Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: So, let me get this straight. In order to get Toady to stop getting paid to...  (Read 22183 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile

24 new replies.  Jesus Christ people.
^This.
The manly one hath spoken.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile

I'm trying to read all the new posts in all the forums and this topic is ruining my chances. Stop updating every three seconds, damn you :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

tl;dr - Toady's cooler than you'll ever be, you self-important grubber, because he's programming a huge-ass game and you're not.  As I can guess your motives as easily as you mine, I'm going to assume that all you really wanted was to cause a scene.  You succeeded.  Congratulations and go to Hell.

One of which was Toady reminding people to be civil :I

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile

Ninja'd  :P
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Again, if the structure of his code is such that milking a cow is a monumental task, that is a problem in itself.

It's not a monumental task.  Now address what I said about priorities:

There are a lot of blatantly unimplemented features a short leap from implemented features.  What makes milking special?  Surely not public opinion, since there's a venue for expressing that and milking is... hmm, down at #34.  You could start a campaign to get it bumped up into the top 10 though, and then it'd probably get fixed pretty soon.

In case you weren't aware, he's going to be working through the top 10 suggestions after the upcoming release.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

brenoink:  I think it might help if you realized that DF is nearly a religion for some of these people.  In this religion Toady is a kind and benevolent god, completion of DF is the rapture (its a long way off but we have total faith it will come) and donations show your piety.  So your going to have about as much success as trying to logically convince a Jehovah's Witnesses that their is no god.
You do realize that it is all in jest?  You don't have to be so rude.

And brenoink, do you know how DF is programmed?  Have you seen it's code for yourself, even though that is something Toady has not revealed?  No?  So how do you know how easy milkable creatures are?

Again, if the structure of his code is such that milking a cow is a monumental task, that is a problem in itself.
So suggest to him a better way, as obviously your method is superior. I am certain that his code is perfectly capable of performing the milking task. I'm also certain that were it as easy to change as you make it sound, he'd have done it already. Likely he has put it off so that he can take the time to do it RIGHT rather than give a half-assed system, and the current ability to milk the purring maggot was a test of a feature or a placeholder for a more involved system.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

Yeah, I kinda missed that one.  I'll probably be paying for it, but the guy did come here just to call me a sucker.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Do note both parties have little support for their arguments for criticisms of the milking system. Not like Toady needs to come here and defend himself for an apparent crime of not scheduling his tasks or coding in such a way to please somebody who doubts a placeholder can be fixed.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile

brenoink:  I think it might help if you realized that DF is nearly a religion for some of these people.  In this religion Toady is a kind and benevolent god, completion of DF is the rapture (its a long way off but we have total faith it will come) and donations show your piety.  So your going to have about as much success as trying to logically convince a Jehovah's Witnesses that their is no god.
You do realize that it is all in jest?  You don't have to be so rude.

I stand by my statement as an accurate representation of what many (not necessarily all) people on this forum think, I am simply trying to help brenoink understand why he is getting so much resistance.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I kinda missed that one.  I'll probably be paying for it, but the guy did come here just to call me a sucker.

I don't recall calling you a sucker. I remember asking why you were doing something that I think is foolish.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

^^^ Still waiting for you to respond about priorities.

I'm frankly surprised it's just him.  Generally the pet-feature people show up in packs, only to disband when they realize they all have different priorities.  I give him kudos for not shitting up your thread though, even if it was just because he'd get more attention in his own.

I stand by my statement as an accurate representation of what many (not necessarily all) people on this forum think, I am simply trying to help brenoink understand why he is getting so much resistance.

Yeah, writing off your opposition as idiots is a great way to feel better about not addressing their points.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 07:54:33 pm by Footkerchief »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

No, they don't.  You're just putting words into people's mouths.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

^^^ Still waiting for you to respond about priorities.

I'm frankly surprised it's just him.  Generally the pet-feature people show up in packs, only to disband when they realize they all have different priorities.  I give him kudos for not shitting up your thread though, even if it was just because he'd get more attention in his own.

Yeah, writing off your opposition as idiots is a great way to feel better about not addressing their points.

Quick fixes should be addressed before larger issues. Next.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I don't recall calling you a sucker. I remember asking why you were doing something that I think is foolish.
It's true, Impaler is the one who called us suckers.
How did he attract this many suckers?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quick fixes should be addressed before larger issues. Next.

Please justify that principle, keeping in mind that many of the assumptions from your Project Management class will not apply here.  Make sure to explain why the majority want larger issues fixed first.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15