Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: So, let me get this straight. In order to get Toady to stop getting paid to...  (Read 22198 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff to be fixed. Didn't you read the big sign saying ALPHA pretty much everywhere you look?

If Toady (armok be with him) took a month out to fix all the current bugs, we'd be sitting here getting antsy and we'd get pretty annoyed at him doing things that don't really add much to the game, just fix up the little tiny quirks that we've all seen and laughed about. I know I've had at least a couple of jokes at the expense of most of those "features" and I'm not sure that being able to milk cows would actually give me as much joy as joking about them has.

Now, that might not be true for everyone, but Toady (armok be with him) is trying to get out new features to keep us happy so that he spends that month fixing little bugs without us whining at him too much. If you don't like the Alpha of DF then bugger off and come back when it's in beta, miss all those quirks and oddities that shouldn't exist and stop irritating people who are happy to play a good game.

Hell, Toady (armok be with him) makes Dwarf Fortress and distributes it to us (on all major platforms) completely for free, asking only for donations to keep him able to do this and then some people come along and start spewing shit at him for making an effort. While a lack of feedback on how it's going can sometimes be frustrating to players, it means that he's spending more time working of DF and less time dealing with posting and moderating.

I've been playing this broken and quirky version of DF for a year or two now, and I'm grateful to Toady (armok be with him) for making this, entirely without cost. Imagine if all the indie developers and free to play games suddenly vanished, it would be pretty crappy. So I would advise the malcontents to go and play something else if they aren't happy waiting, or to support and suggest on the forums.

Respectfully,
                  me
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

Is he seriously considering people's logic for donation based on the fact that COWS AREN'T MILKABLE?

No.  Why would you think that one example he gave is his sole sticking point and the foundation of his discontent?

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile

brenoink:  I think it might help if you realized that DF is nearly a religion for some of these people.  In this religion Toady is a kind and benevolent god, completion of DF is the rapture (its a long way off but we have total faith it will come) and donations show your piety.  So your going to have about as much success as trying to logically convince a Jehovah's Witnesses that their is no god.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Oh for the love of Armok.
Is he seriously considering people's logic for donation based on the fact that COWS AREN'T MILKABLE?
Are you kidding me?

You can change that yourself.
Look at these lines from the purring maggot.
   [EXTRACT:dwarven milk:7:0:1][MILKABLE:33333]
   [EXTRACT_VALUE:50][EXTRACT_COOKABLE]
   [EXTRACT_SIZE:10]
   [EXTRACT_CHEESE:dwarven cheese:7:0:0]
   [CHEESE_VALUE:100]

No you can't, animals can't be used in reactions yet. That is the main reason thing can't be milked.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you kidding me?

Only vermin are milkable right now.

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you kidding me?

No you can't, animals can't be used in reactions yet. That is the main reason thing can't be milked.

Its not exactly a far leap from butchering to milking.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile

Its not like people haven't modded-in milking already, the disturbing fact is that they didn't only apply it to cows.

Also, there's something fishy in the air about a escaped lunatic suddenly getting impaler's support and they posting on rather spaced out intervals.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile

There's always the mini-cow smelting reaction...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

Well brenoink, since you seem to be inside my head, I guess there's no real reason for me to say anything here.  But I will anyway.

First, I didn't start my little donation thread because I thought it would somehow speed up Toady's work.  He's said repeatedly that he's trying to wrap up a playable edition by the end of December, early January at the latest.  And even if he didn't, or I didn't believe that, I wouldn't particularly care because it's not like my life revolves around Dwarf Fortress.  It can be ready to play whenever, and I'll play it then.

Second, I also didn't donate money because I like long development waits, not did I think that would convince Toady such long waits are cool, because I've watched him reply long enough to know he's not a jackass.  He's said repeatedly that he's disappointed with himself for not having released a update in this long, and that he'll never bite off so much work at once again.  I'm willing to believe that, but I don't particularly care about that either for the same reasons.

Third, it's not like he's some garrymodder who only updates his site to make excuses about why he hasn't been updating.  He stays in contact, with observable work, clearly actually doing stuff that will, soon enough, be a playable game.  He's not pulling anything out of his ass, and he's one guy making whatever game he feels like making.

Fourth, unlike you apparently, I don't feel entitled to tell Toady what to do because I gave him some pocket change.  I could keep playing his game regardless of whether I pay any money or not, so he's under no obligation to listen to anybody.  Are there things I'd rather see him working on?  Of course.  Hell, I myself managed to delay the release by two hours to get descriptions on statues.  But it's not like he's completely oblivious people's suggestions, and once again has promised to take that into account more from now on.  You don't believe that, fine, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

So why did I start a thread saying "hey, the release is taking way too damn long, I'm gonna give money anyway and who's with me?" you ask?  Because I felt like it.  It was plain old spurious generosity because I had the cash to spare, and it amazes me that anyone else so much as replied.

tl;dr - Toady's cooler than you'll ever be, you self-important grubber, because he's programming a huge-ass game and you're not.  As I can guess your motives as easily as you mine, I'm going to assume that all you really wanted was to cause a scene.  You succeeded.  Congratulations and go to Hell.

24 new replies.  Jesus Christ people.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

whoa whoa whoa, Chill out guys.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

brenoink:  I think it might help if you realized that DF is nearly a religion for some of these people.  In this religion Toady is a kind and benevolent god, completion of DF is the rapture (its a long way off but we have total faith it will come) and donations show your piety.  So your going to have about as much success as trying to logically convince a Jehovah's Witnesses that their is no god.
You do realize that it is all in jest?  You don't have to be so rude.

And brenoink, do you know how DF is programmed?  Have you seen it's code for yourself, even though that is something Toady has not revealed?  No?  So how do you know how easy milkable creatures are to code?

I only know the "skeleton" of how programming works - the most basic logic that doesn't require knowledge of how to code - and I can see and explain (in general) why it isn't so easy (as I have done already).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 07:41:29 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Are you kidding me?

Once again, I didn't know you were this conversant with Toady's code. Can you give us a point by point list of the steps required to apply reactions to animals then? I'm sure toady would appreciate it, since you have an easy solution, and he could implement it right away!  ::)

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

24 new replies.  Jesus Christ people.

I know, 5 pages in what, an hour?  I don't think I've ever seen a faster moving thread on this forum.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

There are a lot of blatantly unimplemented features a short leap from implemented features.  What makes milking special?  Surely not public opinion, since there's a venue for expressing that and milking is... hmm, down at #34.  You could start a campaign to get it bumped up into the top 10 though, and then it'd probably get fixed pretty soon.

Also, there's nothing preventing you from setting whatever bounties you want, although it will of course be inconsequential.

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You do realize that it is all in jest?  You don't have to be so rude.

And brenoink, do you know how DF is programmed?  Have you seen it's code for yourself, even though that is something Toady has not revealed?  No?  So how do you know how easy milkable creatures are?

Again, if the structure of his code is such that milking a cow is a monumental task, that is a problem in itself.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15