Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Thief discovered while paused?!  (Read 1180 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Thief discovered while paused?!
« on: November 05, 2009, 11:53:40 pm »

I know "Something happened while paused" is a well-known bug, but I haven't seen this before... I was setting some mine designations, and after a selection I got the "Thief!  Protect the hoard from skulking filth!" message.

So, this makes me wonder... does this mean undiscovered thieves are able to move around while paused??
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Thief discovered while paused?!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 12:44:25 am »

The game basically advances 1 frame every time you designate something with the mouse. Granted, I haven't seen dwarves move around while doing mass mouse designations, but it is possible the unit moved onto a nearby tile just as you paused it, but several frames before it was detected for being next to a unit.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 12:50:56 am »

It seems more likely to me that there's no guarantee that units can see adjacent stealthed units (after all, we know that babysnatchers can steal babies from their mothers' arms even when said mothers are surrounded by other incredibly-powerful soldiers). Then the "see if unit can see adjacent stealthed unit" check continues to run even when the game is paused, upping your odds of noticing the stealthed unit.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 01:14:15 pm »

Guess I should mention that I wasn't using the mouse to make the designations, but it was a fairly large one.

I don't know that there is a chance to be detected, I thought it was immediate as soon as the enemy came into contact with something else on the map (I've had thieves caught by wild wolves before).  The wiki suggests this in its recommendation to restrain two animals on opposite sides of a 3-tile wide path to guarantee no thief ever gets past.  Is this inaccurate?
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 01:39:07 pm »

My point is mostly that it's clear that babysnatchers at least are able to do their jobs, which intuitively would require them to be able to stand next to other units without being noticed. I've certainly also experienced wildlife noticing thieves, and I've done the "chain an animal at the entrance" trick too. *shrug*

Incidentally, you don't have to use the mouse to have things happen while the game is paused. The mouse causes things to happen faster when paused, compared to using the keyboard.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 10:39:29 pm »

I'm guessing this is relating to the bugs where your dwarves can still gain skill levels, and your leader can still have meetings with traders, when you do a tile designation of any kind.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 07:23:14 am »

and your leader can still have meetings with traders, when you do a tile designation of any kind.

Useful when you want to hurry up and get through with the meeting the liason stuff.