Subs
- 30 (73.2%)
Dubs
- 5 (12.2%)
Whatsit?
- 6 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: MOAR Anime discussion: Subs or Dubs  (Read 3348 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: MOAR Anime discussion: Subs or Dubs
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 03:51:58 pm »

Personal I prefer subs because I always strongly prefer to experience a work of art a s close to the original artists vision as possible. Same reason avoid translated books that were originally written in English even if the local translation is more easily available. Same reason I play DF vanilla without mods, graphics or utilities.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 03:52:27 pm »

I don't believe dubs are fundamentally worse than subs in anyway, but generally in anime the quality of the English dub is so poor that even the shittiest fansub is an improvement.
Additionally, alot of dubbing tends to completely ignore what the original characters sounded like, which can often lead to some really wierd characterisation at times.

I still can't stand how Misa from Death Note sounds in english dubs.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 08:09:21 pm »

I don't believe dubs are fundamentally worse than subs in anyway, but generally in anime the quality of the English dub is so poor that even the shittiest fansub is an improvement.
Additionally, alot of dubbing tends to completely ignore what the original characters sounded like, which can often lead to some really wierd characterisation at times.

I still can't stand how Misa from Death Note sounds in english dubs.

When I watched Death Note, I didn't even know it had been dubbed.
I could only find the subbed version.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 08:12:41 pm »

My only real experience with subs and dubs is french films, and then I knew well enough despite any bad subs they were nowhere as bad as the dubs.

My god, John Reno does not sound like that.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 08:15:50 pm »

Actually, dubs are good on cheesy kung-fu movies.
Makes it funnier.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 08:28:21 pm »

Now, see, I'm more of a dub guy, myself. Sometimes it just seems that all the guys who dislike them haven't actually come across any of the good ones and write the whole thing off as (insert language here) being worse in English, and quite frankly I don't think that's the case.

I will, however, go watch something subbed if the dub sucks or there isn't one.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 08:37:21 pm »

Makes it funnier.

This is true.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 12:03:43 am »

Makes it funnier.

This is true.
While we're on that note:

There are certain movies that are better off subbed, rather than dubbed. For example: Life is Beautiful, the numerous fighting movies in the vein of Crouching Tiger: Hidden Dragon, Hero, and so on (the other movies slipped my mind), and mostly classic foreign films.

In the case of anime, it's a matter of perspective. Example being Lupin III. Not only does the dub have a more recent rehashing of script (aside the original which has decades old references, which either aren't as funny, or harder to get), but the voices seem to fit the characters better. Plus, in some cases it sorta fits their aesthetic personality better. Applying to plenty other shows, that is.

I dunno. Personally, with live action, I prefer subbed, and anime, if produced, I prefer dub, unless I'm missing something, or don't like the dubbing. It's also mostly, like I said earlier, more a case of familiarity, if anything.

EDIT:
And I agree with older people trying to sound like kids. In most cases, regardless the quality overall of the dubbing, it's rather painful on the ears. However, Shin-Chan is a different case. At least they make fun of that sort of thing. I think Lucky Star made a similar point.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 12:06:33 am by Itnetlolor »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 12:04:59 am »

The dubbing on full metal alchemist works pretty well, too.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 12:17:50 am »

The dubbing on full metal alchemist works pretty well, too.

Agreed.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 12:44:07 am »

I think the worst dubs I've seen were in Code Geass, where someone was speaking in English. The dubs (why were they even there?) didn't match what was being said.

Sometimes with dubs they have the subtitles for the original translation of what is being said, where as what you hear is the translation + reworking the dialogue to fit the mouth movements and action.

DBZ DVD's for example have both subtitles encoded into them (which allows you to make some interesting comparisons in some places.)

My preference? Generally doesn't worry me which I view it in unless the voice acting is REALLY horrible.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 10:16:28 am »

I think the worst dubs I've seen were in Code Geass, where someone was speaking in English. The dubs (why were they even there?) didn't match what was being said.

Sometimes with dubs they have the subtitles for the original translation of what is being said, where as what you hear is the translation + reworking the dialogue to fit the mouth movements and action.
Not quite. I meant subs, not dubs. There was one line in English over an intercom system. The subs didn't match the speech.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 12:12:12 pm »

I prefer well done Dubs!

Otherwise I prefer Subs.

I am starting to think the one thing Voice Actors REALLY need to work on are the Crying scenes, yelling, being sad, and stuff. Why is it that voice actors always fumble the emotional core of the animes?

A Freeky thing about the voice actor for Inuyasha is he went into dubbing children cartoons... It is FREEKY watching a talking frog with Inuyasha's voice.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 12:43:45 pm »

I do prefer subtitles for any French films I watch, since the dubs tend to be rubbish.  I can also understand quite a lot of the French, and it's good practise for me.

Although I haven't been watching much anime recently due to increased workload from school.  Hmm, might start watching some more now.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 12:09:44 am »

A Freeky thing about the voice actor for Inuyasha is he went into dubbing children cartoons... It is FREEKY watching a talking frog with Inuyasha's voice.
What show is this? Is the frog teaching the Iron Reaver techniques to kids? Making backlash waves in the pond? Making adamant barrages of lessons?

On the note of Inuyasha; it's a shame it was cut short on production, and the only way to get the rest of the story is via manga. And coordinating where you left off is a real pain with that many chapters/episodes. And holy crap, how many more episodes could've been made when I saw the list.
Pages: 1 [2] 3