Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Succesion game - Above the Dismal Seas  (Read 10088 times)

Ezk1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succesion game - Above the Dismal Seas
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2009, 01:29:10 pm »

Looks pretty interesting. Sign me in.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2009, 05:26:35 pm »

We only have one z-level of water?  Boo.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2009, 05:35:04 pm »

The water level tends not to sink that much from my experience... Though I thought it would be higher.
On the plus side, whales posses the [UNDERSWIM] tag, and could easily be lurking in the ocean! Or skeletal whales.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2009, 05:53:57 pm »

The water level tends not to sink that much from my experience... Though I thought it would be higher.
On the plus side, whales posses the [UNDERSWIM] tag, and could easily be lurking in the ocean! Or skeletal whales.

I've had 17+ z-levels of water before.  Sea level is z-level 100 generally, and of course z-levels go down a lot from there.  I think part of the problem is the location is in a bay.

(On the embark screen you can look for lots of slope in the ocean to see where the z-levels start plunging rapidly).

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2009, 06:00:40 pm »

Ok, some actual game update:

Given there's really only one z-level, i suppose pump battery is the easiest way to get to the sea floor.  So i'm building a battery to power a lot of pumps.

We have immigrants, a lot of immigrants.  I drafted all the peasants.

And there are ogres.  I wish i had a chance to train my military...

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2009, 09:27:55 pm »

I've had 17+ z-levels of water before.  Sea level is z-level 100 generally, and of course z-levels go down a lot from there.  I think part of the problem is the location is in a bay.

(On the embark screen you can look for lots of slope in the ocean to see where the z-levels start plunging rapidly).
Sorry. I was more concerned with finding a magma pipe exposed near water. Otherwise, immense glass constructs would be impossible.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2009, 10:39:35 pm »

So, we suffered the loss of the axedwarf/woodcutter to the ogres, and our immigrant ranger (ie, marksdwarf) got wounded.  But the others came through just fine, and the ogres are dead.

I built an armor stand outside so the soldiers were close to any threats to the glass furnaces, and our recruits are now all wrestlers of various skills.  They keep getting interrupted by the fricking horses, however, which they're having a hard time running down.

The pathway for a battery is laid, i'm digging out some obsidian to make mechanisms with because i'm going to need a bunch to power the battery, and i can't make those out of glass.   Horribly short on wood for waterwheels, but hopefully the dwarf caravan will bring some.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2009, 01:26:03 am »

I'm in mid-autumn, I'll have to finish tomorrow.  (Err.. i suppose technically later today).  I'll upload when i'm done.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2009, 10:49:27 pm »

Upload is here:http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1611

The horses are just continuous, and distracting.  The Ogres came multiple times - put one of my wrestlers in the hospital.  Carpenter is yellow now instead of red, but not healing fast.  Marksdwarf healed though.  The next person should make frequent use of 'U' to check for animal presence on the map, and respond quickly to Ogres or Harpies.

Ok, important bits.  Battery is sufficiently completed that i've arranged for the switch flipping to let the water run and power up the pump to sustain itself and the pump for our new water supply.  The battery is on the far right side of the map at sea level and +1 zlevel above that.

The current water supply is pump fed into a green glass enclosure, including floor.  Last player made way too much farm plot, so we rarely have barrels available for brewing.  Sadly, i had other needs for wood, so the dwarves needed a water source nearby.  Hence desalinization.

F1 will give you the future fortress entrance.  You'll notice flooring going down and some pumps already placed.  You'll need pumps along both sides, pumping out from the middle, and you can extend it as far forward as you want.  (The farther, the more epic).  Close it off with pumps at the end also pumping out, then plug into battery and watch the area get vacated of water.  Dig ramps at the shore to get down into the vacated area.  Build a wall/door (floodgates) at the end, so you can disassemble those pumps up above, then start laying an outline for the fortress with more pumps so you can vacate the water from where you want to build.    I recommend leaving the pumps on and without walls for the walk, so you can turn them off by lever later and flood the entrance walk - mmm... drowning goblins!  This is also why i recommend 3-wide floodgates at the end as the ultimate entrance to the fortress - sealable against water, and wide enough to let caravans in.

F2 is our surface layer with glass furnaces and the barracks.  of course, the military is currently training on crossbows, but most of them are legendary wrestlers, so they'll sleep out there and go hang out there, which will be useful.

I've started restricting movement about the outdoors via ramp removal since we're still rather exposed, and probably will be until we can move into our sea fort.

Build more waterwheels when you need more power.

And put me back in line for another turn, this'll be fun if we don't die horribly.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2009, 11:11:08 pm »

And put me back in line for another turn, this'll be fun if we die horribly.
Fixed that for ya
Also, about the farm plots... You could try fallowing. I assumed that we'd be low on food due to little hunting, but there is plenty of  hunting.
Killaconcarnage! You are up!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:20:33 pm by 100killer9 »

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2009, 02:00:05 pm »

And put me back in line for another turn, this'll be fun if we die horribly.
Fixed that for ya
Also, about the farm plots... You could try fallowing. I assumed that we'd be low on food due to little hunting, but there is plenty of  hunting.
Killaconcarnage! You are up!

You can feed a fortress of 100 on a single 5x5 farm plot without hunting or fishing.

Its not the total acreage laid down, its the size of the large underground plot - makes it absolutely unmanageable because either i turn it all off, or leave it all on.

Oh, the grower/brewer is going to fail a mood for lack of spider silk of some sort.  Sadly, the caravan brought none, so there was really nothing i could do. 

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2009, 05:15:48 pm »

Uhh... It's killaconcarnage's turn. There's two more people after him. THEN you.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2009, 01:28:17 am »

Uhh... It's killaconcarnage's turn. There's two more people after him. THEN you.

That's a comment from the end of my turn, I have not started another one, I just forgot that. =p

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2009, 01:21:48 am »

Killaconcarnage has shown no signs of life.  Give him some time or move on to the next player?

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2009, 08:04:57 am »

Move on!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6