Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 214382 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #555 on: December 31, 2009, 06:16:22 pm »

You can never be at war with your own civilization, but if the caravan got killed next year's caravan will be a lot smaller.  You will never get a new trade liason if yours gets killed however.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 31, 2009, 11:40:08 pm »

I see thanks! That's good to know. It's a good thing my trade liason escaped...

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 01, 2010, 05:12:04 am »

quick vagely related question if you play as a different race human for example can you go to war with either dwarves or humans?

Quixim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 01, 2010, 02:48:55 pm »

Okay, I've been foolindg around on adventurer mode and I can't do joint locks.

I can grab the throat, and then at the top it says "Strangle throat with whatever", and if I grab something with a hand, it tells me I can pinch, but I've never gotten the message saying I can lock or break a joint or anything. Is there something I'm missing? Do I have to grab, say, the upper body with the arm? Or maybe drop my weapon and shield in order to break limbs?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 01, 2010, 10:22:47 pm »

depends on the thing your wrestling.
animals dont have joints unless you mod them in, or download a mod that mods them in.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 02, 2010, 01:21:42 am »

Does food wear to nothingness from fire before it rots to nothingness?

Some of my military died in a fire, and their gear is guarded by flaming meat and fish.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 02, 2010, 03:17:48 am »

im not sure it dissapears at all, well in adventure mode atleast...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Magick

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_LEARN] [MAGICAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 02, 2010, 04:39:19 pm »

Little question, were i to add [SHARP] to a stone, would it require a regen?
"Alright, I'll trade you these mugs, and you'll give me those -Oh. Here. Just take this. WAIT. I DID NOT MEAN TO GIVE YOU THOSE."
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9079/1278257725299.jpg

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 02, 2010, 04:42:58 pm »

Little question, were i to add [SHARP] to a stone, would it require a regen?

In the matgloss_stone_layer.txt file. Adding it to a stone in the matgloss_stone_mineral.txt file might work too. As to it requiring a regen, I don't think so, but you can easily test that out yourself if you're already embarked. Just add it to a stone you got in abundance and if making stone swords from it doesn't work, then there's your answer.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #564 on: January 02, 2010, 06:24:15 pm »

Speaking of regen, can I add stuff to item_ammo without doing so? I forgot to add my special bolts.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 02, 2010, 09:59:28 pm »

What does it mean when a dwarf "made a satisfying acquisition?"

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 02, 2010, 10:10:07 pm »

I'm not sure, but I think that's when they buy something. I vaguely recall having seen that even in my forts, which I play with economy disabled, and I figure this might be when they get some new clothes from the stockpile, when their current ones are in a state of disrepair.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 02, 2010, 10:48:13 pm »

They've got hold of something new and shiny.

That happy thought is exactly why legendary clothiers are useful. New socks for the legendaries! MASTERWORK socks!
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 02, 2010, 11:37:26 pm »

Speaking of regen, can I add stuff to item_ammo without doing so? I forgot to add my special bolts.

You cannot add new entries of any kind without regens.

quick vagely related question if you play as a different race human for example can you go to war with either dwarves or humans?

Yes, if you mod the game correctly. You can never go to war with whatever your home civ is.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 02, 2010, 11:55:28 pm »

1. When you're posting on a forum, and not typing a text message on your cell, it is generally appreciated if you take the time to use proper punctuation and capitalization.

2. Depends on whether you mean officially declared war, about the modding of which I have no idea, or whether you're satisfied with a general (not formalized?) hostility, like the one exhibited by goblins towards your fortress in the unmodded game.

In short, if you want to get attacked by a civilization, then you should do the following: remove their [INTELLIGENT] tag and replace it with [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN]; the reasoning behind this is that an inability to communicate breeds hostility. I've modded my humans and elves that way, playing as dwarves, and it worked quite well.

If you want violence to really escalate, so you'll be besieged during your first summer, there's a couple things you need to do. Look for any [AMBUSHER], [SIEGER], [BABYSNATCHER], and [ITEM_THIEF] tags in your desired hostile entities, and get rid of them. I also removed [SKULKING] from my Kobolds' entry, but I'm not sure if that ever did anything in the first place. You should also set the variables on any [PROGRESS_TRIGGER] tags to 1.

The above changes are all done in the creature_standard and entity_default files.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:57:31 pm by assimilateur »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 181