Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Nidal Malik Hasan has gone berserk!  (Read 14241 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Nidal Malik Hasan has gone berserk!
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 05:56:34 am »

I got a report on this thread.  So, just a reminder to spiral off into disaster, etc., in case anything is brewing.

Remember to spiral off into disaster?  Will do! ;D

I don't really see any reason for discussion of this until some actual solid information comes out.  I mean.  This is the first I've heard of it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:58:25 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 07:27:48 am »

He's a fucking homegrown islamist extremist.Fucker. End.

Until I get to watch his execution.

Wow you make America proud

It probably won't occur to you that people like you are the reason this happened
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 07:48:08 am »

Totally not what I meant by not spiraling off to disaster.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 02:11:37 pm »

I know we're supposed to not turn this into an argument, so I'll say the one thing that I think might be allowable.  While a PM might be more polite, this is the kind of thing that demands sunlight.

Strife, I expected better of you.  I am more worried than ever about your desire to be a soldier.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 02:26:25 pm »

Well that simply begs the question, what kind of person wants to be a soldier in this day and age.  But let's not try to answer than here.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 04:59:08 pm »

Well that simply begs the question, what kind of person wants to be a soldier in this day and age.  But let's not try to answer than here.
"Raises the question", not "begs."  "Begging the question" is making an argument that depends on the premise you're arguing for to be true already.  I'm not saying that because I'm the asshole, really I'm not.  But you'll meet that asshole & I'd just like you to be ready for him or her.

Anyway, the same kind of person that's always wanted to be a soldier:
those that want to be killers
those that want to be patriots
those that want power
those that want the political gain
those that want the practical benefits
those that don't have many other viable options

They can most all be made into killers or patriots or politicians or whatever.

I'm from a very military town.  (Colorado Springs has over 600,000 in the metro area, but it's more like a small town with a glandular problem than a real city.)  I've met all those sorts and more.  Some of the killers are totally okay people.  They've just had some needs met that most of us will never acknowledge or explore, if we have such needs on any level at all.

Healthy shrinks see shrinks, just like healthy doctors see doctors, healthy ministers see ministers, and even lawyers see lawyers.  Introspection is a trap, you got to poke it with a stick before you start sticking your fingers in it.

When investigating the unwell mind is your bread and butter, your mind is somewhat more at risk than the mind of the average Joe.  There are safeties build into the schooling, the profession, and the institution, but shit slips through the cracks and shit happens.  Staring into the abyss, and all that, you know?

As for the unfortunate man, he was just doing what you and I and every other human being do every day: solving problems.  We all make fucking stupid choices all the damn time.  And the less choices we feel like we have, the more likely we are to choose the more stupid ones we have left.  It's not just that good choices are being eliminated, it's that the less choices we have, the more likely we are to choose the stupidest fucking possible options left.

That's why you leave your opponents an escape whenever possible, a way out of conflict that saves them their position or their property or their person or at least their dignity.  Now, that isn't ever going to work perfectly for the way the armed forces treat their members.  These brave men & women must be trapped by the decisions of their superiors.  That's the way it works and we don't know no other way to work it.

Dude had, has circumstances.  We all have circumstances.  Dude is going to deal with the consequences of his circumstances and actions.  Unfortunately, so are his victims, everyone who cared about or even knew his victims, everyone touched by the aftermath and all that crap.

It's a G-ddamned tragedy, is what it is, for the victims, for their families & friends, for the shooter and anyone associated with him, for Ft. Hood, for the military, for America, & for Islam.  We ain't got a caring, just world in which to keep our asses, so potentially-educational shit like this is going to happen from time to time.  Sucks.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2009, 05:01:08 pm »

He's still a human being, no matter what he did. Never over-simplify a case like this.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2009, 06:14:17 pm »

It's a G-ddamned tragedy, is what it is, for the victims, for their families & friends, for the shooter and anyone associated with him, for Ft. Hood, for the military, for America, & for Islam.
I remarked something akin to this when we were finished with the jokes. "Monsters" like Josep Fritzl are few and far between. Many crimes are committed by normal people who lose it. That's what makes them tragic.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2009, 06:17:06 pm »

He's still a human being, no matter what he did. Never over-simplify a case like this.
Both of you, stop taking things to a logical extreme!
It is not extremely logical.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2009, 06:22:46 pm »

Not cool dude!

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2009, 07:22:21 pm »

My what broad and sweeping racial prejudices do you paint. Oh my he is a Muslim and he's killed a whole lot of Americans he must be an Islamist extremist.

He's the camp's psychiatrist who was going to be deployed into Afghanistan in a few months time. What type of stress can that put on a person. Who can he go to when he's the guy everybody goes to with their problems?

Now I'm not defending the guy, but your argument also reeks of World War I dogma, people who refused to believe that the soldiers could suffer a mental break down, and that anybody who ran away or refused to fight was considered a coward.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2009, 07:50:15 pm »

Lets remember that he was chanting Allahu Akbar the whole time.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2009, 08:04:41 pm »

I should watch the news more. This is such a sad story.

I'm reminded of the stories where psychiatrists become suicidally depressed from listening to all their depressed clients.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2009, 08:08:53 pm »

Curiously (or maybe not), the medical profession with the highest rate of suicide is actually Dentists, although Psychiatrists are close behind.  Out of the entire populace, Police Officers lead in likelihood of suicide.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2009, 08:40:49 pm »

Let's not forget that the guy had apparently gone on some very extreme rants in the past, but people were afraid to complain.  I still think Strife was out of line, but let's not leap to the guy's defense either.  He killed 13 people, and "I didn't want to go to Iraq" isn't an acceptable excuse for that.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10