Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Nidal Malik Hasan has gone berserk!  (Read 14242 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Nidal Malik Hasan has gone berserk!
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2009, 03:52:13 am »

There was never any honor and the gun didn't change that one bit mate.

I never said there was.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2009, 04:25:45 am »

You say the gun removed it, implying that there was mate.

Also, Strife. I have a feeling that to just "leave the army" might not have been anywhere near as easy as you make out for this person.
Magma is overrated.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2009, 04:28:16 am »

Lets remember that he was chanting Allahu Akbar the whole time.

which is something that 1/6 of the earth's population does on a daily basis ooooooo fanaticism
They kill people while chanting "Allahu Akbar"?

What a strange world you live in.

No, he was referring to prayer-time.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2009, 07:51:20 am »

oooooh, what a greater debater YOU are!

Contribute to the discussion or don't post, but don't post childish intentional misinterpretations

Also, I love that you guys think it's "in character" for me to bomb people, presumably because I'm angry and have Arabic in my avatar. I'm actually a pacifist IRL
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2009, 08:20:47 am »

To be fair mate, i don't think anyone, especially qmarx with that comment, were suggesting anything about you personally.
Magma is overrated.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2009, 08:23:00 am »

You say the gun removed it, implying that there was mate.

Also, Strife. I have a feeling that to just "leave the army" might not have been anywhere near as easy as you make out for this person.

No, I said the gun removed any pretense of honor.  Please read my posts before you tell me what I said.

Before the gun nobles would challenge each other to duels with various close combat weapons that required years of training to be any good with.  Then the gun was developed and anyone could kill anyone from a distance with a flick of the finger.  Once it's that easy to kill, there's no point in even pretending that trying to kill someone is honorable.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2009, 09:03:20 am »

Before the gun nobles would challenge each other to duels with various close combat weapons that required years of training to be any good with.  Then the gun was developed and anyone could kill anyone from a distance with a flick of the finger.  Once it's that easy to kill, there's no point in even pretending that trying to kill someone is honorable.

I think the crossbow at least started to do that before the gun came along.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2009, 09:04:53 am »

I guess i misread what you were trying to say. If you'd just left it at "removed any pretense of honor", i could get it, but then going on with mentioning how anyone could kill anyone with "the flick of a finger" (i disagree there, its not that easy to shoot. but that's another debate), I assumed you were refering to general combat, saying how it had become less honorable.
Magma is overrated.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2009, 09:18:35 am »

childish intentional misinterpretations

which is something that 1/6 of the earth's population does on a daily basis ooooooo fanaticism

Stop that, man.
Shoes...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2009, 10:40:55 am »

Do note my comment had nothing to do with Judes spirituality but his general hostility towards damn near everything. Cool off man.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2009, 10:50:27 am »

I agree with Duke. Our chill composure is rapidly melting in this thread.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2009, 11:41:59 am »

Hey, I have to ask: why is it more "honorable" to kill someone in hand to hand combat rather than with a gun? While we are at it, what does "honorable"  mean to begin with?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2009, 11:59:06 am »

Lets remember that he was chanting Allahu Akbar the whole time.

Did anyone you're quoting say that?  No.

To clarify my mental illness comment.  People willing to commit terrorist acts are already mentally ill.  Anyone who thinks it's worth murdering a whole bunch of innocent people to cause terror is being totally irrational.  Frankly, Strife sounds exactly like the kind of nuts we should lock up and keep out of the military at any cost, because they're bound to start shooting up civilians and giving the psychos who want to kill us more recruits.  The gun removed any pretense of honor from war.  One person can kill another, simply with a flick of the finger. There's no contest, it's just kill or be killed.

How, pray tell am I a nut? True, I put colateral damage third on my priorities, and Mogadoshu would have been considerably more shot up if I had been in charge, but I'm not going to go around a shoot civies.

And claiming that the gun somehow 'removed' honor from war is silly. Because it made killing so easy? I claim that, if anything, the atlatl removed honor from war cuz you could kill with a flick of the wrist. Or the invention of the horse, becuase you didn't stand a chance if you didn't have one. Or the steel sword, or plate armor. Or the crossbow.

What happens if someone invents effective energy weapons? Does that change the situation? Or automaticly operating robots? Is that negative honor, or do guns become better in retrospect?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2009, 12:04:42 pm »

It's 39-2 that specifically goes against wearing enemy uniforms.

"2. It is prohibited to make use of the flags or military emblems, insignia or uniforms of adverse Parties while engaging in attacks or in order to shield, favour, protect or impede military operations."

I missed that. Bah. I'd personally see that sort of thing as a valid tactic. Pretend to be the enemy, and then sneak in. I personally hope that the United States military doesn't think the same way and end up breaking 39-2 in the process. I can't really argue my way out of that, but...meh. You can't change international law in the same way you can change national law. I'll vouch my disagreement with 39-2, and end it there.

When I played Mercenaries 1, I used to disguse myself as either the enemy (or more often, as civilians) to get passed enemy forces. I don't think I would be able to claim to be a spy...so Mercenaries 1 actually promoted violating international law. Terrible!
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2009, 12:06:31 pm »

@Chainmanpoo: Ask Mel Gibson.
Or better yet, Gaahl from Gorgoroth, who apparently tortured a man in self defence. Silly norwegians.

Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10