Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Human Farm  (Read 3276 times)

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
Human Farm
« on: November 06, 2009, 06:17:39 am »

What skills and which things should I take to start a farm which will evolve into the greatest human city?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 06:19:37 am by Shintaro Fago »

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Human Farm
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 06:24:41 am »

Err...
Probably belongs to the Dwarf HUMAN MODE sub-fora.

But... I mis-read the title as... Farming humans? (As in, breeding them for PROFIT)

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 06:38:10 am »

breeding humans
:o
My next project is involving a city miniature walled with clear glass inside the actual fortress

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 07:04:58 am »

No, put a human antfarm on display in every bedroom!
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 09:11:34 am »

Yeah, my perception was the same as the Minister's. I was pleased. Then I opened the topic and was disappointed.

As to your actual question: Carpentry is important. If it's a farm, you should have growers, as well as a butcher and tanner. Other than that, what ever you feel like will fit well.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 09:18:21 am »

Err...

But... I mis-read the title as... Farming humans? (As in, breeding them for PROFIT)

I thought the same thing when I read the title.  I wonder what that says about our mental states.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 09:24:18 am »

Err...

I thought the same thing when I read the title.  I wonder what that says about our mental states.
Dwarf Fortress Addiction Personality Disorder
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 09:50:54 am »

And onto the original topic, note a Human Town is not as difficult as one would think. Just imagine a dwarven fortress, only aboveground. Most of the challenges here would have to be self-imposed, such as how much you will depend on the underground and what dwarven features you will let stay.

As far as farming goes, you don't need farms any larger than normal dwarven fortresses. As it stands your population can be sustained by a 5x5 plot for under 50 citizens and a second plot will satisfy whatever population you want. This is assuming you won't brew, as humans only need water.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 11:00:45 am »

Ah, but Duke, this town could become the breadbasket of the entire nation world!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 11:10:21 am »

Ah, but Duke, this town could become the breadbasket of the entire nation world!

Don't the dwarves already hold a monopoly on prepared meals?

To the original question; if you REALLY want to sustain a strong rural community for an extended period, bring all of the agriculture professions(Butchery, Tanning, Farming, Dyeing, Milling, Brewing, Plant Gathering, Cooking) and not much more...maybe some carpentry and woodcutting.  You'll need a miner for purposes of channeling water for irrigation and the like.  An engineer wouldn't hurt, you'll be growing a lot of stuff that needs processing...

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 11:38:29 am »

Make a proper quarry, so you have stone for making archery towers and a basic perimeter wall.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 12:40:27 pm »

Make a proper quarry, so you have stone for making archery towers and a basic perimeter wall.
And damn near everything.
 Quarrying stone is ten times more convenient than chopping trees, as it doesn't take three years to get a new layer to use as material.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

The Navigator

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 01:21:49 pm »

And damn near everything.
 Quarrying stone is ten times more convenient than chopping trees, as it doesn't take three years to get a new layer to use as material.

One thing I'll do if I'm really set on having those wooden buildings is create a reaction to smelt logs into 5 planks each. "Plank" would simply be a rock type with the ignition point of lignite. This is really useful for extending wood supplies for construction and making mechanisms if you'd rather not mar the landscape with massive quarries.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 01:33:23 pm »

Damnation.  I had hoped to open a page about a fortress named Soylent Glassgreen, dedicated to trading with its sister fortresses Mermaidgrabbed the Seller of Totems and Elfhanged for only the best in being beverages.

As for the OP... well, basically the same things that dwarves want.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 08:58:29 pm »

My feeble attempts to shoehorn this into a "How do I mine for fish?" joke aren't working.  But you get the idea.

Thread title gives me a total "Rats In the Walls" flashback.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 3