I had to clear for the elves sign. In fact, I run out of storage space faster than I run out of wood.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 01:12:15 am »

Process it all into charcoal.

Construct a pit, or moat with a charcoal stockpile with no bins enabled.

Set it on fire one way or another.

Throw elves in.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 01:36:18 am »

To build up Z-levels, you need to have access to the upper Z-level. Just like with digging down, that means stairs (or ramps, but stairs are easier). Build an up staircase on your current Z-level. That gives access to the tile directly above it. Build an up/down staircase on that level. Now you can access the tiles to the sides of the upper staircase.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 01:47:50 am »

You can NEVER have too many bins and barrels, though. Or too much charcoal.
... or too many wooden training bolts. Until you've got a stock of Elf-bone training bolts, of course.
Never pet a burning dog.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 02:20:37 am »

If you don't have any relevant metals, I guess your log stockpile would be put best to use making sheilds, bins, barrels and crossbows.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 02:29:22 am by HAMMERMILL »

Trout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 02:23:07 am »

Oh god, elven caravan... I wonder how they'll like my monument to them.

To build up Z-levels, you need to have access to the upper Z-level. Just like with digging down, that means stairs (or ramps, but stairs are easier). Build an up staircase on your current Z-level. That gives access to the tile directly above it. Build an up/down staircase on that level. Now you can access the tiles to the sides of the upper staircase.

Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3