Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 214691 times)

nowanmai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #945 on: January 26, 2010, 03:01:00 am »

Just a little and probably dumb question - how do you dig upwards?

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: January 26, 2010, 03:20:18 am »

Are you trying to move up to Z+1 after digging out a tunnel on Z=0? Or are you trying to do some "reverse channeling" and empty out Z+1 while staying on Z=0 the whole time? 
Days of frantic effort can save you hours of careful planning.

nowanmai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: January 26, 2010, 03:48:34 am »

Are you trying to move up to Z+1 after digging out a tunnel on Z=0? Or are you trying to do some "reverse channeling" and empty out Z+1 while staying on Z=0 the whole time? 

The latter i guess. I can always build up stairs right?

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: January 26, 2010, 06:20:46 am »

You can dig "up" stairs, or, if you need to go up from an already-dug tunnel, you need to Construct "up" stairs.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: January 26, 2010, 03:56:23 pm »

perhaps they can hear their vicious howls and black-tongued curses echoing through the walls and echoing through the fortress?

is there any way to force sand onto your map? short of futzing with the eldritch files of my region?

Yeah, actually. If you have an underground river or pool, harvested tower-caps leave muddy sand behind.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: January 26, 2010, 04:57:50 pm »

I had a cave-in and my miner was knocked out but survived, but I found a stack of dwarf bones at the cave in site even though nobody died, where did they come from?
Check to see if the dwarf lost a limb, those will produce bones after they're done rotting.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: January 26, 2010, 05:08:46 pm »

perhaps they can hear their vicious howls and black-tongued curses echoing through the walls and echoing through the fortress?

is there any way to force sand onto your map? short of futzing with the eldritch files of my region?

Yeah, actually. If you have an underground river or pool, harvested tower-caps leave muddy sand behind.
This has a chance to work or not within (I think) a given biome layer.  Could be by z-level.  Basically underground vegetation leaves a tile of soil behind, and that soil can be sand, silt, clay, etc.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: January 26, 2010, 09:33:16 pm »

Are moods based on how much skill a dwarf has?

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: January 26, 2010, 09:50:15 pm »

Whether a dwarf will get certain moods depends on whether (s)he has a relevant skill. Only smiths will produce artifact greaves, for example.

The list of moodable skills is at http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Strange_mood#Skills_and_workshops
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 09:51:50 pm by JaaSwb »
The fish are watching.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: January 26, 2010, 09:53:08 pm »

Er, so whether he has the skill matters, but not how good he is at it?

Also, I have a large animal pit, blocked by forbidden doors, where horses and such have been breeding for a while. How can I hunt them without letting them escape?

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: January 26, 2010, 09:56:29 pm »

The skill level does matter - the highest moodable skill decides what kind of item the mood produces. Non-moodable skills are ignored.
The fish are watching.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: January 26, 2010, 10:44:52 pm »

Ah. What about the breeding pit?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: January 26, 2010, 11:09:09 pm »

Er, so whether he has the skill matters, but not how good he is at it?

As JasSwb said, the highest moodable skill is all that is counted. Some people advocate having every migrant peasant and other non-moodable-skill-possessors make a single weapon from cheap metal, just so they're dabbling weaponsmiths so if they get a mood they'll make a useful and valuable weapon instead of a useless and cheap stone, wood, or bonecraft.

Also, I have a large animal pit, blocked by forbidden doors, where horses and such have been breeding for a while. How can I hunt them without letting them escape?
Make an airlock. Build a second set of forbidden doors, put your desired hunter, a butcher, a tanner, a butcher's shop, a tanner's shop, a pair of beds, tables, and chairs, a food stockpile with plentiful space and barrels, and a refuse stockpile between them, then forbid the outer doors and permit the inner doors. The hunter will then see that there are animals he can path to and will hunt them, hauling them back to the butchery, where the butcher will butcher them, then haul the meat and fat to the food stockpile, the bones, skull, and chunks to the refuse stockpile, and the tanner will make leather from the skin.

Strictly speaking, you don't actually "need" anything other than the hunter, but it's impossible to retrieve the resources other than bones if you don't have the other stuff to process the corpses before it rots away. If you're just harvesting wild animals for resources instead of trying to skill up a hunter, it's more efficient just to drop the animals a long distance so they're dead and accessible for your butcher et al.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: January 27, 2010, 02:31:05 pm »

Do moody dwarves collect the needed items in the order they demand them in? My possessed leatherworker is standing in the leather works and according to Dwarf Companion, she wants 2 pieces of leather(which she has), then cut gems(which I don't have), then everything else.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: January 27, 2010, 02:36:59 pm »

Yes, they collect them in order.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 181