Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crazy Megastructure Ideas That Probably Won't Work!  (Read 1346 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Crazy Megastructure Ideas That Probably Won't Work!
« on: November 05, 2009, 10:26:30 pm »

As I was laying in bed this morning (I got this terrible chest cold and I cant do much other than lay around) I was thinking to myself about various projects that I should make in DF. One of them came to me as a result of the new "no height" sky limit.

Make a cast obsidian tower. Yes. That's right. Pump the magma to each floor than pour water and make each floor cast obsidian. Dig it out, smooth it, engrave it and the whole tower would be barracks', stockpiles, workshops and rooms. It would be amazing if you could pull it off.

If. Anyone else got crazy ideas that you would like to see done that just would be crazy to do? Anyone have an supporting tips for HOW to make such a craazy megastructure?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Megastructure Ideas That Probably Won't Work!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 10:53:32 pm »

You can do cast obsidian towers right now. They're just limited to 15 Z-levels plus a bit depending on local terrain variation; that's still tons given that your average fort doesn't need more than five or six layers underground.

In fact, the goblins can also make cast obsidian towers, apparently...
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Danneh

• Bay Watcher
  • Witty Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 10:57:44 pm »

That particular project has been done before.

As for how to do it, simply build a giant mould for the tower you want to create, building a tower as you normally would, but hollow. Build two seperate pump stacks up the side, and power them. Alternate dumping magma and water to create solid obsidian layers, remove mould, and presto. A tower, the way towers were meant to be built.

Fake edit; beaten by Derakon
Quote from:  Forumgoer
Out-of-Context Quote

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 10:59:27 pm »

Its been done? Ive never seen or heard of a project...
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Danneh

• Bay Watcher
  • Witty Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 11:27:38 pm »

Here is a notable one. Loses style points for being square, but is HUGE to make up for it.
Quote from:  Forumgoer
Out-of-Context Quote

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 12:39:52 pm »

Too bad the waterfall site doesn't have magma - ~50z levels to play with would make an impressive tower.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 03:10:45 pm »

Here is a notable one. Loses style points for being square, but is HUGE to make up for it.
Overcompensating much?

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 03:11:20 pm »

I did the obsidian monolith , and I'm currently doing a map where my dwarves live and eat in an circular obsidian tower, while they work in an circular ice tower. 

I very much more enjoy the engineering of the casting, than the actual usage, and I'll tell you why: you make a cast obsidian tower so that you can do engravings where you damn well please.  Which means you need to dig your layout right *the first time*, because if you mess up, then you can't engrave that area anymore. 

And I can't take that sort of pressure.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 05:56:57 pm »

Man, that's some fucked up shit  :-\