Advanced search  

Poll

is it possible to use DF on linux?

Yes
- 9 (90%)
No
- 1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: DF on Linux - Help Needed  (Read 1259 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF on Linux - Help Needed
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:29:37 pm »

is it possible to run DF on Linux? If so, how?

I'm gonna try it with WINE later today, but any other help is appreciated.

EDIT: See post further down...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 05:32:23 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF on Linux
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 11:33:57 pm »

Once again, DF folk are making life excessively difficult.

There's a native Linux version of DF.  Or, at least, there's a native Linux version of 40d16.  Use that.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=40349.0

And for sake of completion, yes.  Lots of people run Windows DF in Wine for the sole purpose of having access to Windows utilities.

MP2E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 02:15:49 am »

Yup Linux works great here, I do wish DF had a native x64 build, but you can't have everything :P Now we just need more utilities ::)

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 03:07:36 am »

DF works fine with WINE, the native version works fine as well.
But don't try and run dfcompanion or dtil!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 05:03:52 pm »

So I'm trying to get the native version to work, but I have some problems. DF doesn't seem to recognize that I have the files it needs:

/home/user/My Documents/DwarfFort/df_linux> ./df
./dwarfort.exe: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by ./dwarfort.exe)
./dwarfort.exe: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by ./dwarfort.exe)
mkdir: cannot create directory `unused_libs': File exists
mv: cannot stat `libs/libSDL*': No such file or directory
./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libgio-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/home/user/My Documents/DwarfFort/df_linux>

I've done it as Root and the normal user....I installed all of the Libs it said it needed through apt-get, and it said I already had the highest version...any ideas on what to do?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: DF on Linux - Help Needed
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 05:41:39 pm »

quinnr, you're much more likely to get help if you bring it up in the dedicated topic: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=40349.0

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 05:43:13 pm »

Oh yeah, thank you.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 05:57:25 am »

Could it just be because of spaces in file path?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 11:12:23 am »

No, the problem is that my CPU doesn't have glibc 2.4+. Baughn says my linux installation is old, but I'm gonna put Ubuntu or something else on here. (my normal CPU is broken, and I can't survive without all my dwarves!)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 08:51:21 pm »

I'm just going to suggest that, if you're going to use Linux, you know the difference between computer and Central Processing Unit.
One is required for the other, and, indeed, a very large part of it, but the two are very much not the same thing.

As for the problem itself..
You do know the main attraction for Linux is that you can, for the most part (not counting KDE/GNOME/etc) just download the libraries you're missing?
Although, you'd probably be best off running Ubuntu anyway.
It really is the most user-friendly distribution that I've seen.  I set a virtual machine up with it in about 30 minutes and was able to run d16 right off the bat.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 12:37:12 am »

I'm actually pretty new to linux, and I've been wanting to install Ubuntu anyway.