Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your favorite thing to see in a new embark  (Read 1922 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your favorite thing to see in a new embark
« on: November 07, 2009, 05:43:40 pm »

My favorite thing has to be  "You have struck Magnetite" two layers into digging my inverted tower fortress. Forget the [REDACTED], the king should come when you strike magnetite, it's way more fun (though not necessarily funtm like the [REDACTED]).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite thing to see in a new embark
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 05:57:01 pm »

Scrolling through the units list and seeing a breeding pair of giant bats. Or a breeding pair of any exotic animals currently present on the map.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mapleleaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 06:00:09 pm »

A perfect mountain side next to a river, meaning like 7 z levels up, with 1 tile wide 'slopes' so it's not a cliff; THE perfect site for a glorious mountain fort, with a golden entrance.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 06:07:29 pm »

An awesome geological formation, be it an island formed by river canyons, a major river 20 levels deep, or a mountain peak with a shape that suggests some local deity is flipping the bird at me.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 06:09:29 pm »

A magma pipe and bottomless pit occupying the same tiles.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 06:14:02 pm »

A brook right next to a perfect wall for entering the mountain with a front yard full of trees.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 06:15:02 pm »

Lots and lots of dangerous animals!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 06:28:11 pm »

Scrolling through the units list and seeing a breeding pair of giant bats. Or a breeding pair of any exotic animals currently present on the map.

How would you catch them? Set up a cage trap and hope beyond they trip it?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 06:31:27 pm »

If the chasm's closed, set up a one tile hallway filled with cage traps, and a giant bat or two should eventually wander through them.

If the chasm's open, then set cage traps on the surface and hope they wander in.

One reason I like closed chasms. Also I don't have to deal with antmen tearing apart my embarking seven.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

The Navigator

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 07:16:04 pm »

An open magma pipe set into the side of a mountain, carving a massive 20z sheer cliff face overlooking fiery death below.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 07:21:38 pm »

I like it when I see terrain that is easily defensible without too much changing of it. Usually a river close to my starting wagon that I can make my entrance across. Perferable with dangerous fish that can tear apart seiges as they come across the bridge.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 08:39:55 pm »

Dangerous things, frozen brooks.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 09:43:01 pm »

Giant cave spider silk webs.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 12:11:41 am »

Awesome geological formations. So far the massive water fall that splits off into several rivers, each with their own water fall, and each of those splitting up and making THEIR own water fall, and so on and so for for about 4 times is to date the most awesome I've seen.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 12:31:37 am »

Awesome geological formations. So far the massive water fall that splits off into several rivers, each with their own water fall, and each of those splitting up and making THEIR own water fall, and so on and so for for about 4 times is to date the most awesome I've seen.

I don't suppose you still have that map laying around.  Quite frankly, I don't believe you...mostly because I've never seen more than one(usually very large) waterfall per map before.

On topic - I like to see a brook near a hill.  Not sure why, but that's usually where on any given map I choose to initially set up shop, regardless of where it is in relation to my wagon.
Pages: [1] 2