Subs
- 30 (73.2%)
Dubs
- 5 (12.2%)
Whatsit?
- 6 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: MOAR Anime discussion: Subs or Dubs  (Read 3346 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MOAR Anime discussion: Subs or Dubs
« on: November 07, 2009, 06:31:19 pm »

So... Yeah. I didn't see a topic about this, so here we are.

I watch subs, except when none exist. Don't ask me why. I find reading easier than listening to (potentially awful) spoken dialog. I'm not one of the elitists who say you're braindamaged for watching dubs, though. Hey, it's your choice.

What are your preferences?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: MOAR Anime discussion: Subs or Dubs
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 07:03:17 pm »

Subs are much better.

Exceptions: One piece and Dragonball Z.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 07:38:54 pm »

I prefer subs, besides what usually ends up as a changed script you end up getting alot of voices that sound so wrong for the characters when they talk in english.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 07:39:48 pm »

Sometimes dubs are good, but usually they have crappy voice actors.
Therefore, I prefer subs.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 08:52:50 pm »

Subs if:
The series hasn't been translated into English
The dub version is cheap/ shitty
A lot gets lost in translation (desu)

Dubs if:
The series has been translated into English with a reasonable amount of effort
You're sick of reading the hastily slipped in translation notes

So, uh, yeah.  I watched the first season of Haruhi dubbed, and that was fine, but I understand other dubbed shows are a bit crappy.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 09:09:46 pm »

Subs if:
The series hasn't been translated into English
The dub version is cheap/ shitty
A lot gets lost in translation (desu)

Dubs if:
The series has been translated into English with a reasonable amount of effort
You're sick of reading the hastily slipped in translation notes
Agreed, but also:

Sub:
-Much also gets taken out in the dubbed/US versions that are lost between translations, so Sub for the extra stuff that was missing
-More anime to choose from to watch
-Translation of the theme songs. I like to know what I'm hearing. (After all, death and dismemberment can be a lighthearted and cheerfully tuned song, like a kid's show. ???)

Dub:
-I got too used to it the first I watched anime (IE- though I know the Dub version of Bleach is far behind Sub and manga, I'm too used to the routine I have watching it, plus the voices.)
-Not all the voice acting is bad, then again, the shows I've seen were mostly TV broadcast, and chosen for those reasons (ratings).
-Can't bother enjoying a series in the background if it's subbed (can't translate Japanese while hearing it)

I've gotten too used to watching dubbed, so yeah...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 02:36:28 pm by Itnetlolor »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 09:16:51 pm »

I'll watch either if they're good, although the poor done subs that scrawl over eachother is not nice at all.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 09:41:29 pm »

Hmm I've never really had an issue with subs being unreadable. Cept for certain things like the explanation for a word at the top that ye have to pause the video for anyway, but then again those explanations are usually at least mildly interesting anyway.

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 10:57:03 pm »

I like subs myself, just because I like to hear the Japanese dialog, since I speak a (very) little Japanese.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 12:31:54 am »

sub:I first heard it in japanes
dub:I first heard it in anglish

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 07:02:56 am »

Hmm I've never really had an issue with subs being unreadable. Cept for certain things like the explanation for a word at the top that ye have to pause the video for anyway, but then again those explanations are usually at least mildly interesting anyway.
I haven't ever had a problem with unreadable dubs either.  Wait, that's a lie.  The opening credits for Rozen Maiden had unreadable dubs.  But that's about it.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 10:09:07 am »

I haven't ever had a problem with unreadable dubs either.  Wait, that's a lie.  The opening credits for Rozen Maiden had unreadable dubs.  But that's about it.
Well the opening and ending credits get some wierd stuff happening with them somethings, often a flowerly font is used for that matter.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 11:54:21 am »

I think the worst dubs I've seen were in Code Geass, where someone was speaking in English. The dubs (why were they even there?) didn't match what was being said.

I started to watch Elfen Lied, but the subs on my site appeared four seconds before the dialog was spoken.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 11:57:13 am »

I don't believe dubs are fundamentally worse than subs in anyway, but generally in anime the quality of the English dub is so poor that even the shittiest fansub is an improvement.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 03:45:12 pm »

I don't believe dubs are fundamentally worse than subs in anyway, but generally in anime the quality of the English dub is so poor that even the shittiest fansub is an improvement.

This.

Additionally, alot of dubbing tends to completely ignore what the original characters sounded like, which can often lead to some really wierd characterisation at times.

Also, i can't tell the difference between poor Japanese voice acting and good Japanese voice acting, but i can tell the difference between the same in English, so if i watch subs it doesn't matter how crappy the voice acting is; it still sounds fine XD

Finally, i have a bit of a thing going; i prefer to watch\listen\read etc works in their original format, as all too often people who 'translate' them tend to take liberties without telling anyone, which drives me up the wall on principle.
Pages: [1] 2 3